MidSouth Shooters Supply

View Poll Results: Have you ever shot your chronograph

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

59 56.73%
  • No

32 30.77%
  • I don't own a chrono, I'm just here to laugh at the people who shot theirs!

13 12.50%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who has ever shot their chrono?

Boolit Master
    i shotPaul's once with a tokarev. bought him a new one.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Mine took a gas check right in the gizzard. Still works. I now have a steel shield in front of the screen.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    I've not shot the chronograph, but I did manage to knock it over from muzzle blast due to a makeshift base to put it and the tripod on.

Made some repairs and still use it. I've never tried to shoot pistol rounds over a chronograph. I can see how that would make it considerably easier to have such a mishap.
    Similar to above; blew the heavy tripod and chrony to the ground (no damage). Despite the heavy muzzle brake and side blast from the AR-50; there does seem to be some level of muzzle blast behind those 650 to 800 grain bullets/boolits going down range. I now set the Chrony out at 20 feet instead of 10 feet when developing loads for the AR-50.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Took out the LCD screen of my first Chrony - an F-1 - with a wad from a .45-70 BP round. Replaced the F-1 with an Alpha Master (remote read-out) and, after tagging my second screen rod, replaced the steel rods with wood dowels set in brass ferrules.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Shot a three round set offhand to test both accuracy and velocity of my 45-70 rounds. None hit the target. Looked at the chrono and found three edge hits on bottom of the screen. So for the last ten years I have been using a chrono that was hit with 3 rounds of 45-70 ammo. That is one tough instrument.
    T

Moderator Emeritus

I voted no but that doesn't count the McDonalds straws I use to hold screens.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I have not personally shot my own chrono. But I was witness to one. Guy shows up at the range with a brand new one (no ide what kind though. nice kit though. Proceeds to set it up. line things up, and forgets that the scope is a few inches higher than the bore. Drilled it on the first shot. He never said a word. just looked at the carnage, paused for a moment. Then packed up his rifle and the pieces parts. Got in his truck and left.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Son View Post
    You need more options. Such as multiple chronograph kills, multiple hits on the same chronograph, etc. I personally shot mine, twice, one round immediately after the other. Wasn't even a good group when you consider the fact that the chronograph was only ten feet away.
    This is correct,
    Not who has shot a chrono, but how many have folks shot.
    I have only one, twice....
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I shot the screen rod on the second shot, on a new Chrony. I can't figure out why, because I would have had to be about 8 feet off the target to get that far over and hit that rod...... but yup.... I did it.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve shot my chrony on my 1st outing. 158gr slug went through rear sensor housing, surprisingly sensor survived and I was able to make a bracket and use that chrony for a while; until I put another slug dead center then there was prochrono which also died prematurely, so instead of buying another expensive target I’ve bought labradar - no more chrono shooting for me, no going down range for setup and can use it at my indoor club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never put a boolit into my F1 but I have pounded on it real good with 45/40 sabots shot from a 45-120 smokeless CF rifle. I never used the metal shade rods, just bamboo skewers.

I think the reason I haven't shot my chrony is I don't shoot groups through it. I just concentrate on putting the shot aligned over the sensors. I am shooting into a tall backstop.

BB

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, was not fatal, rods got it once also

am44 mag I surely thought someone would suggest an addition to the title saying "on purpose".. Heh heh The way that I feel sometimes when after a shot (you really need to know how fast) the chrono still reads zero "H" zero " L" and zero "AVG" LOL

Did learn on this site (cast boolits.gunloads.com) somewhere about sometimes better results happen without the sunshades on like on cloudy dark days.

Boolit Bub
    Technically, no, but I cheated. Went to the range once with my brand new chrony. Line was hot so while I waited until line was safe I was watching the guy next to my bench shoot through his chrony, fourth shot that I saw him shoot went through the display. So I chickened out that day and built a holder for my chrony that had a 1/4" thick piece of angle iron in front of it with 2 old shot bags of sand in front of that. Set it up the next time I went and shot some .38 LSWC over it just to see how it worked. After about 15 rounds I did mange to shoot the sand bag, but saved the chrony. Don't use the holder anymore just more careful, so my time is coming I suppose.
    Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2

Boolit Master

Took my brand new chrony to the range with my S&W .357 with some 125gr J-word hp pushed by Win 296. I screwed it in to a heavy camera tripod. First shot blew the rig over. Didn't learn a thing. Set it back up and fired the next shot right thorough the works. I got a new set of innards from a member here and it works well. But all the second time shooters have made me nervous and I am going to head to the shop and a piece of heavy steel plate I have laying around.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

As I posted, I have upgraded to the LabRadar but just to be extra safe I built a screen that sits on the bench between the unit and the gun being fired. This is only used when there is a rifle on the rest that has one of those blow back muzzle breaks or heavy revolver loads that may spit lead sideways from the gap. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

I’ve hit mine with gas checks and B.B. gun. Now with a lab radar I don’t have to worry about that.

Boolit Master

Well, I haven't yet, but on the first trip out, the range officer at our range wanted to test his 45 ACP loads in his revolver. I thought he must know what he is doing.... His first shot hit the overhead boards that should have been my clue. Thought for sure he was a Range officer and NRA certified.....He can't be that bad. Sure enough, next shot took out the two wires holding the sun screens in place. Last time someone else shoot through my Chrony. By the way he did pay for the wires. Yep, they are everywhere.

Boolit Buddy
    Not yet

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast