RepackboxInline FabricationGraf & SonsWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionStainLess Steel MediaMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

View Poll Results: How much to you cast/reload in a single session?

Voters
207. You may not vote on this poll
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How much do you cast/reload in a single session?

Boolit Master
    I'd like to think so, it uses a standard mould that you could hook handles up to for casting by hand.

The only thing that can cause quality issues is when you drop the projectile fro the mould, if you put a cloth down, you have a cushion for it to hit and not dent, but if you have a pile, there is always the possibility of a dent in it as it's still a little soft when it hits another one.

For my pistol rounds, they still shoot better than i can!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    I'd like to think so, it uses a standard mould that you could hook handles up to for casting by hand.

The only thing that can cause quality issues is when you drop the projectile fro the mould, if you put a cloth down, you have a cushion for it to hit and not dent, but if you have a pile, there is always the possibility of a dent in it as it's still a little soft when it hits another one.

For my pistol rounds, they still shoot better than i can!
    Thank you, might dwelve in the automation soon, not sure. I got some "Googling" to do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

ďTo achieve victory we must mass our forces at the hub of all power and movement. The enemyís "center of gravityĒ

― Karl Von Clausewitz

Boolit Master
    Lots of research to be done, but there are so many people on this forum that will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Feel free to send me a message if you decide to go that route. Hatch did a great job with the electronics for the wymanwin setup.

Boolit Buddy
    Before I got so sick about 12 years ago, I would start loading most Saturday mornings and either cast or load 3 or 4 hours and stop for lunch. Then cast or load another 2 or 3 hours. Or until I got too tired to handle the 4 or 6 cavity molds.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Boolit Grand Master
    Casting is until I feel like stopping. I can go all day which is a lot of 20# pots. The lighter the bullet the more bullets I have at the end. The minimum I will cast is one pot full.

Reloading is completely different. If Iím working up a load I will load ten of each in whatever increment Iím working up in. If I already have a load I count by the primer box. Minimum is 100, I hate having partial boxes lying around. I have a lot of 9mm jacketed bullets that need to be loaded. I will load these by the primer brick.

Rifle rounds are a different story. I load them by the box. Which is typically 50. I have some larger boxes so certain cartridges are loaded by the 100. 223 is like 9mm and loaded in bulk. Either 100, 500 or 1K.

I really do hate having partial boxes of primers lying around. Itís even worse if itís an odd number or a number that doesnít fit into a box. Thinking about 19 primers sitting in a box is aggravating me. I have a spreadsheet to keep track of powder and primers so odd numbers annoy me.

I have very limited time to cast and reload. So I try to get as much done in the time I have. Setting up for small runs wastes a lot time. But itís a necessity for load development.

Boolit Buddy
    I cast to feed my action pistol habit, which goes through two to three thousand rounds a month. I have been casting in two or three morning or afternoon sessions to make a one to two month supply of 3 to 4 K, using a bottom pour with a feeder pot and eight cavity molds. I do that outdoors on my deck at times when there is nothing to break my rhythm. Loading I do in my basement, sometimes on an ad hoc basis of 200 to 400 rounds, but hopefully I'll set up a regular weekly loading session that is long enough to provide extra ammo to stockpile.

Tazza, what is the production rate on your automated Mastercaster? And can you really walk away from it to do other things as it runs?

At this point casting with an 8 cav hand held mold is still fun and interesting for me, and I think there is plenty of room for improvement in my technique in terms of quality and volume. But if an automated casting machine can cut production time with equivalent quality, even if it needs to be attended, but especially if not, the time saving may make it worthwhile for me.

For casting, I've got a 40 pound pot and a bottom pour ladle and several 4 gang molds, which I use 2 at a time. Depending on what I'm casting 25 - 30 pounds from the pot will yield about 1000 - 1500 bullets. Then I refill the pot, and if I'm feeling fit, I'll come back in the afternoon and do it all again.
    Reloading for my brother, my niece, and myself, I usually end up reloading in batches of about 100 - 250 rounds, and a few times a year, like after the nationals, I'll end up doing 500. Just to put those numbers into perspective, I only own 1 single stage press, no progressives, or turrets.
    Hard work made me what I am today,
    Broken and broke
    Bob

I generally reload small batches. Between 50 and 200 is the norm for me. I cast 100 to 300 or so at a time. Pends on the notion im in. If I am going with a mould that is not giving me any problems.... I might go a while.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234