Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Well, it's time to go home. I retire next month

Boolit Master
    Congrats on retiring!
    Now, as far as being bored. If some of you retire and get bored then you are a really lazy person. The wife and I are pretty busy non stop.
    East Tennessee

Moderator Emeritus

If you took a package
    1st Congratulations!
    2nd see a good tax accountant especially for work in the first year.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy

Congrats on retirement. I retired 2 years ago. It lasted for a whole year. My wife had me working harder than at my old job. Found a job they call full time but it is really only part time. Im enjoying it very much.

Boolit Master
    Retired at the age of 70 two years ago. Worked in the offshore drilling industry for a very long time. Over the years drilled offshore all over the world. Spent time in the North Sea, South America, the Far East, Africa and some other not so delightful places. Enjoyed the work and especially the people of different nationalities.
    With my automated master caster machine spend time casting bullets and powder coating the bullets.
    Still do a small amount of work as a consultant from time to time in the office, too old to go offshore.
    Was a good career and enjoyed the work and the travel.

Boolit Master

I retired ten years ago. I'll give you two tips:

1. If you're married, don't rearrange the kitchen. She probably has it together and doesn't need your help.

2. Learn to clearly & quickly say "No." People will pop outa the woodwork with projects for you.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master

My uncle had good advice - Don't retire FROM something, retire TO something. He retired from owning an injection molding company (started in his garage, ending with 25 tool & die makers) to a ranch outside Houston.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    I was (thanks to the rotten SOBs that proposed, negotiated, signed NAFTA) forced into retirement from the motion picture industry at the age of 55. Got called back for a couple of weeks at 56, called back for several months at 57 and called back for a year at 58. Officially retired at 62. Retirement is pretty good. So much to do, not sure what to work on next. It'll get a lot better when we can make our escape from Mexifornia.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Buddy
    " Retired" ,,I was tired yesterday ,, i'm tired today , that makes me " Retired " . When I retired last Nov ( 2017 ) i'v been to busy working to make " money " .

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix .

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    Congratulations and enjoy the slow down!! So is LA going to be home?
    Central east Louisiana in a large rural farm community.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    If you took a package
    1st Congratulations!
    2nd see a good tax accountant especially for work in the first year.
    Great advice on the tax accountant.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master
    Retired ten years ago, last month. Thirty six years with one company. Took a package, also. Still get up before 5 AM, most days. Never considered going back to work. I like every day............being a Saturday.

Winelover

Moderator Emeritus

Got hurt at work and forced into a disability retirement last year when I was 57. Tail end of divorce so no wife. Got my Great Pyreneese puppy Ruger, who is 14 months old now. He wakes me up everyday between 5-6am. I go back to sleep until he wants back in. What I do depends on my neck/back and headaches. Very lucky in that between what was left in divorce and pension, I am ok and really no worries about having enough to live comfortably. I am learning to enjoy what I have and to hire people to do work I can't do any more. Love where I moved to. Best advice is take some time before jumping back into the rat race. Look around, take a walk, and just enjoy. Good luck.

Banned

Great thread, good to read this morning. 2 1/2 years to go. Being self-employed, I am steering the ship towards 2 1/2 years. Not sure about the fuel supply, but I believe I will coast into the dock. Regardless, a well deserved congratulations. Good for you.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    congratulations!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Good for you!!! Best of luck in the coming years. I have been officially retired for 14 years but actual retirement equals only 12 (RTW part time on contract). Occasionally, I think it might be good to go back to work part time but after a (very) few moments-----nah!
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    congrats on retirement,i got retired and the ripe old age of 38 from a motorcycle wreck,but retirement is good as long as you find things to do to stay busy and projects seem to get done a lot quicker lol

Smile

Retirement: "Not having to get up when you don't want to, to drive some place you don't want to go, to do things you don't want to do."

That is one of the inspirational signs hanging in my locker at work. I am hopeing to be out at the end of next year at 62. I will have been printing newspapers for 40 years. I'm ready for a change. The wife wants to move to Idaho, so we will see how that go's. All I know is that the trade is going south and just hope things hold togather long enough to get out.

As to finding things to do? The wife has said that I don't have to find things to do, things to do find me.

P.S. I have often though there should be a retirement forum on here for the ones retired and the ones with hope of some day retireing but I am starting to think this is a retirement forum.
    Last edited by facetious; 08-10-2018 at 02:46 PM.
    We go through life trying to make the best decisions we can based on the best infomation we can find, that turns out to be wrong.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by facetious View Post
    Retirement: "Not having to get up when you don't want to, to drive some place you don't want to go, to do things you don't want to do."

That is one of the inspirational signs hanging in my locker at work. I am hopeing to be out at the end of next year at 62. I will have been printing newspapers for 40 years. I'm ready for a change. The wife wants to move to Idaho, so we will see how that go's. All I know is that the trade is going south and just hope things hold togather long enough to get out.

As to finding things to do? The wife has said that I don't have to find things to do, things to do find me.

P.S. I have often though there should be a retirement forum on here for the ones retired and the ones with hope of some day retireing but I am starting to think this is a retirement forum.
    I'm fondly looking forward to it in 30 years .
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Still in South Texas---about 100 miles north of Laredo.
    Welcome to the club, Down South---hope you enjoy it.
    Pumpkin

Boolit Master
    I held the same day job for over 34 years and was wearing a lot of hats all at the same time. My paid hours were 8-5, but I had to arrive about 6 am to get ready for the day. Then came the Golden Parachute offer: full pay for all unused vacation leave, half pay for all unused sick leave, stay on the company's insurance for 7 years (or until eligible for Social Security) without having to pay the monthly "buy-in" and insurance coverage included SWMBO and any dependent children still covered by the company (we have a daughter with a horrible medical history). Liked the work (but not the workload) and people there but I was tired of being overworked. Grabbed the offer and ran. Strange thing - it took me a full 2 years to realize I could breathe again and didn't have to chase after every brush fire (work assignment) in sight.

What I have learned about retirement:
    1. I can set my own pace for any activity I undertake.
    2. The honey-do assignments get completed quicker. That keeps SWMBO happy, and that keeps me happy.
    3. Our lifestyle had to adjust to the change in income but that was not too harsh.
    4. We spend more time than before with the activities we enjoy by having the time available to do them.
    5. I can spend more time with friends and our activities - casting, shooting, etc.
    6. I maintain a part-time job because I enjoy the work, people and environment. This is for personal satisfaction, not income (even though that is nice).
    7. If I have a chore to complete, it doesn't have to be done right stinking now!
    Final summary - my pace has slowed but I still have a lot of fun and am enjoying every minute of it.
    I hope your retirement goes as well for you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast