Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Best twist for .357 cast

Boolit Master

Best twist for .357 cast

So my S&W revolver needs a new barrel because some idiot down the line tried to put a K frame barrel on the N frame I now own. My Smith game me some options and I’m trying to figure out what the best barrel option would be. I already have a 158grn SWC hollow point mold and plan on shooting those over H110 and some wadcutter a over W231. What twist rate do y’all think would be best, most of what I can find on the Internet is 1 in 16 to 1 in 18. He is leaning towards buying and cutting a green mountain blank with 1 in 20 twist. In all fairness I don’t think he saw the 1 in 20 twist on the barrel blank. Also, keep in mind I’m going to end up what ever the choice is with a 6” barrel. I’m trying to get the most accurate gun I can out of this thing and I’m not trying to be too cheap about it lol.
    Last edited by sutherpride59; 08-09-2018 at 03:55 PM.

Boolit Master

IIRC, S&W uses a 1:18 twist, that's what I'd use. No need to re-invent the wheel........
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    A quick Google search seems indicate Colt used 1:14. Given that all the major manufacturers use 1:14 to 1:18, I'd probably saw 1:20 isn't ideal unless you're planning on loading light bullets to high velocities and then maybe the slower twist will help prevent them from spinning too fast or something like that...

Boolit Grand Master
    Many years back, I bought a PPC 38 with a 1-14 inch barrel for 38 wadcutters. Were I today concerned with maximum accuracy, I would do the same. 1-20 is too slow.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

I went with the Clark custom, they do 1 in 10 which is the best I have found from further reading for wadcutter a and full loads. I don’t plan on going heavier than 158.

Quote Originally Posted by sutherpride59 View Post
    I went with the Clark custom, they do 1 in 10 which is the best I have found from further reading for wadcutter a and full loads. I don’t plan on going heavier than 158.
    Good ^^^^, Aside from the twist, the 4-groove rifling in the green mountain bbl is more for bp/muzzle loaders.

colt 1 in 14
    most 35cal rifles (35rem/etc) 1 in 14
    ruger 1 in 16
    charter arms 1 in 17
    contender 1 in 18
    s&w 1 in 18 3/4

My ppc revolver has a 1 in 11
    [IMG][/IMG]

These 2 dw's have custom 1 in 10 bbl's. They are extremely accurate and are a hoot to shoot full house loads in with bullets anywhere from 110gr to 200gr.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Boolit Master

That is a sexy picture sir lol. I’m glad I went with the Clark custom, I’m slowly dwindling my collection down from lots of guns to a few really nice ones. Hopefully this will end up as one of those.

I have to ask American select though lol?
    Last edited by sutherpride59; 08-11-2018 at 12:59 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

1-18 for heavier loads and 1-16 or 1-14 for wad cutters and lighter loads. The standard 1-18 will group into 1 1/2 inches at 50 yards with 158 standard velocity loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    Good ^^^^, Aside from the twist, the 4-groove rifling in the green mountain bbl is more for bp/muzzle loaders.

colt 1 in 14
    most 35cal rifles (35rem/etc) 1 in 14
    ruger 1 in 16
    charter arms 1 in 17
    contender 1 in 18
    s&w 1 in 18 3/4

My ppc revolver has a 1 in 11
    [IMG][/IMG]

These 2 dw's have custom 1 in 10 bbl's. They are extremely accurate and are a hoot to shoot full house loads in with bullets anywhere from 110gr to 200gr.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Are those EWK shrouds? Who did the barrels? Still a bit new to the DW world, and yes I'm on the DW Forms.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Yes they are EWK shrouds. The bbl's came from EKW also, then the forcing cones and crowns were re-cut and polished. Now EKW has 1 in 12 twist bbl's, been thinking about picking up 1 of their 8" 1 in 12 twist bbl's.

American select:
    The wc bullet was designed take up case volume. Less case volume ='s less powder & more importantly lower sd's/less variation from shot to shot. Couple that with making the ammo less position sensitive. American select is designed to take up case volume & will take up 23% more case volume for the same load when compared to bullseye.
    bullseye vs american select
    2.8gr of bullseye ='s .3cc
    2.8gr of american select ='s .37cc

Using the same bullet & 2.8gr load for both powders the AM select will have less pressure. This gives the bullet more of a push then a slap.

You'll find that using AM select with a 148gr wc/hbwc in the 38spl results in a load with excellent case fill/case capacity, low sd's, isn't position sensitive, less bullet distortion from low pressures/low short start pressures & extremely accurate.

Anyway I like to use powders that have large case capacities when loading target loads & use a lot of these powders.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Bullseye vs clays/AM select/trailboss (same load weight)
    AM select has 23% more case volume
    clay has 33% more case volume
    trailboss has 100% more case volume

Filling the case is what wc target loads are all about. The bullets are designed to do just that & most reloaders look at the bullets and not the powder.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the information. I like playing with trailboss and clays is my go to for SWC target loads in my 1911 I just haven’t heard much about American select. I’m new to the world ofb38 & 357 so I’m still learning how these wheely thingys work lol.