Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2

Thread: New Remington Conversion- Made my first Cylinder!

New Remington Conversion- Made my first Cylinder!

I've been doing cartridge conversions as part of my amateur(ish) gunsmithing hobby. It's a sickness that started with using Kirst Gated Conversions and progressed to boring out C&B cylinders, then lining them for smaller calibers. Recently though I got my hands on a chunk of 4340 H/H round bar and had a go at making my first cylinder for a reproduction Remington 1858, just to see if I could.

I turned it down on the lathe, then cut the sprocket for a five-shooter because the standard cylinder isn't large enough for six rounds of a .45-caliber cartridge. Then I located and cut the locking notches and timed the cylinder. With that done I line-bored the cylinder, then ran a chamber-reamer in from the other end.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wz3SLpC.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	225209Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KNr1cNU.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	225210

I chambered it for .450 Adams, since I already reload that for some of my antiques and it's a nice, low-pressure load. I made this for a conversion I had done previously in .44 Colt (original.) Results have been good; makes for a nice, soft-shooting gun that is accurate and a pleasure to shoot. The .44 Colt conversion has moved on to a new home in another gun, BTW; waste not, want not and all that.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GUGhDvJ.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	225211Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LmcaCfv.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	138.2 KB 
ID:	225212

This opens a whole new world of possibilities- I've already turned and timed a new cylinder for a Colt 1851 reproduction, a six-shot that will be chambered for .38 S&W (I line the bore with .357 liner.) Anyway, it was a fun and interesting project and I thought I would share it.
    Then one night as my car was going backwards through a cornfield at 90 mph I had an epiphany...

Boolit Master

Tres cool. If you lived closer I'd have a drone outside your shop window filming your procedures.

Wonderful! Thanks for posting, and welcome to the forum.

Boolit Buddy

Good work sir!

Boolit Master

WOW! That is a cool little beast!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Vendor Sponsor

That's nice looking work but have you given any thought to Osammy's Executive Order 7/22/2016 making your hobby gunsmithing work into manufacturing? It carries a hefty $2000.00 fee and is retroactive by BATFE. That's the reason I quit taking in conversions, because it clearly enhances the capability of the weapon beyond what the manufacturer's original product did. No way out of that one, the language is specific.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Can anyone cite the EO number?
    Last edited by Four-Sixty; 08-10-2018 at 07:54 PM.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Nice workmanship and an interesting project. Is the rammer functional on that short of a barrel? Seems like the handle on the rammer is a bit short to grasp for sufficient ramming force -- just the impression I get looking at the photo. Of course, one doesn't need to ram a ball into a cartridge cylinder, and so that makes me think, like on the Richards Mason conversion, why retain the rammer on the modified design?

I think it's still legal for one to make a gun for their own use.

By the way, another "welcome to the forum". Always glad to see new people with knowledge and talent join the club!!

Boolit Master
    A very cool project, one I would love to own myself, well done!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Beautiful work and I greatly appreciate the machining and thought put in to it. Well done!

Doug - your comments bring up a good point. In my ignorance, I'll ask . . . if a person buys a Kirst conversion and converts a handgun - with a gate, installed back plate, etc. - does that also fall under that regulation? I'm assuming if I buy a Howell cylinder and throw it in to a Remington, it doesn't because nothing has been done to the original handgun as it can easily be converted back to C & B?

I haven't called the powers that be here in MI yet to find out how they work it since cartridge handguns have to be registered in this state. Technically, I can go in and buy a C & B, put cash down and no paperwork because the reproduction is considered an "antique firearm". However, if I put a Howell conversion cylinder in it it becomes a cartridge handgun. On your own property, no biggie - but if on the way to a range and stopped, with the Howell cylinder in it it would be considered an "unregistered handgun".

Not to detract form the OP's post though - Tinker, you did a great job on it and be proud of your work! Since you obviously have access or have nice machinery to work with - have you done any cartridge conversions (change calibers) on single shots or relined any rifle barrels or does you equipment limit you to handguns?

Banner Sponsor

Excellent work and very nice little beast.
    I'd love to shoot that one.
    Welcome to the forum.

Boolit Man
    From what I've heard that executive order was rescinded by Trump. I'll see if I can find it. They originally wanted all gunsmiths to pay for the more expensive 07 license. I need a new cylinder for a 1875 Remington in 44-40.
    Mike

Boolit Mold
    Nice! I love 1858s, I have a pair of them now. One I mainly use for bp, the other with a conversion cylinder. I think they're pretty versatile in 45 colt, and even though I have a Glock, a Ruger, a Rossi, a few S&W's and some others, the 1858 Pietta 'Sheriff' model is fast becoming my favorite handgun for plinking and knocking around in the woods. Nice job.
    Take a kid or neighbor hunting or shooting!
    Backstraps make great trophys.