Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Steel Shot and chargeing bar Question

Steel Shot and chargeing bar Question

I just bought a mec shotshell reloader and it came with 10 lbs of #4 steel shot , I know that it takes a steel charging bar and tubes , both charge bars have the white inserts 1oz and 1 1/8 oz bars , I have always used a mark v single stage ,always loaded lead and my charge bars for it has the lead insert , grabber just came with the white , will I have to get another bar for lead , thats all I intend to load or will the bars with the white inserts work for lead, this press looks new and is very new to me

Thanks copdills

Are the charge bars black or red? The red bars are for lead and the black bars are for steel, a steel bar throws a different weight than the bars for lead. Example is a 1 1/4 oz steel bar does not throw a 1 1/4 of lead

Boolit Master
    I load a good bit of steel for ten gauge. I don’t use the powder/shot bars or bottles. For me I weigh every charge and every shot weight. My reasoning is that I use mica dusted wads, sometimes felt under shot, mythin or mythick wraps, buffer, overshot cards and the like. You will remove and reinstall the hulls from the stations too many times.
    I batch load in stages like you would with loading blocks then run them through the crimping stations.
    With lead there is no issues however. Steel sucks and I use a steel master press.
    I began loading for the sept 1 goose season this evening. My ole lab of 14 died a couple years ago and now I have a 10 month yellow lab to train.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

My Bars are Red Thank you leadhead 500 for that great information, larbradigger1 if I ever try to load steel I will try your method, I like the idea of stages , thats about the way I use my single stage and good luck with your new yellow lab
    Last edited by copdills; 08-08-2018 at 11:04 AM.