Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to me H&R HandiRifle

Banned

New to me H&R HandiRifle

I just bought a H&R HandiRifle in 45/70. It has a red dot sight with a 22" barrel. It came with 2 boxes of hand load cartridges. The seller said that he loaded 450 rounds and then sold the reloading stuff. He now has a Henry lever in 45/70. I asked what kind of powder he used in the loads. He said IMR but couldn't remember which IMR. The box says 48 grains on it. I looked it up and found that this would be a very "stiff" load. I don't want a stiff load and I hesitate to shoot unknown loads anyway. These cartridges have a slight bulge where the bottom of the boolit is...405 grain lead store bought boolits. I plan on pulling at least a few if not all of these bullets. It looks like these would be pretty hard to pull. I paid $200 for the whole rig. It looks in very good condition. Any advise on the cartridges or anything else. I am not wanting mule kicking recoil...this is a light gun.

Boolit Master

My handi likes 10-15 grains unique with a 405 gr bullet. Pleasure to shoot and accurate to boot.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Master

Good deal on the gun. Pull the bullets, I wouldn't shoot anyone's reloads unless I knew them. At 405 grains a kinetic bullet puller will pop those right out. I'd even deprime the brass so you know what you are reloading. Great caliber to shoot you will have fun.

I would pull them, I don't think I'd deprime the brass. I'd probably shoot them up with light plinking loads.

If it was me I would pull a few, weigh powder charges. Maybe take a guess at what powder it is.

Could always drop the powder charge 10-15% and try one, see how it feels and shoots.

For me I would pull all of them since I do not know the powder and then use data I know with the same primers that are in and then use some primers I have on hand and see if there is a different in the way the gun shoots and go from there of what to do and use the powder it was loaded with for what you see fit for.but I would not use it as it is.Since un know of kind of powder.Also do like what GhostHawk stated.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    ***Pull down all the cartridges***

The seller couldn't even give you a straight answer on the powder used is a HUGE red flag for me.

You did well on the buy!

15gr. Unique will treat you very well.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

In Remembrance

I second the opinion to pull down the cartridges with unknown powder. For the Handi-Rifle in .45-70, powders like 5744, 4198, and 3031 work great with cast boolits weighing from 300 to 450 grains. My Handi-.45-70 likes .460" boolits and leads like crazy with anything smaller regardless of lube or hardness. The Handi is pretty light for a heavy boolit rifle like the .45-70 so some extra weight helps with accuracy. I put a one pound lead weight in the butt stock bolt hole to help tame the recoil. This made the rifle a lot more fun to shoot and reduced my tendency to flinch in anticipation which improved my accuracy.

Boolit Master

same same.
    good deal on rifle.
    absolutely recycle the cartridges rather than shoot them.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Master

With a large case capacity of the 45-70 you need to be very careful of powder charge and powder type. I had a customer try a light load of RX7 and it blew the gun up. This is called detonation and can happen when there is to much air space with slow burning powders. This does not happen with light loads of unique. If you don't know the powder it is best to dump it. I have seen more than a few guns ruined by the wrong powder/ load.

Boolit Master
    Dump the powder in the flower bed, trying to save it is penny wise and pound foolish. I do not pull primers that look to be properly seated, depriming live primers is not without its risks. I do weigh and reuse the bullets. You did very well on the gun.

Banned
    Well I pulled one to start. It came apart easily with the kinetic puller. The boolit looks like I can use it again. It is 405 grain .4570" which is probably a good candidate for a thick coat of powder coat and reload. The amount of powder is indeed 48 grains. I sure wish I could tell what kind it is. I have NO experience with different powders. The only other powder I have ever dealt with is Hodgdon HS-6. I am including pictures of the powder IN CASE it is identifiable and can be distinguished from other IMR powders. I am a cheap skate and will reuse this powder. If you can help identify it please help. The 22lr boolit is there for reference:
    Attachment 225183Attachment 225184Attachment 225185

Banned
    OK, wow I found a place to identify powders. This is the result:
    Attachment 225187

Boolit Master
    I have owned one purchased new many moons ago, being a whole lot younger and let's say a little less wise. I do know that using Marlin load data from a Hornady manual will bring truth to your life. 300 XTP in front of 54. gr. of 3031 will make a lasting impression, it has probably been fifteen years and I still remember the load. I have and still shoot a lot of big boomers but there is something special in this one. Just make sure your dental work is well or take them out and set them on bench till your done.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    I have owned one purchased new many moons ago, being a whole lot younger and let's say a little less wise. I do know that using Marlin load data from a Hornady manual will bring truth to your life. 300 XTP in front of 54. gr. of 3031 will make a lasting impression, it has probably been fifteen years and I still remember the load. I have and still shoot a lot of big boomers but there is something special in this one. Just make sure your dental work is well or take them out and set them on bench till your done.
    I had until I got this, sworn off the mule kicking stuff. Nothing but 22lr for me lately. I have a 16 ga with some slugs that I shot last year. 3 shots and I put it away. Enough Already! I probably won't shoot more than one of these strong loads unless I take them deer hunting. I plan on getting some lighter boolits and loading some nice light plinking loads for this thing..

Banned

mouse fart .45-70 loads for the grandkids - 14 grains of trail boss under a lee 340 grain lubed bullet that's cast with 1:30 alloy.

I'm danger mouse as they come and I would throw away that powder. I'm with the leave them primed group. The correct charge of Unique and learn the gun and have fun at the same time. Save the kickers for someday if you think you need them. I had a 45-70 Shikari and it was a great gun. Used to ring a 2" vent pipe at a spillway from 200 yds sitting with slow 405 grs!

Boolit Master

YOU CANT GUESS WHAT THE POWDER IS BASED ON WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE!!!!! Unless you want to disassemble your gun, face and hands. Just put it on the plants outside and get on with life. We are all thrifty, that's why we reload, but don't be so cheep that you risk. Just my 2 cents.

Boolit Master

10.5 grains of Unique with a 340 or 378 grain boolit will give ya right at 1100 fps least it did in an original 86 and Remington RB.

Pleasant to shoot too.

The 15 grain loads mentioned should put ya at 1500-1600 fps I'm guessing.

A lot of mine show the bulge at the boolit base also.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    YOU CANT GUESS WHAT THE POWDER IS BASED ON WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE!!!!! Unless you want to disassemble your gun, face and hands. Just put it on the plants outside and get on with life. We are all thrifty, that's why we reload, but don't be so cheep that you risk. Just my 2 cents.
    After comparing it to these powders on this website, there is no doubt which powder it is IMR 4320...
    http://www.ilrc.ucf.edu/powders/search.php

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    10.5 grains of Unique with a 340 or 378 grain boolit will give ya right at 1100 fps least it did in an original 86 and Remington RB.

Pleasant to shoot too.

The 15 grain loads mentioned should put ya at 1500-1600 fps I'm guessing.

A lot of mine show the bulge at the boolit base also.
    I like the idea of going with 1100 fps. I have found with loading 22lr, that subsonic loads are far more pleasant and shoot straighter to boot. I think a big slug from this thing going 1100 fps is plenty of power, even for hunting deer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast