WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Forge for me, First try at making knives

Banned
    I really like your forge. It is the perfect size. I need to build one but thought I would start with a charcoal forge first. I only intend to use it for heat treating dies that I make. Maybe make a knife someday but that would be secondary function.

Boolit Master

I haven't even finished curing the propane forge yet. I built the coal forge from a turkey fryer,brake drum and a mail table from a postal jeep. I first learned in '76 at Berea College in Kentucky. Then after the Army and USPS, retirement finally came and I got the urge again. So I built the coal forge. That was 4 years ago. Still gathering and building tools and trying to remember what I was taught so many years ago. The tomahawk will go out in the mail this morning as part of a care package to a ex-ranger now flying a dustoff in Afghanistan.He took me turkey hunting for the first time this spring. Hopefully he won't have to use it. My daughter still serves, I made her one too.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0271.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	225482

Here is a small hatchet I made from a horseshoe rasp. It weighs 11 oz. really easy to carry and will split a deers ribs ok. Ok for driving tent pegs but not enough weight to do any semi serious chopping with. Plus without a poll the balance is funky.

Planning to make another someday but with extra metal in the poll and a piece of 5160 ( old truck spring ) sandwiched for the cutting edge. This should give it a little extra weight, better balance and stand up to abuse better. Pelvis bones are a little hard on it now.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Banner Sponsor

Excellent pics. Those are way beyond my skill level currently. I bought a book on knife making and I'm about 1/3 of the way through it.

Boolit Grand Master

Never ceases to amaze me at the talent on this sight and not just casting boolits.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Lar, I recently bought a book called The Home Blacksmith--Ryan Ridgway. Lots of good info. Farrier nips can be turned into tongs fairly easily, most of the work is already done. And you can find them in flea markets for a dollar or two.
    Last edited by Taylor; 08-14-2018 at 07:11 AM.

Banner Sponsor

That sounds great, I'll have to go scrounge some flea markets. I've just been using pliers and vise grips for now.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Attachment 225443Attachment 225444

Hope you don't mind me sharing........
    That's a nice setup, you make the second forge as well? I've been curious about doing some knives, even went to Sevierville and took one of those "lessons", but it was too touristy for me, did get the little horseshoe knife out of it though.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

Yes Omega I did. You are welcome anytime you want to visit. I like 'hawks and skinning knives. I want to make a camp/bowie for myself as I have some old rasp laying around. Plus I have intentions of making some kitchen knives, so I can throw away those cheap walmart serrated blades the wife bought. Hate those things.

PS. I live in Clarksville too.

Boolit Master

Yes Omega I did. You are welcome anytime you want to visit. I like 'hawks and skinning knives. I want to make a camp/bowie for myself as I have some old rasp laying around. Plus I have intentions of making some kitchen knives, so I can throw away those cheap walmart serrated blades the wife bought. Hate those things.

PS. I live in Clarksville too.
    Might take you up on it, I started collecting the things I needed to make a small forge to melt brass and aluminum and maybe a knife or two but nothing like yours. I did get some scrap Damascus steel from Sevierville (Smokey Mountain Knife Works) to make a small skinner, ala Schrade Sharp Finger, but that will be mostly removing steel not forging.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

If you can come up with a propane bottle, I have most everything else. Circular saw blades make a decent skinner. Older ones, not the new/old stuff with carbide tips. And with these it is mostly stock removal vs forging. Can heat treat in an oven, (use your powder coat oven) but will still need to be annealed at the start (forge). Or as they say in the blacksmith world "normalized".

Building a forge is stressful. Here I am with coffee and computer in hand. Waiting on the forge to cool so I can fire it again. And finish the curing process. Kinda as bad as waiting on glue to dry.

Boolit Master
    My forge is a piece of 1-1/4 emt conduit ( being an electrician I have this laying around ) made into an L shape. The horizontal piece has a 1-1/4 hole cut into it with a hole saw. The vertical piece was cut in two with a hole saw. The vertical piece placed over the hole in the horizontal piece and held with self tapping screws on each side. Vertical piece goes up into an old wash tub semi full of clay mud. A dollar general hair dryer duct taped to the horizontal piece provides the air. Coal I can buy locally, online or some tractor supply stores. They sell anthracite coal which is harder to light than smithing coal ( bituminous) but burns very hot once going. No problem getting to welding heat with this stuff.
    A deck off an old push mower would make a good tub I believe. I have a $55 harbor freight anvil. Yeah it ain't much but it works for me.

When it looks like Sanford and son around your house and you can think outside the box it doesn't cost much to get into blacksmithing. You will learn that most of them guys on you tube ain't beginners.

Boolit Master

Well said Wolfer. My coal I get from eastern Kentucky. Best there is! Family are coal miners.

Name:	IMG_1586.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	183.8 KB 
ID:	225557

I wanted a Hudson Bay ax something awful this spring. I had a big chunk of spring steel from the scrap yard so I just built one. It's handy and just the right size and weight for me. Got the heat treat just right so that a file just barely bites. Working in the fire gets addictive, be careful, and have fun!

Boolit Master

If you can come up with a propane bottle, I have most everything else. Circular saw blades make a decent skinner. Older ones, not the new/old stuff with carbide tips. And with these it is mostly stock removal vs forging. Can heat treat in an oven, (use your powder coat oven) but will still need to be annealed at the start (forge). Or as they say in the blacksmith world "normalized".

Building a forge is stressful. Here I am with coffee and computer in hand. Waiting on the forge to cool so I can fire it again. And finish the curing process. Kinda as bad as waiting on glue to dry.
    I need to fire up my turkey fryer to empty out a bottle Did you use matting inside or fire brick?
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by firebyprolong View Post

Name:	IMG_1586.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	183.8 KB 
ID:	225557

I wanted a Hudson Bay ax something awful this spring. I had a big chunk of spring steel from the scrap yard so I just built one. It's handy and just the right size and weight for me. Got the heat treat just right so that a file just barely bites. Working in the fire gets addictive, be careful, and have fun!
    That is my favorite style of axe. I have a Norlund hatchet in that style that I love. My main axe is a 2-1/2 lb Boy Scout axe.

Boolit Master

That is a good looking Axe.
    Did you fold the steel over, or was it thick enough that you could punch it to cut the eye?
    I would be proud to own one like it.
    Many times around here, even at my advanced age, I will choose to use an axe instead of a saw just because I like to swing and cut with an axe.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 08-25-2018 at 09:12 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Banner Sponsor

I finished up another one for my buddy Wayne.

The blade is 52100 Bearing Steel and the handle is black and orange G-10

Wayne is a vet, so I used pins that are supposed to look like a dog's paws. I thought I had them lined up when I glued it all together, but it looks like they were a little off. I guess I'll have to pay closer attention on the next one.

Banner Sponsor

I've got the bug pretty hard and was jonesing on wanting to start something new.
    I started with a piece of 1/4" thick 5160 spring steel.

I've still got a lot of grinding to do. 1/4" seems to be the thinnest you can buy anywhere unless you get a 26' stick of it that is .2"

Boolit Master
    Those are looking good. Yes by the time I get one finished I'm thinking about what to make next. Luckily my forge is outside so hot weather shuts me down awhile.
    One of my buddies makes his own micarta for his scales.
    Layers of different colored construction paper held together with fiberglass resin. You have to use several layers of the same color together or the finished product will just be one color.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast