Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyStainLess Steel MediaGraf & SonsWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which magnum springer cal. 22?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    RWS 54 Air King. Admittedly a booger to cock, 39 lbs or so I think, but with the recoiless action, it is not hold sensitive. Mine chronographs 895fps with Crosman premier HP pellets, is very accurate and will consistently kill feral pigeons at up to 50 yards. Beyond that I don't shoot so well. HEAVY and BIG but a real joy to shoot because of the power, accuracy and lack of recoil. Because of the size and weight, (and my age which is another story), it works best for me off a rest.

Next choice is the RWS 460. Mine really likes the GAMO Hunter pellet. Not quite as hard to cock as the 54 but certainly takes a bit of effort and is just as fast as the 54. My Grandson shot a prairie dog through the head, side to side, at 42 yards. I saw the dust fly on the far side and we looked for the pellet but could not find it. I would have liker to see how it survived the trip through the pd skull.
    Thank you all, especially you Sir! Your input helped me to make right decision.

Considering everything, I think that RWS 460 is optimum for my needs.
    Last edited by Onty; 08-19-2018 at 01:20 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Had a chance to handle Diana 350 and 460. Here in my area prices are close, but for me, 460 is the way to go; fixed barrel, easier to cock, just better rifle.

Now, since I am not spring chicken, I need a nice scope for my future 460. Decades back I was listening "experts", and being myself in phase "bigger, larger, faster" when getting my first scope for a Mauser rifle, and being student, on budget, I purchased one 6x40 scope. Big mistake, just too much power on closer ranges than 150 m. These days, if scope does not have lower setting at least 3x, I am not interested.

In that respect I would need advice for air rifle scope. From what I understand, standard scopes for high power rifle are no-no on air rifles. Any suggestion for something 2x-3x lower setting, and up to 40-42 mm lens? I am for "the best bang for the buck", definitely not for something cheap, that will last just one season.

Boolit Master
    At the risk of being considered as hogging this thread, I would suggest the BSA 3-12x44 Essential Air Gun Scope. They also make a 3-9x40 but I have no experience with it so cannot comment on it. As I understand it, RWS scopes are just rebranded BSAs.

This is what I have on my 460 and it, as far as I'm concerned, is a great value for the money. Admittedly it is a bit bulky but for some of the tiny targets that an air rifle can be used for, at the higher power it sure helps with my aging eyes. It is, of course AO from 10 yards or so, to infinity. Also, the target turrets are handy if you like to switch around with different pellets for various purposes. I have probably 20+ different pellets that I can test each new rifle with and choose the best for it. Then I very seldom change anything. However since I have several very different rifles, (all springers) I just use the appropriate rifle and pellet combination for my needs at the moment.
    Liberals don't know they're stupid in the same way a fish does not know it is wet. It is just their natural state of being.

I have several BSA 3x9 x40 bought them about 10 years ago . They out lasted my springers and are now used on my PCP . GL with the springer .Marvin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12