MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dumb Moves

Boolit Grand Master

Dumb Moves

I hate to be like those Facebook posters telling everyone about everything they are doing! But, I'm sitting here cooling off and waiting on the insurance adjuster to come by. I've been out in the garage sweeping up broken glass all morning. Being in a hurry, I backed my Wife's nearly new Expedition out of the garage with the back glass open. The safety glass just exploded. Its all in the Expedition, all over the garage floor, all over the 30ft X 50ft driveway. I'll probably be finding glass for the rest of my life! It was a collective bo bo but its like pulling the trigger and being responsible. I did it!

Its not the end of the world. We have both full coverage auto insurance and homeowners insurance. We'll be out the deductible and without one vehicle for a day. I still feel like I've qualified for the dumb move of the week award!

You'all help me out here! Make me feel better! Share some of the dumb moves you have made.

Moderator Emeritus

12 years old, I had a Benjamin pellet gun 177. It would shoot bb's if you kept the muzzle up and they were 1/4th the cost of a pellet. I was emptying it out on my palm when the trigger went off. Sure enough my booger hook was in there, bb bounced off and it bled good for a while. i didn't tell my folks the story but watched it hard for red streaks. 42 years later it must be OK.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I backed out of a garage bay with the drivers door open, ran it right into the door frame of the shop. Cost me a pretty penny. Of course I was young & dumb when I did that, I would never do something like that now that I'm (much) older & wiser.

Read every thread involving the tinsel fairy. They all involve an oops. Some are a what was I thinking oops, some were who would have thunk that would cause the evil fairy to visit. Many spread lead almost as far as you spread pieces of safety glass.

Tied a stack of lumber on top of some sheets of plywood to the top of the car. Done lumber many times but not with plywood. If you have never seen it you have no idea how far and high a sheet of plywood will fly at 50 mph. Wheeeeee! No one close behind (wonder why) and a side road so no one was hurt by my mistake but the wood took a beating.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    It happens. If you were perfect you’d been crucified by now! Todd/3leg

Boolit Master

Once upon a time, took out the window of the driver's door of my Wrangler. Had the top off and noticed it was starting to rain, so I drove it into the garage and, getting out, banged the window into a piece of rebar hanging off the end of my metals rack. Stupid part was that I'd been unloading leftover materials from my work truck and had to duck under that bent piece of rebar on my way out to move the Jeep.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

When I was about 13, I was mowing the pasture with an IH 856 with a year-round cab. It was hotter than hades and I had the door locked open... darn apple tree limb got it the way and tore the whole thing right off. Dad was fit to be tied!

Pulled the slide back on my Ruger RST4 and put #10 into the chamber. Dropped the magazine and looked at it. Empty...so the gun was empty. Right? Wrong.
    Reloading the magazine and touched the trigger. BANG! (this was before they started putting in the magazine cut off).
    Into my right inner thigh, bounced off the inside of my femur, out at mid back thigh, back into to center of my calf and stopped above my ankle.
    Still have the bullet in my leg after some 50 years. The docs said it wasn't harming anything so let's leave it there.
    Dumb move? Yup...I shot myself with an unloaded gun!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Moderator Emeritus

I resemble this remark, LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I hate to be like those Facebook posters telling everyone about everything they are doing!

>>>SNIP
    Back to the topic, auto insurance.

It was 1986, My job transfered me to a new location (Glencoe). The company parking lot was long and narrow. Everyone parked nose first toward the building, but the narrow lot did allow for parking on the opposite side, but no one ever parked there. One icy day, I back out, away from the building, with my 1981 Saab 900 turbo and did a "Rockford", I was on the accelerator pretty good...and BAM ! I hit a co-workers car (4 door sedan), he was parked were no one usually parks, I was young and dumb and wasn't looking. My front fender slamed hard into his car, my front axle lined up with the Door post of that 4 door sedan and I bent the frame of the co-workers car. He had a for sale sign in the window $800.

So I go back into work and find the co-worker and tell him I hit his car. He didn't believe me, till he seen it. I asked if I could just buy his car, even though I didn't know I bent the frame at that time, I knew I hit it hard and figured the $800, minus whatever parts I could sell off it and minus whatever the junkyard would pay...I figured I'd be ahead compared to what my insurance premium would raise to (I was 21 with a couple speeding tickets and one other collision claim). He wouldn't let me buy it. He wound up getting a claim of $1200.

Now the rest of the story, as this is about Insurance.
    Right after the claim, My insurance dropped me, they also dropped my parents, who had clean driving records and no accidents and 4 other vehicles on the policy. The Insurance company was a division of a small family owned bank...the bank where my Mom worked for the last 35+ years. My Mom was not happy about it, she had retired the previous year and took it as a snub.

