RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Take Down Rolling Block Action - What Do I Have?

Boolit Buddy

Take Down Rolling Block Action - What Do I Have?

Purchased a rolling block action but have not been able to identify make or model. Obviously parts are missing. It doesn't seem to fit with the traditional Remington models. It is a take down model and appears to be a rimfire, possibly a .25 or .32. Markings are few with one proof inside the tang and a marking on each side or the receiver by the take down lever.

Suggestions?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0067[1].jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	292742 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0068[1].jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	292743 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0069[1].jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	292744
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0074[1].jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	292745 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0079[1].jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	292746 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0077[1].jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	292747 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0078[1].jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	292748

That’s a new on me ? It looks a little like a Crescent action but yours has the bottom tang non removable and part of the action casting and the takedown arrangement is different.
    Also the front face of your action looks to have a rounded extension with possibly a grub screw that would bear against the barrel tenon, I have never seen this before.
    It is a rimfire action and by the looks of some of the stamps on the action I would think it to be not made in the USA. Sorry that’s little help.

Jedman

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    That’s a new on me ? It looks a little like a Crescent action but yours has the bottom tang non removable and part of the action casting and the takedown arrangement is different.
    Also the front face of your action looks to have a rounded extension with possibly a grub screw that would bear against the barrel tenon, I have never seen this before.
    It is a rimfire action and by the looks of some of the stamps on the action I would think it to be not made in the USA. Sorry that’s little help.

Jedman
    The screw at the front is holding a leaf spring that is probably for the trigger as it extends back in that direction. It looks like the takedown lever is the only thing that would hold the barrel in place (other than the slip fit of the barrel into the receiver.)

Boolit Buddy
    Okay, I'm finding some info on the proof marks. Crossed mark DF of an arrow was deposited the 12.08.1881 by DUMOULIN BROTHERS boulevard of Sauvenière, 89 in LIEGE (BE 1877/1894). Perron (little tower): inspection (16.06.1853 until today).

Boolit Master
    The extractor has a cutout that matches the rim diameter of whatever cartridge this is chambered for.
    Next, determine if this is chambered for a rim fire or center fire
    (my eye ball says that the FP in the pic would impact the center of the cartridge, not the rim).
    Take the rim diameter and RF/CF info and look that up in some tables of cartridge dimensions,
    for example "Cartridges Of the World (COTW)", to find out exactly what cartridge this is chambered for.

Liege made both commercial and military guns, however if the lever truly actuates a take-down mechanism,
    then of course it would be a commercial gun, likely chambered in a sporting cartridge.

Boolit Master
    That extractor looks rather large to be for a .22 or.32 rimfire. Check it with a .38 spl rim, and if that looks close it was probably for a 9mm garden gun.

Boolit Buddy
    A .32-20 brass will almost fit into the extractor - it would need to be opened up just a bit for that to happen. It's definitely a rimfire as the firing pin tip fits into a small cutout in the bottom edge of the extractor. Confirmed by looking at the bolt/block face when the block is fully forward and looking into the action from the front.

Picture # 6 shows a bold "32"
    My guess would be a # 5 takedown in .32 rimfire.

I have one on my wall that was adjusted by gunsmith to centerfire. Then lined to .32sw long.
    It is ok accurate at 25 yards but falls off rapidly after that. Makes a nice wall hanger and conversation piece.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Buddy
    My thought is to convert to centerfire and go .32-20.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Picture # 6 shows a bold "32"
    My guess would be a # 5 takedown in .32 rimfire.

I have one on my wall that was adjusted by gunsmith to centerfire. Then lined to .32sw long.
    It is ok accurate at 25 yards but falls off rapidly after that. Makes a nice wall hanger and conversation piece.
    "#5 takedown"? What is that model? As far as I know in Remington rifles the #4 was a takedown, and #5 was the full sized smokeless action. This not being a Remington, wouldn't be either a #5 or a #4.

All I am going by is what was listed in the description on gunbroker. Could be totally off base.
    But yours looks like mine. Take down lever, etc.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Buddy
    This one is not a Remington, but rather a Belgian made version. As a copy it doesn't follow the Remington design exactly with several screw/pin holes being in different locations and the trigger guard being separate from the tangs.

Boolit Master

I have a frame just like yours but don't have any guts for it. It is the same size as the #4 Remington and most likely was chambered for 32 rim fire. It would not be safe with 32-20. Mine is not a takedown model and appears to have a small screw that holds the barrel from the left side.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm confused. If not safe for .32-20 how did Larry Potterfield's (Midway Inc.) hold together?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfFxjX4jMkU

I watched the video where Larry Potterfield converted a No. 1 Rem. rolling block to 32-20 and that is a safe conversion as the no. 1 is a full size rifle action where your action is apparently a small rimfire action like the no. 4 Remington action which is a much smaller , lighter action with parts that are miniature compared to the no. 1 size.

Jedman

32-20 way to hot for that small rb action.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the advice. Looks like a rework to .22 LR will be in order.

36g. If you rebuilt the action and got it to where the breech block and hammer lock up was real solid you could probably make it a 32-20 or smaller 32 centerfire if you shot it with black powder ? That’s what it was designed for.

Jedman

Boolit Buddy
    The 32-20 loads that I use are for a '73 Winchester clone and are at BP pressures.

Quote Originally Posted by 36g View Post
    I'm confused. If not safe for .32-20 how did Larry Potterfield's (Midway Inc.) hold together?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfFxjX4jMkU
    Huge difference between a #1 full sized action, and the little #4 sized actions. Plus the full sized were threaded barrels, not a smooth shanked takedown setup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast