Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Too cool pot in hot weather?

Boolit Mold

Too cool pot in hot weather?

In my effort to cast the other day, I discovered my Lyman Big Dipper pot would simply not get hot enough. The difference on that particular day was that it was like 84*F. Which is somewhat rare for Alaska, but it does happen. In the process of learning what my relatively new pot can do, I have seen pb temps over 750* in cooler weather (which is too hot for my liking). According to my dial probe in past sessions, 715-720 worked quite well. I couldn’t get it over 690 on that day. Of coarse these might not be accurate temps, but I know what works for me according to MY T-stat.
    I’m not sure where the pots temp probe is, but it has to be between the inner and outer wall of the pot. Just curious if the direct sunlight on the black pot body is tricking out the temp probe.
    I’m flying out to work remote in the morning and bringing 30# of lead and all the fixins too. I have a nice shady spot out there to crank out some shiny’s.
    Oz

Boolit Buddy
    I don't know the workings of the Lyman, but I can tell you Lee pots have the bimetallic switch in the aluminum housing, and rely on heat conducting from the pot assembly back into the housing to trigger the switch. The long path of conduction makes for a long response time, and there is no question those pots run hotter on cooler days, as more heat is lost to the environment rather than making it back to trip the switch.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --BattleRife

Boolit Mold
    Thank you for replying. Maybe just being out the direct sun will help. We get 180 inches of rain per year so I’ll bet I won’t have to wait too long.

Boolit Mold
    Finally got a relatively cool evening to cast. What a difference that made. I would never have guessed how much a few degrees less and no direct sun makes. I’m learning a lot of new things I didn’t know needed learn’t. Lol
    Oz