MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A 1911 and a replacement barrel

Boolit Master
    I'm with Char Gar on this one, I have seen many mix and match 1911's with a wide variety of barrels installed, and swapped between guns. I've never seen a lug shorn off. I think the engagement would need to be way out of spec for this to happen. I'm not saying it never happens, but it must be fairly rare if I haven't heard of a case. The more typical issue is a hiccup in function caused by lugs binding due to different length links having been installed, that is something I've seen a few times.

I got the barrel back from DougGuy and took it to the range today. All the problems are now gone. I ran over 100 rounds of various SWC and hollow point ammo through the pistol without a single hiccup of any kind.
    Accuracy is at least as good as it was before. I say that because I was having a good day shooting this morning and without another trip or two with the same results, I can't say for sure the accuracy has improved. It was certainly shooting better today than before.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I got the barrel back from DougGuy and took it to the range today. All the problems are now gone. I ran over 100 rounds of various SWC and hollow point ammo through the pistol without a single hiccup of any kind.
    Accuracy is at least as good as it was before. I say that because I was having a good day shooting this morning and without another trip or two with the same results, I can't say for sure the accuracy has improved. It was certainly shooting better today than before.
    When DougGuy gets through with a 1911 barrel, it will shot anything that will feed through the magazine. I have been shooting 452423 though the 45 Auto for quite some time and it has never been 100% when seated to the original Colt barrels throat. After DougGuy it can be seated out and the change in length has made all the difference in feeding. My loads are now as reliable as shooting ball ammo. Here is a pic illustrating the change in length.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1315.jpg  
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I haven't played with seating depth yet since things are working well as they are. If they continue to work well, I won't change anything under the premise, if it isn't broken, don't fix it.
    I have noticed with other cartridges(9mm) in my 1911 pistols that they do like longer cartridges for proper feeding.
    I tried some shorter, stubbier boolits in my 9mm Range Officer(Lee 358-125-rf) and they simply would not feed. They never even got into the barrel so the chamber throat was never an issue. Those same cartridges feed without issue in my other pistols.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    When DougGuy gets through with a 1911 barrel, it will shot anything that will feed through the magazine. I have been shooting 452423 though the 45 Auto for quite some time and it has never been 100% when seated to the original Colt barrels throat. After DougGuy it can be seated out and the change in length has made all the difference in feeding. My loads are now as reliable as shooting ball ammo. Here is a pic illustrating the change in length.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Char-Gar452423.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	225964

Thank you Char-Gar. I shoot the same 452423 in my Government and Commander models, sized .452" I also use a HP design of the same boolit which also feeds like hardball.

I remember a long thread or maybe two started by Bigslug a couple of years back describing in great detail his efforts at using the 452423 in a 1911 and it was a long drawn out frustrating process that he went through before giving up on the boolit itself. I don't think he was aware of my services at the time and we did speak about it later but I am not sure he ever revisited the project or had a barrel throated to use the452423.

Accuracy is at it's very best when the boolit will enter the throat and be held concentric with the bore by the freebore. This effectively centers the chambered round in the chamber and the bore, provided the throat and the boolit are a snug fit, boolit sized .0005" under throat diameter. Properly throated, a 1911 should be able to feed any conventional boolit style or length that will cycle through the magazine.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12