Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: 45 acp lube

45 acp lube

Been using carnuba red and blue but recently had suggested I should try BAC. Any reason to change to bac? I’m shooting low power bullseye loads. 200 gr swc

Using a star lube sizer

Boolit Master
    BAC will give you a little more flexibility in the cold. I don't think you will have issues with low powder loads because the bullet isn't being pushed hard enough that the lube will stay in the grooves all the way to the target with Carnuba Red/Blue. I know that even the BAC gave me issues in rifle loads in the coldest months here in KS. I had lube splatter way out at 100 yards in the cold it groups were all over the place where as in the summer I had MOA groups.

One positive would be that BAC would flow easier through your star lube sizer.

Boolit Master

A good lube. But then anything from WHITE LABEL LUBE is. I do use 50/50 when I go up to 4000 above sea level to shoot in the colder months.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Unless you have an incredibly accurate .45 or you are shooting in extreme cold, you will likely see very little or no difference in accuracy. Try several lubes; you don't have to empty your lube-sizer to do this. Size and hand lube and shoot some benchrested groups at 25 yards.

I have not found lube to be a critical issue in 45 ACP round in the autopistol with the pressure and velocity be relatively low. I have been using beeswax with enough Vaseline to soften it for use in a lube-size machine for 58 years with no complaints. There are many lubes that will do just as well.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

It is very accurate. It can shoot 2” or less at 50yards. Bullseye pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by RobS View Post
    BAC will give you a little more flexibility in the cold. I don't think you will have issues with low powder loads because the bullet isn't being pushed hard enough that the lube will stay in the grooves all the way to the target with Carnuba Red/Blue. I know that even the BAC gave me issues in rifle loads in the coldest months here in KS. I had lube splatter way out at 100 yards in the cold it groups were all over the place where as in the summer I had MOA groups.

One positive would be that BAC would flow easier through your star lube sizer.
    That’s another reason I’d like to try it. What can I loose right...lol. My buddy uses it and loves it

Just switched from Felix to bac, shooting 4.2 gn bullseye under a 200 swc through my 1911 and it is way too Smokey for indoor and questionable on a calm day outdoors. Just a heads up if that makes a difference to you. I'm going to try the carnuba blue and see if I can reduce the smoke a bit.

Banned

like char char said the 45acp isn't a real test of lubes. About anyting will work. personaly id stick to the carnuba. Mostly because its much cleaner then most lubes and wont gum your gun up as fast.

Boolit Master
    I started with BAC and on a calm day outside there was plenty of smoke especially after rapid fire. I switched to Carnuba Red and haven't looked back. I had to add a little heat (light bulb) for the BAC to flow in my Star. Got the PID set for 91degF for the Carnuba Red. If I ran out of Carnuba Red, I wouldn't hesitate to use BAC until my order of Carnuba Red came in.

Boolit Grand Master

Long, long ago, I spent a week at the Ray Chapman Academy, in Columbia, Missouri. That week, we had a record breaking heat wave. It was something like 113 degrees and the outdoor range surface was crushed white lime stone. It was like being turned on a spit. I had taken a couple of fifty caliber ammo cans full of my reloads (full power .45 ACP loads for my 1911 loaded with my home cast bullets). I was using NRA 50/50 lube. I kept my ammo in the shade but, then, I had it exposed to the sun for no longer than twenty minutes. The lube melted, and I had many, many misfires. I sure got a lot of "clearing exercise", that is for sure. It did NOT do my overall performance any good, that is for sure.

Previous to that, I had NEVER lost a point from a reloaded round failure. I never lost any after that, either, as I kept my loaded ammo in a cooler, after that.

Then, many years later, I discovered LARS Carnauba Red. My ammo is often left in the van in hot days, and I NEVER have had any problems with melting, NEVER!

Accuracy has been excellent (under an inch at 25 yards from my 1911's as well as my 625's off a rest).

The only downside is that I have to use a bit of heat when sizing with the STAR. It is NOT a problem, as I simply have a Lyman heater (flat plate type) hooked up to my size/lubers (drilled for Star, Lyman, and RCBS) with a rheostat. Basically, I just have to remember to turn on the heat about twenty minutes before I need it. Not a problem, at all.

I use Carnauba red for all calibers of both handguns and rifle. The only exception was I used Emmert's Home Mix lube for my Single shot rifles, my BPCR's and Black Powder Cartridge revolver.

FWIW
    Dale53

Awesome. Carnuba red it is then. Now to just get that heat dialed in on the star. I’m pretty much perfect