Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Bullseye instead of Unique in 30-06

Boolit Mold

Bullseye instead of Unique in 30-06

My first (known) major whoopsie in my reloading career.

I planned on putting 11 grains of Unique behind a 160 grain cast bullet with a gas check as a reduced recoil load. I accidentally put in 11 grains of bullseye instead...

From what I read, 8 grains of Bullseye is a comfortable small game load in the 06 with a similar bullet, but I can’t find anything about max loads. I made a bunch of these and if they are safe to shoot, I’d like to shoot them. I have a feeling they will lead like crazy, but can anyone tell me if these are safe to shoot? What is your biggest charge in the 06 with Bullseye?

Thanks for the help.

Boolit Man
    Why not pull them all, save the powder for the right loads, and not risk damage to your life, limb, firearm, and others around you? While this forum is an excellent resource, I'm not sure you should entrust it to a decision such as this. Stay safe and welcome to the forum!
    SAF Patron (Life) | GOA (Life) | NRA Benefactor (Life) | MSRPA (Life)

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot 12 grains of BE in my 375 H&H. 13 is maximum.

Put more succinctly, pull your 11 grain loads so you and your rifle don’t get hurt

Boolit Master

In the cast bullet manual(#3) Loads of 13-13.5 grs of Red Dot and 700X which are max recommended for 170 gr and show pressures in the 35K range. RD and BE track pretty close on pressure and velocity and 700x is in the same speed range. I realize I'm doing some extrapolating here but I personally would not hesitate to fire 11 grs of BE behind a 160 gr bullet in a 3006, what you do is up to you.
    Last edited by fecmech; 08-10-2018 at 09:30 AM.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    Better safe than sorry.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The M1919 Guard cartridge for the '06 was 9 grains of Bullseye with the M1906 150-grain FMJ bullet.
    With a cast bullet of similar weight such as the Ideal #308241 or Accurate 31-155D 8 grains is about the max before accuracy fails due to leading. I would pull the 11 grain loads, as all you are going to do is lead ypurbarrel severely!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I will say I used 6.6 gr in my 30/30 with the 160 gr Lee and not have any problems.

It actually shot well, but high @ 50 yards.
    Last edited by Tom W.; 08-11-2018 at 06:37 PM.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Pull the rounds and consider it penance for your mistake.

Boolit Mold
    After working up some other bullseye loads with the same projectile, I agree 11 grains is too potent. I will pull them. Thanks for the input.

Rubbish. Ed Harris used to recommend 13 grains of Red Dot, which is even faster than Bullseye, for gas checked bullets up to 200 grains. It was known as "The Load", and was recommended for the .30-06, .308, .303 British, and even the Mosin 7.62x54.

http://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharris...The%20Load.htm

Shoot 'em.

BTW I've done The Load for a K-31, just for grins. Not a rifle I want or need a reduced load for, so I only loaded 20 rounds. No leading.

13 grains is by no means a pipsqeak load, but if you want a powder for subsonic loads, Red Dot is it, IMHO. I use it for reduced rifle loads from .22 Hornet on up.
    Last edited by uscra112; 08-15-2018 at 01:18 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

I think I would follow the advice given by Outpost75 which has always been very good advice.
    M. Stenback

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    FROM LYMAN CAST BULLET HANDBOOK #3

For 175 grain 311291 lists 10.5 to 13.5 of Red Dot.

Now Red Dot is only a tad slower than BE, and the OP says he's loaded 150 grain cast WITH A GAS CHECK over 11 grains.

There's nothing wrong with that load, shoot them!

BTW, years ago, Ed Harris also did some work with the 30-06 with 150 grain FULL METAL JACKET, CRIMPED with 8 grains of Bullseye, which ran right at 1000fps.

Remembering that the friction coefficient of lead is much lower than jacketed, with a 3 grain increase in the powder load, I honestly cannot see a problem with the OP's load.

Guess I ought not use 12 of 700X with the 165RD in the ought-six either,,,,,,.
    Last edited by Hamish; 08-16-2018 at 03:32 PM.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

With fast shotgun or pistol powder, you are burning 100% of the powder before the bullet exits the barrel so the imparted chemical energy of the powder will be converted into kinetic energy of the bullet. I've tried powders anywhere as fast as Titewad to as slow as 800X and Power Pistol and 10-13 grains of powder gives roughly the same velocity with the same bullet.

10-13 grains of Bullseye will work just fine. You will certainly not exceed 55,000 psi.

Quickload says you'll get around 25,000 psi peak and about 1650 fps in a 24" barrel with Bullseys compared to 22,000 psi and 1580 fps with 11g Unique.

Boolit Master
    Did you have more than one container of powder on the bench? I learned a LONG time ago not to do that......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    An easy way to pull those bullets is to get a pair of fence pliers from the local farm store. The kind with long handles and curved jaws for pulling out fence wire staples. You just put a loaded cartridge in the shell holder in a press without a die in the hole. Just run the press handle up so the bullet sticks out the die hole. Grab the bullet tightly with the curved jaws in the pliers and withdraw the press handle pulling the cartridge off the bullet.

Boolit Master
    Grab the bullet tightly with the curved jaws in the pliers and withdraw the press handle pulling the cartridge off the bullet.[/QUOTE]

This will more than likely result in the gas check stuck in the case neck. Just use a pointed tool to tip the check and then grasp the edge of the check with needle nosed pliers to pull it from the case.

Boolit Master
    just a bunch of hooey, put on some safety glasses, some heavy leathers (body suit) notify ems where you are, get behind some ar 500 steel (4x8 sheet should do it) hook up a remote trigger assembly, make sure there's no one on the range, snuggle that firearm as if you may never see it again, get behind that steel and touch er off!!!!! NOT !!!! far to much work. I think I would just pull it down and chock it up to gremlins in the reloading room just my 2 cent.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    A little late to the party but . . .

If you are shooting cast and don't have a manual, GET ONE! I'd recommend either the 3rd or 4th edition of the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual.

As someone mentioned, and I think a lot of folks practice this, if you are reloading, have just one container of powder on your bench that you are using and pay attention to what you are doing. It only taks a couple of seconds to put a powder container back in the cabinet or off the bench. If you are reloading, and someone comes along and disrupts your attention, DUMP the load and stop reloading, take care of business with whoever bothered you and then go back to your reloading and concentrate on it.

There is a lot of "free advice" on the internet and it's fine to get another's opinions as they may see something that you don[t or they can guide you to where you can find the information . . . but when somebody suggests a load - check it with a good manual to see where it falls in the minimum/maximum load.

We all make mistakes and we all learn from them. I would rather catch something that may be unsafe BEFORE I attempted to use them and have to pull and dump the charges than I would to just fly by the seat of my pants and try them only to find out that they were unsafe loads - a little too late once you've pulled the trigger and shrapnel starts to fly.

I don't load 30-06 so I can't speak to you load. I do load 30-30 and 8 X 57 Mauser with reduced loads of Red Dot, BE, Green Dot and Unique and it can be a lot of fun and make for some great shooting with reduced recoil - BUT - I refer to my Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook Manuals to check minimum/maximum charges and I have always ended up with some very accurate plinking/target loads in the mid-range between minimum/maximum.

Don[t get discouraged . . . everyday is a learning experience that you build on. You'll do fine but check and double check all of your reloading steps and be safe. If in doubt . . . "pull 'em". Best of luck to you.