WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A "Case dynamics" question

Boolit Master
    If I wanted to have "perfect" tooling made for one specific rifle, a custom sizer die that put the case back to the absolute optimum OD along the full length would be great.

If you have a typical full length sizer, it needs to size brass such that your reloads will have a normal fit (0.002" clearance is typical minimum I think) in a chamber at SAAMI minimum. If you do not have a minimum spec chamber, you are sizing more than needed. If you have a "loose" chamber you may be sizing a lot more than "optimum" for your gun. A "min spec" round rattling around in a "loose fit" chamber certainly is not anthing that I would ask for when striving for accuracy.

If you are a competitive shooter, you know what you are doing, you do not want excessive working on your brass (and resultant loose fit ammo) and you do not want to neck size, you get guns with min spec chambers. This solution works for those that know what they are doing. This solution eliminates any need to keep track of when full length sizing might be needed.

Custom dies or min spec chambers are not "viable options" for the vast majority of typical rifle reloaders. If you find that neck sizing works better than full sizing, there is is probably a good reason for the better results. It really is a less than optimum solution for most, but again "optimum" is not necessarily reasonable or justifiable.

All the rant in the world along the lines of "I do not neck size, so nobody should" is just a bunch of hot air.

Boolit Master
    OK-- so about 1 year ago I was at the range and a guy came in with a 30-06. His cases were sticking and he was hitting the bolt to get them to chamber. He finally got a round stuck so tight in the chamber that he could not close the bolt enough to fire the round, and could not extract it either. They were reloads. Talking to him I discovered that they had only been neck sized, but had been reloaded by his dad some years ago. I asked him if this was his dad's rifle. he said "No-- its a new one-- does that matter??"

Maybe the guy in the u-tube video missed the part about neck sizing only the brass for that specific rifle.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    -shudder- Nope Nope Nope, that'd be one each BAD idea.

Like anything, there are certain rules and guidelines that must be followed for success in any such process.

Failure to do so, will result in failure. As it should.

A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

And short cuts are not short.

That being said while I have not gone out and looked for neck sizing dies for myself.
    I have reloaded some brass without sizing at all. But it went back to the gun it was fired in.

I don't see neck sizing as being inherently dangerous. I just don't happen to have a rifle that needs it.

Boolit Master

Neck sizing... best thing since sliced bread. I shoot a 6mm/284 and inside and outside turn the necks since the chamber is a very tight bench rest chamber. I use the Redding dies with the carbide inserts for a very exact sizing. This process really makes for an accurate round, less brass stress and longer case life. I neck size for all of my bolt guns, if I have 2 guns in the same caliber I keep the brass separate for them and size to their needs. I FL or SBFL for semi-autos depending upon which gun it is and what the chamber is like. Have been using this method for close to 30 years now and will until I die or quit reloading.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    ... Oval... Chambers ... -goggles a bit- The words "That is just so WRONG!" come to mind!
    All I can say is "Sheesh" shaking my head, OK an out of round chamber. And I am usually the one pointing out those little fopahs. LOL

Boolit Grand Master

My reply, #11, was mostly about bashing YouTube. Sorry about that! Most reloaders understand that if you choose to neck size that the case that you reload needs to have been fired in the rifle that you are loading for. I've played with neck sizing on and off over the years and really can't see any advantage over full length sizing for use in a hunting rifle. I've found that the primer pocket usually get loose before the cases split and when the cases develop splits that its usually in the neck.

Like mattw above, my match rifle is a 6.5-284 with a tight neck and I run a minimum neck wall clearance. I have to turn the case necks to fit. I can almost load the fired case without sizing the neck. I use bushing dies and the cases last almost forever.

I'll never discourage anyone from trying new stuff so if you want to try neck sizing go ahead. I've just not seen any advantage in hunting rifles. The theory about neck sizing is sound, it just does not show up in my group sizes.

Boolit Grand Master

One needs a well functioning BS Filter to view any youtube videos concerning anything about shooting/reloading/casting
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    And yet another reason to ignore youtube reloading/shooting/casting videos...

I neck size for my Ruger 308 (in which I use a lot of LC brass, F/L sized first reload). In my experience I can get a few reloads just neck sizing and then a F/L sizing is needed to get the other case dimensions back in line (stiff chambering). I am not a bench rest shooter and a fair to mediocre rifleman and with my handloads the best I can get is 7/8", occasionally, at about 100, of which I am delighted when that happens. My 308 is the only rifle I reload for that I go to the "extra" processes and neck sizing is one, but I don't have any "plain old reloads" to compare...

This post really explains what I think nobody is getting. Sure you can neck size but after a few reloads you have to full length size. So I think the point is that it is much more consistent to always full length size instead of having 3 neck sized loads then a full length sized load that may shoot differently.

I used to believe in the neck sizing also but then I just thought about it some and realized it was stupid a I did have to full length size after a few reloads.

Also I believe that guy is into prs type stuff so there’s no time for aligning a dot on the back of a case or even hand feeding.

Boolit Master
    Whether or not you will need to full length size depends a lot on how hot you load. Both my 30-30 and 32WS (Winchester 94's) have over a dozen reloads neck sizing only and the cases will slide into the chamber with nothing but light finger pressure. My M1 brass (30-06) is up to 8 reloads neck sized only with the same result. But-- I have a couple of pins in my shoulder and don't load to factory levels.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    Whether or not you will need to full length size depends a lot on how hot you load. Both my 30-30 and 32WS (Winchester 94's) have over a dozen reloads neck sizing only and the cases will slide into the chamber with nothing but light finger pressure. My M1 brass (30-06) is up to 8 reloads neck sized only with the same result. But-- I have a couple of pins in my shoulder and don't load to factory levels.

True in your situation but not so on my .308 and .243s

The guy is a match shooter trying to get ultra reliable ultra hot rounds down range fast.

Boolit Master
    My match single shots have never had a round full length sized. They were fire formed and then neck sized. After that, they have never had anything except neck sizing and most of them only get about 2/3rds of the neck sized. I still use the same brass that was bought when I bought the guns. MANY reloads later.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    It does help if you get say 3000 rounds for a .243 varmint rifle, the reloading cycles take a while longer

Boolit Master
    Cousin has a 300 WSM bolt gun that will chamber a neck sized round just fine, but won't cycle them from the magazine to the chamber. Needs to be FL sized to make the trip.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12