MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problems re-forming 30-06 brass to 7x57

Boolit Master
    I have converted 30-06 to 8mm mauser, 7.65 mauser and 7mm mauser. Never had any issues w dents, just ran it thru the press real quick. Issue was neck thickness. I managed to find a 8mm inside reamer, but not 7mm. And not had any issues finding 7mm mauser to make it worth the effort of forming brass.

Boolit Grand Master

You might try setting the shoulder back first in a separate operation then neck down to 7mm. in a pinch a 308 win die could be set high and get it very close. pushing the shoulder back and vecking down at the same time is moving a lot of metal a lot. annealing may help also.

Boolit Buddy
    too much lube . don't try to size it in one step . work it a little at a time.

Boolit Master
    When I was young and dumb (OK, a newbie to reloading) and USGI cases were (IIRC) between $0.06 and $0.08 each. I bought the RCBS form and trim dies for 8mm, 7mm and 7.65mm. Used either the Lyman or RCBS case lube and pad and never had a dent or problem with a Lyman Spartan press. Guess I was just lucky, can't really recollect doing anything special - lube, run the case up, hacksaw the excess and final trim with a fine single cut file. Inside ream with a Foster as needed. That was a bit over - never mind, figure it out from the cost of once-fired brass. No way I'd use -06 brass today, I don't shoot enough of the metrics to justify the time, effort and losing an -06 case that an M1 can eat up lots faster than a '98 can run a mag of the metrics through (besides, open sights take me a while to focus these days - its s-l-o-w fire only).
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

I've used a form / trim die to make 7x57 from .30-06 and never had a problem. I anneal first and use Imperial sizing wax sparingly. Work fine for me ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    I have a 3006 case that looks just like the one in your picture , it happened when I tried to take to big of a run up in the 7x57 die , try resizing it in 4-5 slightly increased steps , like others have mentioned . The idea of forming 7x57 brass interested me until I thought of neck turning , I don't mind trimming length to much but turning neck wall thickness stopped me instantly . Be safe

Boolit Master

I think you can neck up 6mm Rem cases too if ya run outta 06 brass. Necks might be alittle short without looking at a manual and you won't have to worry about thick necks.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...roductId/73072 For new 7mm Mauser brass

If you get the 06 brass reformed to 7mm you are going to have very thick necks and shoulders on the reformed cases. They will have to be annealed again. Depending on the dimensions of your chamber you may have to turn the necks down to about .013. If you get the reformed brass a bit short for the chamber you will need a pretty stiff load with the bullet loaded long into the rifling to blow out that thick shoulder.

I did this for a couple of hundred cases for my Chilian 1895 and it is a lot of work. Or maybe I just made it a lot of work going about it the way I did. Since you can get Privi brass that is what I bought for my other 7 Mauser.

Boolit Man
    MikeN, fullsize in a 30-06 Die is step 1. Step 2 size in a 7x57 trim Die and it works.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN View Post
    Thank you to all that replied. I did lube fairly heavy as I thought the forming process would go harder than it did. The press is an RCBS Rockchucker. I'll keep at it and back off on the excess lube! The only 7x57 new cases I've found are Norma and Nosler at well over 1$ each (almost 2$ for the Nosler) so this looked like a good move. Thanks for the good suggestions! Back to the bench.
    Have you tried looking for PPU 7x57 brass? I use it, and it's pretty good. Check MidwayUSA from time to time. They usually have some at a good price.

8mmFan

Boolit Mold
    Too much lube and going too fast. Light lube you should feel the lube not see it on the case, clean resizing die every 20-25 cases. Use a slow even steady pressure on the arm. I have been resizing 30-06 to 7 x 57 since 1963, probably have done about 1000 cases. If using military cases anealling will help as they are thicker.

Boolit Buddy
    Use a lube made from Castor oil and Lanolin, mixed 50-50.
    Use a very light coat, this lube is better than all others.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12