RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Alox Max Tumble Lube

Alox Max Tumble Lube

Thinking of tumble lubing without gas ck. for 44 mag rifle - up to what speeds should the alox protect from leading

Boolit Master

I don't know the answer to your question, but I will tell you my experience.

7.62x54R, cast of straight air cooled CWW, dip lube in BLL after sizing. Shooting out of my 91/30 at just under 1800 fps, not a trace of leading.

I think you'll find that nobody can answer your question except you, shooting your firearm.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know what the max is but I'm shoving a RCBS 45 cal. 405gr. out of my 1895's at 2000 fps. with H4198. I use Lars Xlox and get zero leading in either my Micro-groove or Ballard rifling.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

+1 to what Bookworm says. All my guns will perform differently. So i just reserve it for plinking work. Haven't used BLL but i use 45/45/10 at the moment.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Banned
    I use alox in rifle loads up to 1800 fps and have had no leading.

I only use one very light coat on well fitting, gas checked bullets in 3 or 4 calibers. In plain-based rifle bullets I load to 1400 fps with no problems.

The 1800 fps is by no means the upper limit of alox's abilities. That is just where my loads work for me.

I have used Ben's Liquid Lube, Lar's 45-45-10, Lee's Alox straight and Lee's Alox thinned with mineral spirits. All shoot very well with no discernible difference in accuracy.

The only accuracy issues I have ever had was in the beginning when I fell into the "more is better" trap and coated my bullets with too much lube. All it did was gum up my seating dies and cause random flyers.

Steve in N CA

f-h, As per the above, you'll have to experiment with your rifle and say, 50 non-gas checked CB's v. 50 gas checked CB's, at the same target & distance, and using the same powder and charge. A chronograph would also be helpful, since once you determine the initial velocity, you can increase the powder charge (same powder of course) until you get bore leading and/or a loss of accuracy with the non-gas checked CB's.

Boolit Grand Master

I too would test some myself. Cast and lube a dozen (alloy and size are very important) any shoot them. Run a patch through the barrel and inspect for leading. BTW, 44 Mag. rifle barrels are SAAMI spec'ed. at .431". My 44 Puma likes .433" bullets...
    My Anchor is holding fast!