MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Wideners

View Poll Results: I'm going to shoot my Ruger Redhawk in 44 Magnum for a local shooting competition?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trailboss

2 4.88%
  • Unique

11 26.83%
  • A 2400

19 46.34%
  • W296

9 21.95%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What should I shoot at the competition?

What should I shoot at the competition?

I'm going to shoot my Ruger Redhawk in 44 Magnum for a local shooting competition... What should I shoot?

OK 44Blam
    You may want to reconsider your poll parameters and widen the information platform. A case full of Trailboss pushing a 310gr. semi-wad, won't knock over an IMHSA ram, even if the sights had enough adjustment. A case full of 2400 and a 200gr rf will probably set fire to a 7yd paper target. My Redhawk did not hold up well to several years of Ram toppling loads. The wife and I, now only shoot 3 screw Ruger super Blackhawks at steel. Our light target loads of paper punching variety, preform best using early high pressure spike propellants. The Redhawk does not lend itself well for most of the walk and shoot games. Maybe the game is make the most noise? Most smoke? Big holes in paper generally score lower. Light weight projectiles are much less effective on steel targets. We shoot several disciplines and approach them all differently.
    I am trying to be respectful and diplomatic. What are we doing?

Roy
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Boolit Grand Master

Whichever one is the most accurate in your gun. Too many variables to comment more. We can't do your load work up for you - every gun is unique.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Paper or steel targets?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    I'm going to shoot my Ruger Redhawk in 44 Magnum for a local shooting competition... What should I shoot?
    I signed up for a pin league. Expecting real wood pins loaded moderate loads under a 358156. Then I get there only to find that the pins are hollow plastic.

I'm not over gunned, and the swc do better than the plastic fantastics with megaclips.

While you can really tell that I hit a pin, my times are the worst in the league. Did I say that I'm the only one shooting a revolver?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Oh so many questions. This poll is like saying "I'm going to race a car. Which one should I choose?"

I have used Bullseye, W231, Unique, Universal, Trail Boss, Blue Dot,True Blue, 800x, AA9, W296/H110 and WC820 in my 44 Magnum loads...
    Last edited by mdi; 08-07-2018 at 03:43 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

2400 or Blue Dot powder shoot the best in my RSBH H110 / 296 are also vary good but I'm not a fan of full house loads for all day fun
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

This made me giggle:
    "A case full of 2400 and a 200gr rf will probably set fire to a 7yd paper target. "

If I use the RH, I almost always use Trailboss loads at the comp. Part of the reason is that I didn't really want to be obnoxious. But last time I used some factory rounds for one of the courses because the target was a knock down target and it was fairly heavy... After the first shot, everyone was quite surprised.
    Most people out there are much faster than me and shoot 9mm and generally super light plinker loads. I kind of feel like just walking up with a wheel of thumping W296 and see what the reaction is...
    I know I won't win the pistol comp, I just like to shoot it. I might be able to take a couple of the rifle courses, though.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Just guessing here, but shooting AT the competition may be illegal and badly received, no matter what you shoot (Yeah, 5amish and I'm in a weird mood!)

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    Just guessing here, but shooting AT the competition may be illegal and badly received, no matter what you shoot (Yeah, 5amish and I'm in a weird mood!)
    Had the same thought, I usually shoot at the targets.
    Your W296 loads would be like the time I had 10 rounds of black powder in my 45 Colt at a Cowboy Action match. shot low power loads all day, up til the last stage, loaded the BP, which need a full case of powder, and started off. Timer operator kept backing up. it was fun, it was loud and it created so much smoke I could not see the targets for all 10 rounds. Best part was the line to start the stage was "Hey yall, watch this!".
    CF
    Vote Independent, vote Republican, vote Democratic, just don’t vote Incumbent!
    I believe in the Bible, Freedom, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and personal responsibility. My government believes I am narrow minded, intolerant and dangerous.

Boolit Master

It would be nice to know what the competition rules and type are.

What targets are?

What power requirements are?

Hard to give help without.

Boolit Grand Master

Heres what I will recommend under your given perameters. If a power factor just meet it. If steel or target that needs to be knock down over or off just enough to do the job reliably. If no power factor or other limiting reasons, use the most accurate lightest load possible. The added accuracy will score higher the light load and recoil will keep you at you peak longer. As fatigue sets in scores drop heavy recoil loud muzzle blasts really can tire quickly. Theres a reason 38 spl wadcutter loads are used in so many competitions. Light report very light recoil= better scores. Of your listed powders unique would be my choice with the light loads around 800-850 fps maybe even a little lower.

What kind of competition? That will dictate what kind of load. I used to shoot met sil, pretty much max loads for 220y steel. IDPA, I would be shooting pretty light, 200gr bullets @ like 700fps. Just paper targets, same thing. Pins, just about any midrange load with 240gr SWC will move pins nicely off a table.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master

The less information I have the better I can give you a proper answer.
    How far away will the competitors be standing when you shoot at them ?
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    The less information I have the better I can give you a proper answer.
    How far away will the competitors be standing when you shoot at them ?
    I think after the first shot or two they will be moving in a random fashion. Maybe a shotgun loaded appropriately.

Boolit Grand Master
    What distances. I'm not familiar anymore with the exact size if the various silhouette targets.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Oh geez! No one is shooting AT the competitors!!!

I was talking about the reaction when they hear the BANG and see the fire shooting out of the barrrel (and possibly knocking over the targets) when shooting at the targets!

The comp is all steel targets the pistol portion is about 15-20 yards and is 6 shots / course. It's not a sanctioned comp at all it's kind of a little club of folks that like to spend their Saturday morning plinking targets and bullsh*tting.

It's all for pins and bragging rights.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    44Blam, well, punctuation matters :P (And better folks think us a smart donkey than a dumb one?) Bad humor is an art form

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    44Blam, well, punctuation matters :P (And better folks think us a smart donkey than a dumb one?) Bad humor is an art form
    It's the whole:
    Let's eat, grandma.
    Vs
    Let's eat grandma.

Oh lord, I'm slow....

"What should I shoot at the competition?"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast