Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is the LEE bottom pour worth it?

Had to replace the spout and rod on a older 20lb pot. Just would not stop dripping no matter how clean. 6$ on eBay and when new parts installed, back to the occasional drip. Pot has been in service for 15 or 16 years. Ordered a new one incase this one wouldn't have been fixable. So now I have a new pot, heating coil and a extra spout and rod on hand. If I have the replacement parts, I will never have a breakdown. Karma only allows a breakdown if you have to get something done and no spare parts. Keep thinking of a new RCBS pot, but can't justify the $$ to replace a pot that is working fine and has been good to me.
    Retired Redleg
    I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood, I don't mind going out the same way.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    I have two, a ten pounder that I used for pure lead , maxi and round balls, and my 20 pounder that I use for everything else. When I was casting for the .480 that I had those 400 gr boolits would drain it very fast. They are called "drip-o-matics" for a reason, but it's really not too bad unless you either get some crud stuck in the spout or it just wears after 15 years or more. I did drain my 20 pound pot and reseated the valve w/ some valve grinding compound, and it is almost as good as it was when new. I have a Lodge miniature ashtray/ spoon holder to catch any drips now....
    I bought a dozen of those Lodge cast iron ashtrays years ago. They have molded thousands of ingot for me. The cast disk stacks well and is easy to load in my Lee 4-20's or my RCBS 22 lb casting pot.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Bub
    I'm on my 2nd Lee pot. I started with a 10# model in the late 80's. Lasted me about 15 years. I'm using the 20# that replaced it. Drips aren't a big problem. I've had occasions where the spout will freeze up but a light touch with a propane torch gets it going quickly.
    All that is neccessary for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing.

Edmund Burke

I have only one pot....the 10# bottom pour. I am about to rebuild it. I got all the parts from Lee to rebuild it at just the cost of shipping....I did purchase a small pack of ceramic wool insulation and I plan to rebuild next week....this is after 20+ years of casting. I paid about $45 20+ ago...so for a cost of $25 for parts (shipping mostly)...its worth rebuilding. I've also build my own PID for it at a cost of about $45. I've been happy with it...and I am still happy with it. It casts great bullets...10# at a time...but for the volume of shooting I do...its been perfect.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I'm not a Lee fan and currently use a Lyman Mag25 lead melting pot but I still have and like the Lee 4-20 and the 10 lb bottom pour pots I have.I would recommend the Lee 4-20 over the Lyman and RCBS pots on price alone.They get the job done.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by am44mag View Post
    For years I have used a 10 lb Lyman pot and a dipper to cast with. The only complaints I have is that they're a bit slow and the dipper occasionally gets clogged up. The $200+ RCBS and Lyman bottom pours are outside of what I can afford right now, but the LEE is much cheaper. Is it worth getting though, or should I stay with my current set up? I don't want something that's going to frustrate me or make casting a hassle. I just want to be able to turn it on and go.
    I picked up 2 used lee 20lb pots when I started. Once in a while I need to spin the "needle valve" to keep it from dripping. It will also drip when I ger low on alloy and do not keep an eye on the temp. For what I paid and the amount I have casted I cant see spending 200 on a RCBS or any other....unless they can melt 20lbs in about 5 min?

Boolit Master
    Been using a Lee 10lb pot for 20 years had to clean it for the first time last week full of crud blocked up ,scraped the crud out polished the rod and seat with metal polish .no drips now works like new .great tool at a great price .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12