WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Less glamorous aspect of our hobby

I clean my guns after every time shooting.

I typically run some wet nylon brushes of hoppes and then mop up the rest of the powder fouling with some patches. I notice that my bigger bore guns tend to get dirtier than my smaller bore guns.

On new barrels, I shoot at least 50 jacketed rounds before going to cast. I don't do the whole shoot one, clean, shoot three, clean etc. But I do run some sweets through if I get any blue indicator from the hoppes. If I end up using sweets, I clean the barrel squeaky clean.

But my buddy bought an AK years back and he is specifically is NOT cleaning it. He claims that it's an experiment. I think he just doesn't like to clean guns. I have another buddy that never cleans his guns and one of them used to shoot dead on, but shoots like **** now.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Jim Clark, one of the greatest pistol smiths ever, and the greatest Bullseye shooter ever, was once asked "When should I clean my gun?" He replied "When it stops working."
    I knew Jim well. I started shooting competively when I was stationed @ Barksdale AFB, near Shrevesport, LA, where Jim had his shop. I bought my hardball gun from him, and had him do more work on my pistolas. He also traded/brokered airplanes, and would fly his own plane, with a couple chums, to Perry every year. One helluva guy...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12