Titan ReloadingInline FabricationStainLess Steel MediaGraf & Sons
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2

Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 6000 USD, Received: 4840 USD (81%)
We have reached our goal! Thanks to all who donated! I will be updating the donation bar in the next few days!
Our Annual server fund drive is going on now! This donation drive helps fund Cast Boolits for an entire year, and helps support our 2nd amendment rights! You can donate by Paypal by clicking the DONATE button. Or by Cash / Check / MO to the address below:

Willy Snyder
PO Box 2732
Pocatello, ID 83206
****Due to overwhelming e-mails, I will be very slow in updating this list. Please bear with me!****

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to me H&R HandiRifle

Boolit Master
    Pull them bullets and dump the powder safely outside in a hole, water it in. With that rifle, pull that sight off, get some cowboy loads, and have fun on the range, deer hunting, hog hunting, etc. 45-70 don't need souped up, and lemme tell you the H&Rs shoot it good, but you gonna feel every extra ounce of omph a round has in it.

God Bless, and One Love.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Master
    One effective way to prevent re-use of unknown powder is to dissolve the unknown powder in just enough Acetone to make a thick paste. An ice cube sized blob of that's sorta fun to toss in a camp fire, burns rather hot but not really a good fire starter (for that it'd need to burn slower...) I don't usually have a garden in my current living situation so this prevents someone being an idiot

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    After comparing it to these powders on this website, there is no doubt which powder it is IMR 4320...
    http://www.ilrc.ucf.edu/powders/search.php
    I think that youíre most likely right about which powder it is, but you donít know how meticulous the reloaded was and thatís a pretty stout load relative to what you want anyway. Odds are 99.9% that youíll be just fine, but there is a slight chance that youíll lose an eye, or worse, and for what to save $10 in powder?

Know a guy that reloaded a bunch of pistol rounds, took a break, then loaded some .308 on the same press. Heíd run the powder measure down when loading pistol, it was the end of a can so heíd thrown it away, and ultimately he forgot to dump the last little bit that was down in the mechanism before he poured in his rifle powder. He didnít notice it when checking his charge weight, but his brain just happened to note that the powder looked wrong as he was setting rifle bullets. Things happen.

Besides, I donít like the look of the coating on the bullet, that it peeled off when you took it apart is not great, and I donít like the crimp on the cartridge.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do, but if you do decide to shoot some of these please take video just in case something exciting happens.

Boolit Master
    @JimB...
    Thanks Jim,
    I do not want a stout load. Had a friend run this load through:
    Quickload Predicted Ballistics for a 22” Barrel

400 gr LRF / 48.0 gr IMR 4320 / 2.550 OAL

25564 psi / 1621 fps / 2333 ft-lb / 78.3% Burn / 92.7% Fill
    I am a cheapskate! I will reuse this powder! I may even reuse the boolits BUT, thinking about turning hollow bases into them on the lathe to make them lighter...Maybe in the 300 to 320 grain range. Then work up a load with IMR 4320 for that to give me about 1100 FPS (might as well keep it subsonic) That should still be plenty of punch for deer at 100 yards. I know a lot of people are aghast at my bold and daring approach. YUP, that's me, livin on the edge.
    AKA hans.pcguy

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    @JimB...
    Thanks Jim,
    I do not want a stout load. Had a friend run this load through:
    Quickload Predicted Ballistics for a 22” Barrel

400 gr LRF / 48.0 gr IMR 4320 / 2.550 OAL

25564 psi / 1621 fps / 2333 ft-lb / 78.3% Burn / 92.7% Fill
    I am a cheapskate! I will reuse this powder! I may even reuse the boolits BUT, thinking about turning hollow bases into them on the lathe to make them lighter...Maybe in the 300 to 320 grain range. Then work up a load with IMR 4320 for that to give me about 1100 FPS (might as well keep it subsonic) That should still be plenty of punch for deer at 100 yards. I know a lot of people are aghast at my bold and daring approach. YUP, that's me, livin on the edge.
    Look into the 320g .460 mold from miha, or if your gun likes .458 give the 320g Lazer-cast bullets a try. I haven’t looked, but you’ll want to model the lighter bullet over IMR4320, pressure will be less and burn rate might really suck.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Look into the 320g .460 mold from miha, or if your gun likes .458 give the 320g Lazer-cast bullets a try. I haven’t looked, but you’ll want to model the lighter bullet over IMR4320, pressure will be less and burn rate might really suck.
    yeah, the burn rate is already questionable. ...Oh Well
    AKA hans.pcguy

Boolit Master
    Have a Handi-Rifle in 45-70 shoot it a lot with light bullets and Trail Boss powder.
    The load does not kick much and is accurate out to 100 yards. Have Williams peep sights on the rifle, the rear sight has a lot of adjustment to get on target at different ranges.
    Trail Boss powder works well with the 45-70 cartridge.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12