I am not a fan of any insurance and/or insurance companies, this was one of the reasons why.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the replys everyone. The only thing injured was my pride. I'm glad that you guys that were injured were able to recover.

Boolit Master
    When I was around 10, I had the bright idea of shooting at rocks with a Daisy BB gun. Got a big, bloody welt on the side of my neck and learned about ricochet as a result. Was rolling on the ground holding my neck for a while after that one, lol.

Boolit Master
    have a DR wood chipper/shredder chipping and shredding brush weeping willows to be exact, discharge screens kept clogging with the leaves, no problem, we'll just take them out it doesn't have to be shredded that fine (1/4 holes in the screens). This is when you should immediately stop and re-evaluate your thinking skills......... naw it'll be OK However this time the entire chute clogged, and with out shutting off the 18 HP motor and so much as a blink I whipped open that chute door a reached in to clear that chute (against the rotating flails in the cutter box) and guess what????? Now I can count to 4 and7/8 on one hand and I consider myself very lucky at that. needles to say my middle finger is a constant reminder.

Boolit Grand Master

Was at a high power match at Washenaw Sportsman club and a father and his daughter were shooting beside me. After 600 yds I put their scope and 2 rifles on my cart to lighten their load walking back to parking lot. Dad I and a couple others were talking and she was loading the gear into a bronco. she got verything in and didn't notice the rod and ball handle of the freelands stand sticking out. Closed the window and it exploded. Dad looked over looked at me and said that's number 3 weve broken. I dropped a canoe loading it and broke the wing vent window on my pick up the night before a trip.

When I was a teenage I am not sure the age anymore for how long ago. But it was late winter and there was a ant hill near the duck coop and I had dump some gas on the hill and light it and then since it did not do much after the fire went out.I was with my brother and then I took the metal old gas can and yes i dump it over the ant hill. before I know it I was just over 10feet back wards on my butt and wonder what happened and there was flames on the tar paper on the duck coop.My brother and I had put the fire out. For year did not told our dad what happened till after I got out of the navy and he said I was wonder why the gas can was round at the bottom and that was all he said.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Went to the tool repair shop to pick up my miter saw put in the trunk of the wife’s Mustang hatchback and closed the lid! BOOMglass everywhere and my wife and I both dressed up headed for a wedding!

Boolit Master
    Hard to pick just one I have 50 years of making dumb moves

Back in high school a buddy got his car stuck. I grabbed the keys to dads truck to go pull him out ( no need to wake him at four in the morning) everything went good,got him pulled out, I pulled into the car wash to clean the truck, the out side and the underneath. I got it good and clean vacuumed it out,no way he will ever know. Pulled back threw the wash and hung the mirror on the hose ripped it clean off.
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    When I was in my early twenties i was walking back in the swamp . Had a little 44 Philly derranger saw a knot on a tree looked like a good enough target so I took a shot. The next thing I rember is waking up with a heck of a head ache. Walked back home when wife saw me she said what the heck happened to you. Had a goose egg the size of a tennis ball at the top of my forehead. And what I thought was a few minutes turned out to be all afternoon. Went back later and saw small hole in tree maybe 3/4 inch deep but no ball. Last time I ever shot at a tree.

Two things come to mind...... "it could be worse",and the other..."it depends on your perspective".

A biz acquaintance of the wife just had a big tree fall on their house.No biggy,call the insurance guy.Problem is/was the house is under contract to be sold.... was going to closing in a week or two.Buyer still wants it but dang,what a thing to happen..... from "their" perspective.

20 or so years ago I rebuilt an 1890's Queen Anne Victorian house that a 250 y.o. white oak tree fell on.We were neck deep in historic pres work at the time.Have done 1/2 dz + "book" houses and buildings ( National Trust of Historic places,has a book listing these $$$$ properties).....so,from my "perspective",ehhh no big deal. But for our friends.... sheeesh,what a royal pain.

Be patient,let your agent do what you're paying them to do.Good luck.

Boolit Master
    Had a Dodge truck with those extendable mirrors backing out of the garage one Sunday morning wife says you better pull over some or that mirror will be damaged, I said naw it will flip backwards.
    She was right it caught in the door wheel channel and exploded. Bad thing it cost bout $175 at the dealer ship. Couldn’t find one at the wrecking yard so they ordered one for $75 ,nice folks.

Boolit Master
    I was bringing my new gas grill home from a church function in the back of my PU when it slid all the way to the tailgate and flipped out the back onto the fourlane......Why I didn't strap it down I'll never know......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast