RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2

Thread: .44 russian, special and magnum ?

Banned

.44 russian, special and magnum ?

looks as if the differences with these cartridge cases is just their length.

so, can a revolver or rifle chambered for .44 magnum also safely accept a .44 russian and .44 special?

if so, are there any other concerns?

Boolit Master

Carbon build up in the chambers would be my only concern.
    Inaccuracies in bullet impact on the target might be another.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

Same concept as 22 short, long and long rifle. Carbon will eventually build up and will restrict going back to the longer cartridges.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Banned

thanx guys, yer answers were as expected.

Boolit Master
    If I recall correctly the 44 Mag case is only 1/10th of an inch longer than the 44 Special. The Russian is a bit shorter, but I wouldn't mess with it anyway; as 44 Special brass is harder to find than 44 Mag, and the Russian even harder to find.

Banned

starline has the russian, special, and mag brass all in stock.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    38 Colt Short, 38 Colt Long, 38 Special in a .357 Magnum. I do it all the time - just because I like loading all of them. Yes, you can get carbon buildup but it's not a biggie. On my 357 Handi Rifle, the chamber is deep and they are known for that. In that rifle, not only do I shoot the above cartridges, but also the .360 DW (Dan Wesson) that Starline sells. I could ream it for 357 Max but don't really have a need for that. All of them shoot well.

I'm also a bad boy and shoot 45 Schofield in my 45 Colt.
    The only issue I see that might have to be considered is if you are shooting them in a lever gun and possibly having feeding issues due to length.

Banned

i'm toying with the idea of a utilitarian .44mag s/s rifle such as the cva hunter, stick on a cheap scope, and building bp greaser and PPB cartridges. no particular use in mind, just interesting to me and prolly just fer plinkin' fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    Same concept as 22 short, long and long rifle. Carbon will eventually build up and will restrict going back to the longer cartridges.
    Same.. .. kinda. The .22s have the benefit of using a heeled bullet so the chamber diameter is 'same' (for values of same) as the projectile. Piddly detail thingy though.

If you shoot one only at a time.After you are done with that one cart. Just clean the chamber and then go to the next one if that is what you looking to do some time. Also if you where to start with shooting 44mags and then the shorter ones after will not be a problem with carbon because of use of shorter cases. But if you just shoot one of the others and not normal all the time then I think you will not have a problem for short term.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

My dies will work with both 44 special and magnum. I would need different dies to flare and crimp the short 44 Russian case. You could add “modern” 44 colt to the mix as well as modern 44 colt is loaded with inside lubed bullets. 44 colt is in between 44 Russian and special in length. 44 special can be loaded low enough for light cowboy action so I don’t feel the need with additional steps needed to load 44 Russian.

Boolit Grand Master

38 SPL in 357 mag is good. 44spl in 44 mag works 44 russian should be fine but a lot of jump. 45 schofields in 45 colt good. Just remember the shorter cartridges have more jump into throat and forcing cone. Another is to clean the chamber good to remove carbon and fouling build up. A lot of older 22s have a corrosion ring in the chamber from years of 22 shorts and not being cleaned

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Are you sure your does sound bell and crimp the Russian? They will definitely work in any 44 mag. I had to grind some off the top of a shell holder for my 32sw to crimp with my 32cap dies.