Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stopped by Bass Pro

Boolit Master

Stopped by Bass Pro

IN Alabama, not far from Georgia line off I-20. These folks spent a ton of money on location, long, long one lane entrance along wooded lane along small creek and finally get to store. It's a cavernous place loaded with stuffed animals of gargantuan size and retro pics and mementos. Had a $50 gift card, the reason for the stop, thought I'd pick up a couple of pounds of powder. Browsed my way up 2 flights of stairs to the hunting department and saw everything seemed to be about full retail plus about 20 - 30% !!! So, found the reloading supplies and there was a pound of Green Dot for the low low price of $44.95 and no that's not a typo. Most others were not so ridiculous but still less than I could by delivered to my door. Very few customers and I understand why now. Wound up with a few shotgun cleaning supplies just to use the card up. I suppose the inflated prices are needed to pay for the massive overhead and the decor that might appeal to a citified novice but wow! Unless you have more money than you know how to spend would suggest passing right on by.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Banned

Live about 30 minutes from the epicenter store in Springfied. Lot of cool exhibits, but the prices as beyond crazy. Not sure how they stay in business, except for tourist traffic. People come from all over, every state, based on license plates to see the exhibits.

Boolit Bub
    I agree with Hogtamer. Went into one years ago once, that was both times, first and last. Sadly since Bass Pro bought out Cabela's they seem to be headed the same way. The small gun store near me has better prices on powder.
    Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2

Boolit Master
    High prices are now a fact of life.everyone is complaining . it cost a lot to run these big complex's. LGS are totally dead in the water.
    you are going to have to bight the bullet if you want to load
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I was in the local Cabela's over the past weekend.
    Prices have really increased since the Bass Pro takeover.
    Used to be able to find good deals on refurbished scopes in the Bargain Cave but now the prices are very near MSRP.
    Used firearm prices have gone up considerably there as well, even for rifles and shotguns with rust and other cosmetic issues.
    I don't even look at there powder and primers anymore considering how over priced they are.

Boolit Master
    I've looked around in our local Bass Pro, but never been able to buy much. MUCH better prices at the local gun store on stuff. Plus, I just prefer local smaller family shops.

Back about 2 years ago, Bass Pro ran a sale on Powder. Ship to store $25 a pound. No hazmat, just had to pay sales tax. Bought 2 pounds each of Unique and Bullseye. Only place that had these powders. LGS was about $30 a pound for anything and nothing much on the shelves. Since then, I've looked, but I don't buy. Store in Little Rock, btw. I pass thru there several times a year and just stop to get out of car. I usually walk around for 10 minutes then get back in car shaking my head. My local Cabelas had been decent on prices, but steadily increased since purchase. I've got plenty to last several years, so I'm just looking for a bargain. Not to be found at either place.

Boolit Master
    In my area, they have a Bass Pro Shop, a Cabela's, and a Sheel's. Bass Pro is the highest price. Cabela's is a little bit less. Sheel's is the cheapest. This is not on just one or two things, but everything.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Bass Pro has always been high in my area. I go there for the clothes sales during the Christmas season, but not for any reloading/casting supplies. Powder, primers and brass were always out of reach, and dies were always much cheaper to order somewhere else online.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry O View Post
    In my area, they have a Bass Pro Shop, a Cabela's, and a Sheel's. Bass Pro is the highest price. Cabela's is a little bit less. Sheel's is the cheapest. This is not on just one or two things, but everything.
    Yup! What Harry said.
    Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2

Boolit Master
    we go to bass pro every once in a while just for something to do but if looking for reloading stuff we go to chucks gun and pawn in warner robins or just make a order with powder valley, midway or midsouth

Boolit Master

They are very high. I browsed recently at the one here in Kodak and I couldn't find anything that appealed to me. I have a $25 GC and can't find anything to spend it on. I think I'm gonna buy my son one of the fiberglass 25lb recurve bows that are about 30 bucks.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Bass Pro always seemed to have unobtainable powder during the shortage. But it was for the same reason scalpers have tickets to the game the price was more than most would be willing to pay.

Free ship to store, no hazmat and a friend needed primers so I ordered a couple of pounds of some Dot powder I wanted to try that wasn't generally available and we drove for 40 minutes to pick it up once it arrived. Primers were well over gun show prices and no better availability, the .22 prices were embarrassing, they had plenty same as the table at the gun show with the scalper prices. My friend bought 1k of primers (later bought the 5k he wanted elsewhere) and tried to find a concealed carry shirt or vest. Prices were high and selection was low. Poor service, poor selection and shipped powder plus hazmat beat their prices as long as you were buying several pounds to spread it out across.

From now on I buy gun show or put together a full order to dilute the hazmat fee and order from people that don't ask me to sell a kidney to buy an 8# jug. Some LGS do have powder and they get my business too. None close but not any further away than Cabela's or BP shops.

Been watching a C&B revolver at Cabela's bought one and wanted a second one. They just are not running deals on them any more. Used to be they would discount them from time to time. Or include extra cylinder for an extra $20 now the cylinders are $10 more than they used to be and no package deals in awhile.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    I have BassPro near me in Atlantic City NJ. I only go there if I need something right now because mark up is insane. Powders are $30-45 and primers are over$40 a box. I just went to gun show in Philly and picked up about 10lbs of powders and 5k of primers for much less then BassPro. They do have really nice looking store front with large fish tank and stuffed animals so I'm guessing we have to pay for all that. Last trip there I picked up 500 which is only half a box of CCI Large Rifle Primers and I think I paid around $40 for just that. Thats $80 a box of plane old primers !!!! Crazy isnt it?

Online stores are killing these store front places. Only tourists seem to be walking around there and very few people buy anything.

Older Bro was a sub on one of Morris's projects. Morris had a complete 'woods' area display re-done as the leaves on the trees were not correct.
    Whatever!

Someone gave me a $20 gift card to BassPro & I had it sitting around for a while because there are no stores near by.

I needed a RCBS shell holder so I decided to use the card on-line. The total cost with shipping was $19.50 for that one item. I deleted the link to BassPro from my PC.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master
    Grafs in St Charles MO is two blocks from Bass Pro. Primers are 45 a thousand for Winchester at BP and 32.95 for CCI at Grafs. Powder by my mental math is 25% higher at BP. And who pays 650 for a Glock 19?

Boolit Master
    Lori and I go to the one in Prattville, Alabama every now and again. The last thing I bought there was a reel and some line. Upstairs where the firearms and handloading stuff is is difficult to breath due to the thin air and high prices. Occasionally I will get a plastic cartridge box if they are on sale...
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

I know the store of which you speak. I have taken BP off my list. Our youngest daughter gives me their gift card, even after I have asked her on several occasions not to. Their prices are so high it's not worth my time.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Boolit Master
    I have Cabelas and Bass Pro in the Phoenix area. Haven't been in either for years. Bruno's is the candy store for reloaders in the area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast