Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Unbelievable gift from a neighbor

Unbelievable gift from a neighbor

I live in a small town in NH. My neighbor (1/2 mile away) is selling his house and land to another sheep farmer. He is moving to an even smaller town about 20 miles away to have more land. He is having a yard sale this weekend and I saw him in the garage so I stopped by on my way home as he was preparing for the sale.
    I couldn't make the sale over the weekend so I stopped to chat for a minute and see what he was putting out. I really don't need anything like tools, etc. but there was a TON of stuff like that for sale. Of course I asked him if he had any guns that he wanted to get rid of. He asked me to come in to the house because he had something he wanted to show me.
    He opened the safe and showed me some guns,. Browning shotguns, old Iver Johnson singles, Marlin Model 80 .22, old BB guns, etc. then he pulled out a Savage 23B Sporter in 25-20. The gun is in excellent shape with a perfect bore.
    He lamented the fact that he could never find a clip for it. He also had a box of 25-20 ammo and showed that to me too. Of course, I asked him how much he wanted for it.
    He said "TAKE IT". I was stunned. WHAT? Come on.....how much? He repeated "TAKE IT. I don't have a clip, never could find one, and it will just sit in the safe, so I know you like guns and I would rather give it to you than have it sit here."
    I was speechless.
    Sometimes people are so nice that it restores your faith in humanity. I told him that I really can't take it for nothing, so when he moves I will help him.
    I suppose that is the least I can do.
    I am still stunned............
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 08-10-2018 at 08:37 PM.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Banned

A 23B in .25-20 is on my "Must Have Eventually" list. Very generous of your friend.

Boolit Grand Master

Cool story. It sounds like you are loosing a good neighbor. Maybe you can stay in touch.

Boolit Grand Master

My neighbour give me something every day. He sends his dog over with a GIFT for my yard. Want to trade neighbours?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    If you could find a sample of the magazine, you could make one.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Wow, now that is a deal... I have new brass and bullets, have had for years looking for a decent 25-20 I could afford. Price does not get any better than that. Enjoy it!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    My neighbour give me something every day. He sends his dog over with a GIFT for my yard. Want to trade neighbours?
    Place I worked years ago had a good sized parking lot. We allowed anyone to park there unless we had a special event going on. There was a guy who lived in the apartment block across the ally who regularly parked there. This clown had 2 cute little dogs that he brought over onto our boulevard each and every morning and allowed them to mess on the grass. Needless to say this practice aggravated the guy who looked after our landscaping, so one morning I nicely asked the dog owner to pick-up after his dogs. I got a sneer and the comment that we live in a free country and he would do as he pleased. A couple of weeks later we had a meeting that lasted until 10 PM, so when I was leaving I got a stick, picked up some doggy-do, smeared it on the back side of one of his tires and let the air out of that tire. Funny thing---he began picking up after his dogs and he found somewhere else to park.
    R.D.M.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    If you could find a sample of the magazine, you could make one.
    Hey...I can hardly boil water. That would be way out of my league.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Grand Master

If your only going to plink and range use ( no hunting) a simple single shot block for it will make loading easier. These used to be available for the 22 target rifles. Also are available in the form of followers for different bolt actions and ARs.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    If your only going to plink and range use ( no hunting) a simple single shot block for it will make loading easier. These used to be available for the 22 target rifles. Also are available in the form of followers for different bolt actions and ARs.
    That IS an option. I could have a friend make something that would fill the slot where the magazine would go.
    Excellent idea.

Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    Wow, now that is a deal... I have new brass and bullets, have had for years looking for a decent 25-20 I could afford. Price does not get any better than that. Enjoy it!
    Hey...if you want to give up your hunt, I would be happy to buy the brass and bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Cool story. It sounds like you are loosing a good neighbor. Maybe you can stay in touch.
    I will. Now I have to find a #5 gas check H&G mould for 25-20!

Boolit Grand Master

And the search never ends!

Boolit Master

Numrich Arms lists a magazine for a 25-20 Savage SPORTER 23B at $36.80. See advertisement at:
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/197570
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    FISH4BUGS, if you are interested in casting for that rifle you will want the lighter (65-69 grain) patterns for it. My 23B would not group very well with the heavier boolits but responded nicely to the lighter weight boolits. If you need additional brass these can be made from 32-20 brass, there are several summaries on the web about the process.

Boolit Bub
    Very nice, wish i had neighbors like that

Boolit Master
    You Sir,are a fortunate fellow,Good luck with the new to you rifle.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck