Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Annealing brass?

I got some 30-30 cases that started to split on me I do not know how many times they where used. but after I anneal them it took care of the problem with split. I also do to other rifle brass also.I do not get it close to red just a straw color.Then drop in water. I just set it up on some flat steel and have it over something that have the water on it and push it in it after it is up to color.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Bub
    Does anyone anneal 458 socom? From what i read so far no one does, i'm sure some people do

George
    Last edited by jungleman9941; 08-11-2018 at 10:56 AM.

Boolit Master

OP - the voodoo does cross over. Think of the case as a gasket to seal the breach. The more consistently it blows out to seal, the more consistent will be what blows out the front end (bullet). Just for example: if your 6BR is operating at 45,000->50,000 psi and your 38-55 is around 25,000 psi, the same brass imperfections will have about twice the affect on the 38-55. A certain amount of energy is consumed in blowing out the gasket to seal ( your brass). What's left over goes into the bullet.
    I just use that as an example to try to illustrate a point. The math guys will jump in and have a field day with this, such as bullet mass, velocity, etc. , blah blah.

But I can tell you from experience it all matters. You might get 300-400 cases to start, and after fire forming, de-burring primer holes, trimming to length, measuring bases, measuring rims ( dia. and thickness), weight segregating, you'll maybe get 100 first rate cases ( maybe!)
    Then you can anneal.
    I think the real trick is to know when which voodoo is needed.

BTW- where was that article on concentric loads?

Boolit Master

I'll have to dig through some old magazines later and if I find it I can email or better yet text pictures if that works for you. Way easier that way.

Boolit Master

I found the article. PM me your email or phone number and I’ll send it along.
    Some cool test results for sure.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    How many of you do it? Is it worth it?
    I understand the extending brass life and there is lots of talk about consistent neck tension which help accuracy.
    Seems like I’ve read most of these test on modern bottleneck benchrest or hunting high velocity cartridges.
    What about the old straight walled beauties?
    Is it worth it in 45/70?
    Does it really help groups. I read a great article in a magazine discussing concentricity with some test results in the 45/70 and they were awesome.
    I guess I just don’t always think of the tricks and voodoo bechrest shooters use on 6BR would cross over to 38-55
    Thanks!
    Starline advises annealing their new 45/70 brass before firing , I assume they know what their talking about so that"s what I do . It does seal off gas leakage as my brass no longer gets BP fouling /Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Starline advises annealing their new 45/70 brass before firing , I assume they know what their talking about so that"s what I do . It does seal off gas leakage as my brass no longer gets BP fouling /Ed
    Actually Starline does anneal their brass, and "suggests" their brass might need annealing if loaded with black powder due to the low chamber pressures of BP.

"When loading with black powder, annealing of mouth may be necessary to allow case to properly seal chamber due to lower pressures generated by these loads."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12