MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2ADvertise here
StainLess Steel MediaInline FabricationGraf & SonsTitan Reloading

Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 6000 USD, Received: 4840 USD (81%)
We have reached our goal! Thanks to all who donated! I will be updating the donation bar in the next few days!
Our Annual server fund drive is going on now! This donation drive helps fund Cast Boolits for an entire year, and helps support our 2nd amendment rights! You can donate by Paypal by clicking the DONATE button. Or by Cash / Check / MO to the address below:

Willy Snyder
PO Box 2732
Pocatello, ID 83206
****Due to overwhelming e-mails, I will be very slow in updating this list. Please bear with me!****

Thread: Some observations.

Boolit Master

Some observations.

Saturday I had another shoot and I am starting to notice pattern. Seems like the ammo with a little less neck tension are shooting very well. This was the 2nd shoot in a row where I cleaned the sticks and the bullets were seated in such a way that they would slide in and out of the case very easy. Every once in a while the case would fall off from the projectile when I picked it up but that wasnt a big deal at all. I have been using a .473 bushing in my neck sizer but here lately I have been using the .474. I guess I will keep using this and see what happens. I have another shoot in 2 weeks at friendship. I can hardly wait.
    Last edited by ian45662; 08-06-2018 at 05:35 AM.

Boolit Master

years ago jerry hartwig, a west coast bpcr master and champ, told me that the best neck tension was none. i think he was on to something. however, i do need at least a bit of neck tension with a bore riding PPB, else it can literally fall off whilst in the chamber. with an ever-so-slight slight taper crimp, the PPB can rotate in the case and with little effort get pulled out. but i'd rather there be zero neck tension. dunno how that can happen unless the PPB wasn't bore riding and the ogive engraved the rifling.

Boolit Master
    I wonder if you could put a tiny tiny dot of Elmer's Glue in there or something - Some adhesive that would evaporate when the round was fired? I haven't tried zero neck tension - ever. Yet. Interesting.

Boolit Master

I shoot zero neck tension on my rounds also. I use a Meacham bushing die for neck sizing only and several bushing in .001 increments and a couple polished out to .0005 increments. Heres a formula to give you an idea of what bushing to use. neck wall thickness X 2 + measured bullet dia = loaded neck dia. For zero tension I had .001 to this to start. I also have tested at .0005 step.

I normally prime fired cleaned cases powder them and wad compress to depth add rest of wad stack and hand seat bullet the size neck around bullet to set neck tension. My PP bullets are .449-.450 wrapped in Seth Cole paper. Bushing in sizer die is around .4695 size. this normally allows the case to be picked up and bullet stays in place. With grease grooved bullets the bushings changed out to a larger size since they are groove dia plus .001 or .002. One thing I like on the Meacham die is the cap is pass thry so a round with bullet seated can be neck sized easily.

One thing I did try was a very light wipe of spg on the wrapped bullet this did seem to help hold the bullet in the case some with loght to no tension loads if the no tension wasn't sloppy

Boolit Master

Some observations.

I have always seated the Bullet after I have sized the mouth. I wait until I get to the range to seat my projectiles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Actually looks like I will be going to a 2 day shoot in Alma this weekend. Anyone else gonna be there?

Boolit Master
    Well **** that didnít go as well as o had hoped it would. Missed 5 lay downs on each day. I am still pretty happy with the way these looser bullets are shooting in-spite of my poor performance.