Wideners Titan Reloading

View Poll Results: Have you ever shot your chronograph

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

59 56.73%
  • No

32 30.77%
  • I don't own a chrono, I'm just here to laugh at the people who shot theirs!

13 12.50%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who has ever shot their chrono?

Boolit Master

Who has ever shot their chrono?

Admit it, you've done it too.

I've unfortunately done it twice. First time, I manage to hit it dead center through both sensors with a 9mm. Needless to say it didn't survive. Heck of a way to learn to stop jerking the dang trigger.

After that I built a stand for the chrono to sit in and put a 1/2" thick AR500 steel plate in front of it. It's angled downwards so any bullet fragments will be directed down away from the chrono, but not back at me. I still shot that one too though. I clipped one of the rods that holds the sunshade with a 357 mag. It hit exactly where the two rods join together to make one long rod, and sent the top one flying. I found it about 15 yards away twisted to heck but still intact. A little straightening with a vise and some duct tape got the chrono going again in short order.

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    You need more options. Such as multiple chronograph kills, multiple hits on the same chronograph, etc. I personally shot mine, twice, one round immediately after the other. Wasn't even a good group when you consider the fact that the chronograph was only ten feet away.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

i'm using my competition electronics pro chrony digital since over 10 years.i've never left anyone else than me testing with it,might be the reason he's still going strong lol.

Banned
    There are two kinds of people with chronographs: Those who have shot their chronograph and those who are going to shoot their chronograph.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 08-07-2018 at 06:22 AM.

Boolit Master

Does the support bars for the sky screens count? If so, yes..........a lot.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Moderator Emeritus

Yup. Now I use wooden rods for screen.

Boolit Master

I have never shot mine, but my buddy killed my screen bars with a sabot coming off of a 12 gauge slug. Now using wood dowel rods. He killed his own with a 41 magnum, right thru the heart!

Boolit Bub
    Shooting a black powder round. The bullet went where it was supposed to and gave a good reading. The fiber wad peeled off and hit the front of the screen. It didn't kill the Chronograph, but left an ugly
    surface wound.

Boolit Buddy

After shooting one of the rods I cut short pieces to place in the chrono and placed plastic straws on the pieces, figured if I hit a straw nothing else would get hurt.
    eveready

Vendor Sponsor

Nicked the top of the sensor, went right back together and still worked that day so considered only a flesh wound? Ironic that my LBT 250gr WFN boolit didn't like BLUE that day!

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Not until a so called friend asked me to test his service grad AR across the screen to check his velocity. I knew I had to raise my point of aim with that high sight but I misjudge and smacked it. Then another guy tells me this same guy did the same thing to another guy the week before. Have thought he did it to me deliberately but who knows

Boolit Buddy
    I've not had cause to shoot my skyscreens yet, but I have had 'friends' who took care of that for me. I'm more judicious now and the question is which will run out first, friends or spare skyscreens.

Boolit Master
    Shot mine top edge back timer metal, kept on working, still working 3 years. Have hit rods a few times, now have wooden dowels now to hold sky screens if needed, some times don’t use sky screens, just have to know where to shoot.

I recently upgraded to a LabRadar so unless something really strange (Bouncing bullet back off metal plate) happens my chronograph shooting days are over. Mine is a CED Millennium so all the important parts are out of the line of fire. I have chipped one sensor but it still works fine. I've shot so many support legs that I've started just making my own out of very thin hardboard. I most surely could not miss one of the cheaper models where the whole unit sits down range. Gp

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    LabRadar here too. If I manage to shoot THAT, I'm worse messed up than ANYONE thinks... I have thought of getting a second Chronograph for one special case but that's a "maybe some day after I get the do list under 12,304,221 items" thing LOL (I sweat items on the do list BREED and lengthen the list every night.)

Boolit Master
    My hits have been from gas checks that came off the boolit. That provides enough "whack" to dent the front of the sensor but not do crippling damage. But it will kill one of the types that have the readout screen right there in the vulnerable position. Fortunately gas checks do not come off very often but I have had 3 of these hits in the past 20 years, one of which took out the screen readout (stay away from that type chrono if you shoot gas checked boolits!).

Boolit Master
    I've never shot a chronograph. Mine had been shot already so that might have cured it of any attraction to bullets.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Moderator Emeritus

First Chrono...Second visit to the range
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

At least no one has owned up to shooting their Labradar...LOL
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

I've not shot the chronograph, but I did manage to knock it over from muzzle blast due to a makeshift base to put it and the tripod on.

Made some repairs and still use it. I've never tried to shoot pistol rounds over a chronograph. I can see how that would make it considerably easier to have such a mishap.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast