Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Soupcan II - Here we go (or not)

Bob, what do you recommend?

Being polite Bob, simply being polite.
    It doesn't cost anything and the wish that it all turns out well is sincere.

If I was being nasty, I think you'd know it. You have seen me do nasty before. Brian is simply a nice guy who is caught in a quandry he can't resolve. He's asked for his check back, which is OK too.

And before Grumble or you jump on my head for "butting in" to his group buy -- I was asked in writing by Brian to try to resolve a .003" tolerance this bullet that would be acceptable (at my own risk, of course). I tried, but he judged it unsuccessful after 3 days of trying.

Now Bob, if YOU were going to put a .003" tolerance band on those lubricised driver bands, where would you start and stop?

Trouble only exists if the real "as-cast" size goes below .312" for a standard fat 30 bore gun. .312" to .315"? Add +.0005" for Doug's pot of wonder metal that he uses for fitting? This bumps it to .3125" to .3155" as an "as-cast" print range, which is still sizeable down to .309".

Tell Doug to aim his process at .3145" as his process center and trust his lower distribution tail doesn't go out of print since it has a full .002" to go to get there? (then at least you CAN return the ones that do go out of the bottom of the print range back to Doug, he'd have to take them)

What would you do?

What surprised me is that so many of his group members are planning to do this bullet at .309" sized diameter. That's actually another separate group buy with a tolerance range of .3105" to .3135" centered at .3130" for process center.

It is difficult to try to resolve this wide difference in wants and needs. You have to give up some at the top and accept some risk at the bottom if you even try to split the difference between these two disparate uses.

So, other than throwing a rock or two at me when circumstances permit, what would you do to help Brian out by making him up a .003" tolerance?

That check bearing envelope won't get picked up until tomorrow morning and the night is still young, you know. You can still be a hero -- what would you do?

Kelly
    Last edited by Oldfeller; 01-21-2006 at 01:24 AM.
    All retired now, just growing tomatoes and building and shooting my guns.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfeller
    what would you do? Kelly
    I would buy the controlling shares of LEE and remove ALL the offending parties. First would be the FIRING of double speak Pat. That should get their attention. What really needs to be done is for some of the brethren to start making three cavity aluminum molds and get completely away from LEE and their ****ty tolerances. As for the stone comment, had I cast a stone, you wouldn't be able to write a reply, it was a comment and question, or don't you realize such anymore.
    Last edited by 45 2.1; 01-21-2006 at 08:43 AM.

Buying the company and firing Pat would feel great, but then one of us would have to BE Pat after we bought it and I don't think I'd like to try to be doing the selling/engineering a bullet mold making system that requires .003" tolerance to operate. Especially if somebody was actually measuring what I produced.

I'd have to spend some money on diamond coated boring bars to try to get my cutter tip to stay sharp through a whole run of molds. Then LEE Jr. would fire me for spending too much money on tooling and taking too much time to set up and to crank out the molds (I'd finish pass the molds at a much lower chip load and feed speed so they cut closer to the programmed path -- less boring bar defection as the cutter tip got the least wee bit dull later on in the run).

But none of this helps Brian pick a .003" tolerance band for his bullet.
    All retired now, just growing tomatoes and building and shooting my guns.

Boolit Buddy
    Eastern Boulder Cnty,CO. Can be found shooting at GMSC. Erie
    Please cuont me in. Where do I send the check?

Boolit Buddy
    armexman - I sent two PM's - no response. I am assuming no interest unless you respond real soon.

Cost is $56 including shipping. I will get the order sent this week. I sent an update to all who wanted a mould explaining the situation. I hope to wrap this up RSN (real soon now)

Thanks!

Brian

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

In or out, I don't know

Is the diameter of this thing gonna be .314" as per the drawing on page 1?

Boolit Buddy
    The drawing on page one is what I am sending in.

Brian

Boolit Buddy
    Hello all,

Here goes, this is last call for the 'SoupCan II'. I will be placing the order early next week. The cost is $56 including shipping so if you allready sent a check for $43, I'll need 13 bucks more to complete the deal. I sent a update PM to all that showed interest but I only received a few responses. I sure hope all are still in!

Ready or not!
    Here we go...

Brian

Wink

Brian-

Thanks for putting this group buy together. My check for one of the Soupcan moulds will go out with tomorrow’s mail. Again, I want to thank you for honcho’n this great deal.
    God Bless ya'll
    Greg

Je suis Charlie

"You can observe a lot by watching."- Yogi Berra

Shooters Talk Refugee

Super Moderator

................As this is a working group buy, it should have been a sticky long ago. Sorry 8). It's a sticky now!
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Pat is full of it.

There is no alloy explanation for the fact that the first run of the 454-275 molds the cavities would not accept a .454 gage pin. We are not casting bullets of cerrosafe or woods metal.

I understand the foibles of the process, but I KNOW that Doug's machines and operators can hold +.0005 minus nothing on the CAVITY dia. They are either deciding on the wrong size to begin with, or not holding the parts to print (I suspect the latter)

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Super Moderator

............Order is complete. Thread is 'un-stuck'.

Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Buddy
    Please see arrival update

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=6048

thanks!

Brian

Boolit Buddy
    Please see arrival update : molds going back to Lee

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=6048

thanks!

Brian

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234