Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: H&G 78 for S&W 25-2 with big cylinder throats

Boolit Master

H&G 78 for S&W 25-2 with big cylinder throats

I have a S&W 25-2 in .45 acp with throats that run .455" and .456". I would like to try it at Bullseye this winter. It does not shoot well at 25 yards with .452" bullets. I keep reading about Marty “Babe” Magnan, who favored revolvers, and liked the H&G 78, but apparently in a modified form: http://www.militaryupdate.org/winner...-45-acp-loads/
    http://www.hensleygibbs.com/molds/78.jpg

Does anyone have a drawing for his modified form of this bullet?

Boolit Master

That is one I am looking at.

Vendor Sponsor

I can't speak as to address that mold or boolit design, but I can address the Uberti "Old West" model which is my avatar pic, it came to me with .4565" throats, .451" barrel, and I use the 454190 cast in 50/50+2%, sized to .456" with SPG lube and it is a fly's worst nightmare at 10yds over 9.0gr of Herco!

Sorry my boolit description is a little OT, but my point is that you need to size to the throats, having a .454" boolit in .455" ~ .456" throats will only be marginally better than the .452" boolit. Your H&G 78 needs to be at least .456"

How even are the throats in your cylinder? It really doesn't matter their final diameter, but it DOES matter that they are all the same. Having those throats honed to the diameter of the largest throat will improve groups noticeably, and you can size to fit them much easier.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 08-07-2018 at 04:52 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

The wonderful thing about Accurate Molds is they will allow you to deviate from their catalog diameter, and I have one of their 45-240K molds set to produce .456" bullets. I am looking here at getting a mold that will produce a somewhat lighter bullet.