Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: metastatic prostate cancer

Boolit Master

metastatic prostate cancer

Recent problems with my lower spine led me to get a MRI of that region. It showed several spots where metastatic bone cancer had started to grow. It interfered with my natural ability to control my bowel.

Metastatic prostate cancer is what happens when the prostate cancer morphs around it's need for testosterone to grow. The hormone therapy I've been on since 2010 is called Eligard. It sweeps testosterone from the blood, robbing the prostate cancer of what it needs to grow. Sometimes called chemical castration.

It's basically a death sentence, I may have a year left, possibly a bit more.

Two chemotherapy drugs in pill form will be used to fight it. One is prednisone, a steroid the other is Zytiga, abiraterone acetate, a targeted drug that has shown promise in slowing the growth of the cancer. Some studies say it doubles the life expectancy of some men.

I guess what I'm asking for is prayers and well wishes, but most importantly to ask all of you over 55 YO to go get the fickle finger test!!!! Along with a blood test to check your PSA! The earlier you catch it the longer you'll live.

BTW this is all being handled by my VA doctors at the VA clinic up in Green Bay WI. They're very good oncologists, and have all the modern knowledge and drugs to treat it. I'm in good hands!
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Sad news, snuffy. I offer my sincerest sympathy, best wishes, and I will pray for you. What would happen, I wonder, if you took supplemental testosterone?

Boolit Grand Master

I hate to hear that! Will be praying for you and your family. Also glad to hear that the VA is taking good care of you.

Banned

Praying for you brother
    Praying for the medication to have full effect

This is sad news. I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but you seem to have the heart of a fighter. I am confident a strong spirit positive attitude, and aggressive therapy can extend your life significantly. You have my prayers and my faith in a cure. Godspeed, sir.
    An Honest Man Keeps His Horse Saddled
    http://www.cardinalguns.com
    http://www.riflehunter.net

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    Most importantly do not give up.
    I have been diagnosed as terminal with cancer twice and I am still here.
    And...cancer free.
    Maintain a positive attitude and fight.
    I know receiving that kind of medical diagnosis is scary but you may be able to win this fight.
    I know... I am living proof.

Boolit Master
    I hate to hear that. I just got back this week from my prostate exam, as after having two colon surgeries, and the prostate being swollen for the last 20 years the Dr. wanted to see for himself. Psa was very low, and no trace of the colon cancer spreading. Hang in there, It can be beat. Like 375supermag said, It can get scary. My wife was taken into a private room to sigh some papers because I was in such shape that they thought I'd probably come out in a body bag. The first time my pulse rate was almost into the stroke range and I had a lung collapse. However, I'm still kicking and heading to the range tomorrow....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Prayers sent.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Boolit Grand Master

Prayers sent brother.

Boolit Master

Prayers sent
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Moderator Emeritus

Snuffy, I am sorry to hear about your diagnose. Brother, I will be praying for comfort and remission of that evil condition. Your Cast Boolits family is here for you and all you need to do is ask.
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Yes, Prayers sent for you and your family.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Master
    Godspeed! your spirit is refreshing
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

I will pray for you daily and those prayers will be your companion every step of the way. If you would PM me your first name, so I can pray with a real name and not a screen name.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    You are in my prayers.

Boolit Buddy
    Prayers sent

Boolit Master

Snuffy-You will be in my prayers.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master

May the peace that surpasses all understanding be the constant companion of you and your family as you walk through this valley.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Buddy
    I am praying for you now. God bless and cure you.

Boolit Master

Thanks so much for the caring and especially the prayers. I accepted the lord into my heart back in '83, I couldn't imagine going through this without his amazing grace and promise of everlasting life. As always, his will be done. If that means I go on to eternal life soon, then so be it. If however he decides to heal this then to him be the praise.

I'm going to see my oncologist on Tuesday to talk about diagnosis treatment regimen, and possibly his best guess about a prognosis. I self diagnosed this, but it's the only thing it could be. According to online sights like web MD, Zytiga has a good track record since it was first used back in 2011. It basically removes ALL the testosterone in my blood, even that which the Adrenal gland produces. Some patients have lived for 5 years.

Thanks again I'll update after seeing the Doctor.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast