Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Forge for me, First try at making knives

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0391.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	226417

Here's one I made for my nephew last year. Of all the hunting/skinning knives Ive ever used this is my favorite style. The scabbard is still a little dark from the olive oil but lightens up in a day or so.

Once again I don't know why everything posts upside down.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master

I built my forge from a paint can, perfect size for making small knives. I've been thinking about building a bigger one with an old propane tank I have (not in good enough shape to use for a propane tank, was here at the house when we moved in, and very rusty).

Boolit Master

Name:	IMG_0299.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	226470Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0300.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	226471

Here are a couple more. The one on the right I put in a benefit auction for a coworker. The 13 yr old cowgirl daughter of another coworker ran it to $175 before getting beat out. She was a little bummed so I made the one on the left for her.

Someday I'm gonna make me one. Actually I have the one I made before I learned how to keep them from warping. It's pretty hard to see but I can feel it as it runs across the stone. It handles deer just fine though.

I finally got the pic thing worked out.

Can you tell this is my favorite style of knife?
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

My friend made these for me to give my family for Christmas. The little spey blade knife is a workhorse. I once field dressed 3 pronghorn in a row with it without resharpening. It has G10 scales;; the others are Elk or Pecan.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banner Sponsor

I built a Kydex press and I'm trying to figure out how to make sheaths with it.
    This is my first one. it gave a nice tight fit around the knife.

I tried making an orange one, but orange kydex was kind of finiky. If it got it too hot, it would shrivel up, but not quite hot enough and it wouldn't mold around the knife.

Boolit Master
    This is what I put together in my garage with what I had kicking around. It's made from ceramic fiber board I lined the bottom with soft ceramic brick and stuck a torch through the side.

Boolit Bub
    Best way to learn is to do. I need to pull it together and get my coal forge up and running again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Handmade

Name:	From Iphone 100.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	230219Click image for larger version. 

Name:	From Iphone 118.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	230220 You have really improved quickly. And your style of blade is very useful. The sharp point will get under the skin as you cut sown the legs and the rounded cutting edge will skin admirably. I am posting pictures of some of my knives just because. I always use solid rivets that are peened down into a small countersunk hole and use epoxy glues as well. The longer knife is hand forged 5160 approximately 13 inches long. The small knives 4 1/2 inches long, called neck knives have desert ironwood, mesquite and one is homemade micarta handle. O1 steel was used. The picture of three, the center one is D2 and has been used to skin several elk. An old cowboy up on Mt Taylor N.M. was helping Ruben and I skin a huge elk that Ruben shot. The cowboy asked if I ever sharpened the knife. I told him that I used the short steel I had cut from a big one only and that kept the edge aligned. He had never seen the like. Haven't used the forge in a couple years and walked by it a couple days ago and noticed the bottom of the crows nest lying on the ground. Two small stove bolts rusted out and it dropped.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Three handmade in USA 001.jpg  
    Last edited by OldBearHair; 11-10-2018 at 10:54 PM. Reason: additional statement

Boolit Master

Texas by god

I like that one on the bottom left. Very nice. I’ll check my stocking this year.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123