Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingPBcastcoLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Sleeping boolets

Boolit Grand Master

Sleeping boolets

I'm sure boolets standing at attention, are better that sleeping boolets when cooking.
    Does it make that much of a difference????
    Has anyone figured a way to keep then standing????

Boolit Master
    I always stand them on their base on a toaster oven tray. Works better with pistol bullets than rifle bullets but still possible with 200 grain 30 caliber bullets.

Boolit Master
    I've gone from carefully standing them to just dumping them on metal drawer dividers- I've not been able to find any accuracy difference and there is no appreciable leading either way.
    Loren

Boolit Master
    I stand them up since I use the electronic spray gun to apply the powder coat. This works best for me since I coat several thousand bullets over a few days.

Boolit Buddy
    I tried standing them up before. I didn't notice any improvement in the quality of the coating over the dump and bake method I normally do.

Boolit Grand Master
    i was thinking of trying to put the on a screen, to minimize contact.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    I'm sure boolets standing at attention, are better that sleeping boolets when cooking.
    Does it make that much of a difference????
    Has anyone figured a way to keep then standing????
    For powder coat, I wouldn't know, but it doesn't matter for HiTek.

Boolit Master

made a couple of wire baskets to fit my oven

after separating the PC and ASBBs from bullets in colander I gently pour the bullets into the baskets

excess powder goes through to catch-tray below

seems to be no detrimental effects doing it this way
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Well if you want lazy boolits that may or maynot hit the target laying down is not so bad but if expect more out of you boolits i would want them standing up waiting for direction. lol sorry could not help myself I find little difference on the small stuff guys that reach out there 1000 yards well that is another story.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

I always stand mine up, on 30 cal. I use fender washers to help hold them in place.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I like my boolits to look good so they get stood up. I had a couple that fell over when baking the other day. They had PC build up on them where they laid. I wouldn't trust them for rifle accuracy but shooting 25 yards in a pistol I'm sure they would be minute of pop can. I cull the ones that fall over or use them for a fowler shot. It seems like Everyone is in a hurry to get things done just like in the rifle industry and like always quality suffers and then you wonder why your groups open up.

Banned
    Sleeping boolits aren't bad if you are using decent PC and remove all the excess before baking.

Yes, I do have some popular pc that doesn't do so well sleeping, they/it leave bare spots where the boolits touch each other, not so much of a problem where they touch the basket.

SOMETIMES You can blend some poorer working PC with a better pc to get better results.

Boolit Master
    I tried the screen wire dump when I first started PC back in 2012. I could easily see I was purposefully making bullets that were not evenly coated, had dings, bare spots and non-flat bases, just to save a few minutes, to do what?

I shot in competition for 7 years and still have my NRA Master International Rifle Card, so accuracy for me is ingrained. I couldn't get past the imperfections in the dumped bullets when I knew I could do better. Since shooting is my hobby I don't count the extra time to make a bullet as perfect as I can. I can cast, coat & size more handgun bullets in a weekend than I will shoot for a long time. As far as what a visually imperfect handgun bullet will do accuracy wise I really don't know or care, but I do know my PC handgun bullets in either 9mm or 45 out of a Ransom Rest will consistently group under 1.5" at 25 yards. As far as using the dump method for rifle bullets, I wouldn't even bother to load them as I can guarantee a shotgun would be as accurate.

But you have to understand this opinion comes from an old man who has always always believed that a round sent down range with no anticipation of accuracy is a round wasted and that sights on a firearm have a purpose.

Boolit Grand Master
    So how would you keep 6.5mm Boolets stand up????
    I have hard enough time keeping 30 cal 115 gr standing up.
    I've thought of making a screen that would be raised up, so the boolets could be dropped in the holes.
    They might still touch, in one spot, on one side.

Boolit Master
    In all my years I have learned one thing and that is people are far from perfect, when you can take out the human element you can get closer.

As far as standing up and shooting, been there and done that.
    Attachment 225350
    Last edited by osteodoc08; 03-04-2020 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Thread cleanup

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    So how would you keep 6.5mm Boolets stand up????
    I have hard enough time keeping 30 cal 115 gr standing up.
    I've thought of making a screen that would be raised up, so the boolets could be dropped in the holes.
    They might still touch, in one spot, on one side.
    If you want to stand up bullets you need to start off with a flat surface. I covered my oven's wire racks with roofing flashing for this purpose. Or you can use aluminum baking trays. On the flat surface cover it with a silicone cooking mat; the bullets do not slide on the silicone like they do on foil or parchment. I introduced silicon cooking mats to this site years ago and I have found no better surface to cook bullets on.

Use self closing tweezers with the tips dipped into powder to pick up the bullets. The tweezers lock on the bullet so you can maneuver it and pack them in close. A wire grid cooking rack can be used as a help aid if you need it. I can stand up 22's, a little more frustrating, but it can be done.

In Remembrance

See my thread posted above in this genre "Standing Tall Boolits"............it may give you some ideas.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Boolit Grand Master
    Screen trick looks good.
    Now to find the screen.

Boolit Master
    Indeed the grid of the hardware cloth does a good job. I ended up affixing a piece if hardwire cloth to an angle iron frame I tacked together so I could pull the wire tight. I wanted a large enough piece to fit a half size aluminum sheet baking pan. I also found stainless steel wire baking grids to fit these pans from Amazon that work well to support smaller diameters.

Boolit Grand Master
    Followed the suggestion to use a screen to keep them standing.
    It worked like a charm.
    I used screws to hold the screen up, so I could adjust it to fit the boolets.
    If they touch the screen, I want it to touch above the riding surface.
    These are about the shortest boolets I'm going to coat, and it worked out great.
    After baking, I remover the tray and removed the screen while still hot.
    I was hoping with the coating still soft, it might cover up any bare spots from touching the screen.
    Looking at them, I don't see any bare spots from the screen.
    Looks like another problem solved.