Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well I discovered a lil problem...

Boolit Master
    been there done that. started casting one afternoon about halfway through I stopped for a little break drying the sweat from my glasses I managed to leave them somewhere so I just put on safety glasses instead, after finishing up I soon discovered why I had glasses, one of the alignment pins had dropped completely out of the mould!!! Rats now I'll have to dig thru that pail of bullets to find it, that's when I realized I had cast 3hrs of good bullets and about 4hrs of off-set bullets no doubt for an asperly aimless with an overbore offset. Oh the demons of age have struck again the good side was that there is no such thing as a bad casting experience.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by brass410 View Post
    been there done that. started casting one afternoon about halfway through I stopped for a little break drying the sweat from my glasses I managed to leave them somewhere so I just put on safety glasses instead, after finishing up I soon discovered why I had glasses, one of the alignment pins had dropped completely out of the mould!!! Rats now I'll have to dig thru that pail of bullets to find it, that's when I realized I had cast 3hrs of good bullets and about 4hrs of off-set bullets no doubt for an asperly aimless with an overbore offset. Oh the demons of age have struck again the good side was that there is no such thing as a bad casting experience.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Banned
    cw you should always wear glasses when casting. Mine have been splattered with lead on more than 1 occasion.

Once you get the alignment pins set, you will need to keep an eye on them.
    Is the mold too tight to the handles?
    I had a set of handles that didn't align with the mold until I enlarged the holes?

Keep the pins lubed with synthetic 2 stroke oil (Stihl is good)

I keep the oil in a needle tip bottle these are also great for oiling your guns and press, they allow you to dispense "micro drops"
    like these https://www.amazon.com/Needle-Applic...le+tip+bottles
    I haven't had oil foul a cavity after lubing the sprue screw since I started using these bottles 1 "micro drops" and your good to go.
    A couple micro drops on a lowly q-tip then lube the mold pins before and during the casting session will diminish the possibility of the pins slipping again
    if they do slip you can tap and use set screws or peen the mold depending on how close the pins are to the edge.

Boolit Master
    My RD mold did the same today. I was casting along when I looked and saw light through the cavity. I had to try other things, but I believe it is the pins, which are a cobalt blue color.

The last time I used my Lee 160 gr rn sc mold it did the same thing, so I mixed some J B Weld, poked the pins in and filled the holes with the goop. I didn't try that mold today. It is the very first mold that I ever bought for a 30/30....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12