WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ID this mold will ya...

Boolit Grand Master

SO, how much Bullseye would you need to load it???
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    #5 Cannister Boomenmaker

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    SO, how much Bullseye would you need to load it???
    Well according to my low math scores in school I figure it out like this using the normal 38 spl Bullseye combo as reference 5.00" is 13.966 times bigger than .358" so 13.966 X 3.0 grs of Bullseye = 41.9 grs rounded off . Should make a good plinker load for that 5" deck gun vel in the 750-800 fps range !
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

185 times larger area (5/2)^2/(0.358/2)^2 and I'd think you would want a slower powder like one of the 50 Cal. BMG powders, or slower I would guess that 41.9 grains of Bullseye would definitely make the can, er, boolit leave the muzzle, but would the barrel explode or ???

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    185 times larger area (5/2)^2/(0.358/2)^2 and I'd think you would want a slower powder like one of the 50 Cal. BMG powders, or slower I would guess that 41.9 grains of Bullseye would definitely make the can, er, boolit leave the muzzle, but would the barrel explode or ???
    I see you payed attention more in math class than I I get lost when they start adding letters and symbols to simple math ! Lol And let me ask this if I may . If as in this hypothetical case . If we are just scaling up a typical 38 special load for this 5" wadcutter in all aspects wouldn't also that Upscaled load of Bullseye still have the same chamber pressure as the normal 3 gr load ???
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

As an Electronics fiend, I use math a LOT. But I am not an expert on ballistics quite THAT much. If you scale a round up and scale the powder charge up proportionally, I am honestly not quite sure what would happen, but I bet QuickLoad would tell you!

And I am going to GUESS that it's not safe, because of the concept of "Scaling", which I'll explain in a minute.

To clarify - Say you make a round out of a 50 BMG case that ends up twice 0.357" diameter - Let's say you make it exactly twice the dimensions in all 3 dimensions - Then the diameter of the case would double, so it'd be 4 times the area of powder burning, and twice as long of a powder chamber - So you would have 8 times as much of a fast powder (Say Bullseye) - BUT. The case wall thickness would only be twice as thick as the original 38 or 357 load's wall; Not 8 times thicker.

That's the concept of scaling - If for example you had an Ant sized up to 10 times normal size - Its' legs would be 100 times normal strength (from their width and height both being 10 times as large) - but its' weight would be 1000 times as much, as its' length had ALSO increased by 10 times. And the powder's effective burning speed would be 10 times as fast as in the initial case - In all 3 dimensions; That would be too fast for SURE in a 3.58" diameter cannon shell!

You could work around it by using a slower powder but that's not the question you asked. (I am not sure what would happen if you remade Bullseye powder in twice as large of pieces in all 3 dimensions, that'd be CUSTOM powder certainly!)

Boolit Master

Richard Lee didn't come up with the "soup can" .

LYMAN had a .30 cal mold shaped like a "soup can" before 90% of the folks on this Forum were born.

LEE just resurrected it.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12