Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data Wideners

View Poll Results: How much to you cast/reload in a single session?

Voters
356. You may not vote on this poll
  • I CAST less than 100 boolits at a time

25 7.02%
  • I CAST between 100-500 boolits at a time

183 51.40%
  • I CAST between 500-1000 boolits at a time

92 25.84%
  • I CAST over 1000 boolits at a time

43 12.08%
  • I RELOAD less than 100 rounds at a time

61 17.13%
  • I RELOAD between 100-500 rounds at a time

191 53.65%
  • I RELOAD between 500-1000 rounds at a time

25 7.02%
  • I RELOAD over 1000 rounds at a time

22 6.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How much do you cast/reload in a single session?

Boolit Master

100-150, until the towel gets full, maybe 30 minutes, go in (cast on patio) and have some iced tea & computer, back out picking up those cast boolits, and cast some more, until the towel gets full, repeat...
    I set mold on top of furnace to pre-heat, and generally get good boolits first try...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3268.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	225317
    I cast about 50 of these this AM for my son to check out for his .308 - WW+2%Sn. Will cast a couple more different boolits and let him decide which he likes best...
    Last edited by Echo; 08-10-2018 at 12:06 AM.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

I normally cast a pot or two.
    Last session, I cast about 200 .311 178 grainers and then about 300 .430 240 grainers - but it was close to 50/50 PB/GC. That was about 15 lbs of metal total. The .311's were a hard cast with a 3:2 ww to lino and the 430's were 5:1.

When I reload, it seems like I tend to spend about 3 hours and get about 100-150 cartridges loaded. But I did a quickie to ensure I had some rifle rounds for the competition this week and loaded an extra 17 in about 30 minutes. But all my case prep was done including primer seating.

My next casting is gonna be 400 grain .460s - you don't get that many in a lb of lead... I believe it is 17 or 18... But they're a hollow point NOE mould that shoots great in my Marlin and will put a stopping on most things that walk the earth.

Boolit Grand Master
    I cast about an hour to an hour and a half, 300-600 boolits 6-12 pounds. I used to put in 8-10 hour days casting, stopping only to refill the pot and hit the can or get a drink. I can't handle that any more.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

I selected CAST 500-1000 and RELOAD 100-500. Well, mostly cause that mostly what I do.

With loading, I will reload 5-10 to test a load or suggested load from someone. For a rifle, say hunting loads, 20-40pcs would be normal. But my Comp pistol/AR I'll do 500+ at a rip.

As for casting, I see I am about the same as everyone else. I cast as long as time allows each time, unless something specific is needed. Like last night. I cast 5-6# for a friend cause I figured that would provide 1-200 pcs for him. He wanted a softer bullet than I normally cast for his specific purposes. More often than not, I'll cast a couple 20# pots and call it quits. For me more often than not its quitting cause its dark out & bugs take over after dark! (I only cast outside.)

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master

Casting---I try to cast for 1/2 of a day. This will get me 1000 or 1200.

Loading-----I load my match and hunting ammo in lots of 100. (Think MTM plastic box)I'll load 223's in lots of 1000. Pistol ammo, once I have a load I like I'll load all of what I call my working stock. This varies some but is about 3500-4000 45's, about the same number of 40's,357'3,38's, 9mm's and 2500 or so 44 magnums. I keep these together by caliber and shoot them until they are gone then start over. Being retired now, a loading session will see about 500 at a time or until I get tired. Usually a few batches of 500 a day but sometimes a few batches every few days.
    Last edited by lightman; 08-10-2018 at 12:16 PM.

I only reload for my 480 Ruger and for now only have a two cavity 435gr mold so the pot empties fast.

Cast about 50-100, Reload 50 at a time.

Going to get a 335gr mold to save on lead and plink with.
    A nice cigar makes a bad day good and a good day great.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    100-150, until the towel gets full, maybe 30 minutes, go in (cast on patio) and have some iced tea & computer, back out picking up those cast boolits, and cast some more, until the towel gets full, repeat....
    LOL that's my same technique. With a PID and hotplate, seems like they are ready to cast just about anytime, when the pot gets low I dump all the sprues and go inside til i see its back up to temp.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Buddy
    Casting, depends on what bullet and when I get tired.
    Reloading, depends on how many empty cases I have on hand.
    CF
    Vote Independent, vote Republican, vote Democratic, just don’t vote Incumbent!
    I believe in the Bible, Freedom, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and personal responsibility. My government believes I am narrow minded, intolerant and dangerous.

Boolit Master

I cast standing up so usually I'm done at the end of the pot (20lb's).

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I can't really pick just one , it has a lot to do with how it's going but generally on a good day ill cast a thousand or more 9s , 38s or 45acps but rifle casting 2-300 Will be fine . Loading is pretty much the same with cast loads . But some days I relies I should go do something else before it gets on my nerves . But I generally only do it when I feel like doing it .

Boolit Buddy
    I normally cast until I can't see the bottom of a five gallon bucket or there is a large pile to one side. Kind of depends on the bullet. For 95 grain 380 bullets I don't cast a lot. I probably won't cast any more of them for several months as they are for my wife's pistol and she doesn't shoot as much as me. For 124 grain 9mm I will cast up quite a bit, powder coat them, then load as many as possible for a few days.

Should have how many pounds you reload. For me a 10lbs Lee bottom pour pot at a time and that is it for me and all I can handle at a time. As for reloading depends on what I need at the time.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

I cast for an hour, 90m max, so depending on what molds I am running, 600-900 at a pop. I rarely reload for more than 30m, unless I am working up ladder tests for precision rifle using the ss press. I load pistol on a 650, so just 30m yields me more than 300rds.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    My real answer is "it all depends". Depends on how I feel and how my back feels. It depends on how my boolits are casting, how much time I have. It just all depends. For the most part I do at least 20lb runs and if I have time and feel good I'll keep going for few hours. Doesnt make much sense to break out all casting gear for 100 rounds. Just did over 1K of 9mm. Last batch of 230gr RN 45s was going so well I went through 50lbs of lead. This stuff doesnt go bad. I did a lot of casting in the winter so I dont have to do it now in the summer.

Boolit Master
    I use a Lyman 61, 10 lb pot. I usually run 2 pots for my session. 100 - 500 sounds right.

Boolit Master

Casting depends- bottom pour high volume bullets like 9mm or
    45 or ladel casting rifle bullets. I try to cast a minimum of 3 hrs at a time
    Preferably 5. Once I get the pot or mold up to temp I really like to roll. My bottleneck is sizing.

Casting varies. Before ditching the 550 and 1050 it may be several thousand at a time. Now- not so much. It may take me a few weeks to do a big run of ammo single stage once I set up for it. There is an Evolution or possibly Revolution in my near future!
    At one with the gun.

Banned
    It used to depend on time, now my body dictates more of how long I cast. I like to do at least 1 pot per session though more frequently now I need to take a break(s) during the session

Boolit Master
    Cast for about an hour so depending on molds 150-400 as that's enough for my wrists .as I tend to size and prep all my brass so when I want to load them up it doesn't take long to load up a 100or 2 with my pet loads.takes a lot longer if I'm load developing.

Boolit Grand Master
    I load what I think I'm going to use. I single load rifle ammo. I load back up what I shoot up. That way I always have ammo ready to go.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Since I shoot a lot of full auto, I can cast in lots of 1-2000 at a pop, and reload everything I cast.
    I think the biggest batch I have done is cast 3000 9mm from a 6 cavity H&G #331, sized and lubed on a Star, and loaded on a Dillon 550.
    Hey....winters are long and hard here in NH....what's a poor boy to do?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast