Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ram at 200 yd

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ubetcha View Post
    I shoot a T/C 14" 30-30 using a Lee 309-150 gr bullet with 19.5 gr of R7 at 200 meter rams at IHMSA matches and have no problem knocking them over, and that's with a handgun. Our ram targets at our range are more like 230 meter due to a target scoring pit at 200yds
    I have to correct my load data. I use 19.0gr of R7, NOT 19.5gr. Loaded for a match this past weekend but used my 357max instead of 30-30 to shoot the match.
    Last edited by ubetcha; 08-21-2018 at 07:47 AM.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Grand Master
    Re: lever action silhouettes.
    The club I used to shoot at had some of the "stickiest" Rams I ever saw. Not a match went by without multiple somebodies ringing a ram, and this with 30-30's! I went to a 45-70, Marlin CB and a heavier load. But that I think was overkill. Your 35 Rem with 200 grain boolits and 1700 fps should do the trick handily. RL-7 or 5744 are your friends, but 2400 can be also work if you can find it.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Those rams will fall with a Lyman Keith Boolit at 850 fps! I have dropped several with my Ruger SBH with Midrange loads of 8.0 gr of W231 and my S&W 696 with the same boolit with 6.0 gr of W231 for 750 fps from a 3" bbl. There were witnesses!!!

In my 1894 CB with 24" bbl my full magnum loads of 429244 and 22.0 gr of H110(1600fps) knock them down hard as does the .45-70 with 300gr boolits at 1550fps.(33.0 gr of 5744)

I have also use my Enfield #4 Mk1 with 314299's 205 gr and 16 gr of 2400 (1600fps)

All these gun have one thing in common. They all have quality Receiver sights on them that can be adjusted for elevation and repeat each time. The Leverguns have Steel Lyman 66LA's and the Enfield has a Redfield Olympic.

They are all sighted dead on at 100 yards and that allows for two elevation changes for 150 and 200 yards. (Meters at my club.) I have these offsets written in a book and refer to them when shooting this game.

What you want to do will work fine. Taking the gun to the range and sighting it in off a bench at 100 150 and 200 yards to get exactly what you need for elevation changes is the fast way to success.

That way you know the boolits trajectory and can concentrate on Sight Picture and Trigger Control and Follow Thru, instead of chasing the sights everytime you go to shoot. Once sighted in correctly it will do the same thing every time as long as you don't change your loads.

If you do change them, you get to start all over.

Hope this helps.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    All the information has been really helpful Thanks again. My older son has traded for a marlin in 35 rem, and my younger son just purchased a henry 45-70, so this may become a family event. Looks like I hay have a lot more casting to do.

Boolit Master
    Casting to promote quality time at the range with your kids is one of the all time best reasons to be in the boolit game in the first place.

In the last year & a half, I have been lucky. I get spend a couple of hours on most Fridays at the nearby indoor range with my younger son.

And yes, he has probably used at least a couple of hundreds of pounds of my boolits
    Last edited by P Flados; 08-28-2018 at 07:47 PM.

Boolit Bub
    My .357 load was the same for my 10'' DW, and my 10'' BF. knocked down lots of rams at 200 meters. 210 gr. LBT mold, with 12.5gr.s of W296.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12