RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners

Thread: Colt 1908 25 acp

Boolit Master

Colt 1908 25 acp

I came across a Colt 1908 .25 acp that looks interesting (under $300), not for the caliber but for the gun itself. I have a 1914 Mauser 32 acp, and I never thought I'd want a smaller caliber. So, in the scheme of collecting old guns, is the Colt 25 acp a good addition? I don't think I'd reload for it, but that might change.

Boolit Master

I would like to find a quality 25. That would fit the bill at that price as well. I would load for it, have the brass and bullets... just never found the gun I wanted!

Boolit Grand Master
    i have one that is kind of fun, but dotting the occasional Commie at the length of a dock is better left to Bond, James Bond. It is capable of man sized targets at 7 yards, but groups will run pretty large, 5-6 inches. I do not reload 25 ACP, my big fumble thumbs don't work well with those tiny cases.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

A Beretta 950bs Jetfire is always on my watch list!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I'm more interested in the gun itself as a collectible due to its age, history, design, etc. It's a Colt, it's cool looking, well made, probably accurate out to a yard or two.

Boolit Grand Master

Have had a couple of Beretta 950s both the Jetfire and a Minx as a back up gun since 1970, never failed to function and fire and will keep them all in the head at 7 yards. It has killed several possums and a coon or two. My dad carried a Colt 1908 in his boot for years it was also very reliable but it didn't fit me like the Beretta. There are times when any gun is better than none and 8 or 9 25's will do the job if needed. Gave my daughter the Minx for armadillo control.

Boolit Buddy
    It's a very collectible, and very well made all steel pistol. My example dates to 1912, and doesn't have the Colt logo on the slide. It also doesn't have a magazine safety. It's accurate to far more than a yard or two if you do your part. The grip safety must be consciously depressed, so as a shooter I prefer other designs, especially the Baby Browning (successor to the FN 1905, the Colt's European older brother).

Boolit Master
    Another vote for the Jetfire. And I reload and cast for it!
    If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do, you are misinformed.
    - Mark Twain

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.
    - Mark Twain

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Like you, I'd be looking at it more for the collector aspect of it - it's a classic little Colt and if you like Colts, it would look nice in a display of either classic guns with horses on the side or in a collection of classic mouse guns. Plus . . . you'd have the option of shooting it once in a while if you choose to. I've passed up sever classic old pistols like that in year's past as I didn't have the interest then . . . . now, if the price were right, I would pick it up. I'm not sure that my old clumsy fingers could handle the .25 cases and boolits without dropping them . . but then again . . . it would be fun to reload some just to say I've done it.

I've got one an uncle carried for several decades or longer. Shoots OK, doesn't like hp ammo at all. Simple round nose feeds well. Haven't shot much, no grip safety, early model. $300 would have to be a pristine gun.

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    Have had a couple of Beretta 950s both the Jetfire and a Minx as a back up gun since 1970, never failed to function and fire and will keep them all in the head at 7 yards. It has killed several possums and a coon or two. My dad carried a Colt 1908 in his boot for years it was also very reliable but it didn't fit me like the Beretta. There are times when any gun is better than none and 8 or 9 25's will do the job if needed. Gave my daughter the Minx for armadillo control.
    My friend bought a Minx .22 short 950 in the mid 70's and he still has it. It is no joke a close range varmint gun!

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I still kick myself for passing on one for $350 that looked to be almost perfect . I have several other 25s and reload for them. I know this will probably start a fire storm but the little 25 is under appreciated as a defensive round. I carry one as a back up . Alliance web site list 1.7 grain of bullseye and a 35 grain hollow point at 1040 fps with less than a 1 inch barrel. I know it's not exactly a cannon but that ain't all that bad either. I really like the little Colts i would go for it.

Boolit Master

A .25 Beretta can surprise you. Mine will put a mag into 3 to 4 inches at 25 yards. After I lowered the front sight.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    I got the Colt 1908 .25 acp. Most of the bluing is still there, no rust, markings are clear, bore is very good, internals are extra clean. Springs are strong, everything works as it should.
    One grip is chipped so I'm going to replace the pair.
    Last edited by Battis; 08-15-2018 at 06:50 AM.