Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Henry Single Shot Initial Impressions

Boolit Mold
    I ordered ten 31# springs from Grainger. Once they arrive, and I have checked their utility, I can let the forum members know. As I will only have a need for one, I will have nine to get rid of. Thanks to mega super magnum for pointing me in the right direction.

GS

Banned

Henry single shot H015 rifle trigger/hammer fix springs available at cost + shipping here ....

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ger-hammer-FIX

Boolit Buddy

One more follow up comment.....I sent my H015-44 back to Henry twice and the second time they returned it with a trigger that was still a little too heavy but had virtually no creep. I got a spring set from Megasupermagnum and put it the 31 lb. large spring and left the small spring in also. The results were pretty decent...maybe still a bit too too heavy but much more shootable.

So....today I pulled out the small spring and went to the range with just the 31 lb. spring in place. I had one mis-fire (light primer hit) and trigger behaved differently...acted like a two stage with a slight catch before release. Hammer fall was noticeably more sluggish.

So...in my rifle anyway...I'm convinced that just the 31 lb. spring in there is not going to work and I just re-installed the small spring along with it. I'm no gunsmith or design engineer but am convinced the small spring gives the hammer a little extra boot in the backside to get things going. Maybe a trigger/sear that had been slicked up wouldn't have had any problem. I dunno. The bottom line for me is this rifle is day and night better with the 31 lb. and small spring than it was as delivered.

It was crispy cold this morning in Wis and I need confidence that there won't be a misfire during deer season. Whitetail load is a 320 lbt LFNGC over enough 2400 to get a little over 1300 fps and near ragged hole groups at 50 yards.

FWIW This is my experience thus far with about 420 total rounds fired.

Banned

doghawg, i think there's always gonna be some variables to all guns. in addition, in your case, you did the spring swap to a gun that wasn't "factory stock", but after henry "worked on" its trigger in some manner not once but twice. that might just mean something, dunno for sure.

there are two basic ways to quantify just the trigger pull weight alone - scale it or guess it. in my case with my henry .223, though i have an easton digital test scale i didn't bother to measure because the resistance to my trigger finger was on the order of stupendously heavy ... i'd guess well over 6# ... but it broke crisp and clean, with zero creep.

after putting in the 31# spring (alone, no other springs), the pull and break feel quite good (it feels under 4#, but with a Very crisp no-creep break) and will only get better over use. i did some primer-only test firings and all went perfectly. 2 days later i fired off 55 consecutive rounds of varget/sierra 60gr tmk handloads and all were on the money.

i think most, if not all folks are going to get a better trigger/hammer pull by going to the 31# spring. if not, and as you did, add back in the small spring. or experiment with other spring values.

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    when i get them in next week, i'll put a link here to where they'll be listed on our CB classifieds.

i bought the ten pack for three reasons - they're only sold that way, i wanted one spring to keep and use for yet another henry rifle, and to offer them for cheap to everyone that has a henry s/s, because they're all gonna want to fix their guns, for sure.

i paid $30+ for the ten springs and will sell them for $3 each plus shipping. this is not a for-profit thing, it's about helping out others.
    I just (finally) joined this site just to fix my H015 in 308 Remmy. I cannot live with the hard hammer pull.....THANK YOU for finding the solution to this issue. I would like to purchase a spring. I'd be happy to send payment if you let me know where and how much to cover your expenses. This should make this a much better gun! Thanks for your response to my email.

Perhaps I will get better signed in with an avatar and bio in the next few days. I have been a long time lurker here....and find this to be one of the best sites I have been to.

Boolit Buddy

doghawg, i think there's always gonna be some variables to all guns. in addition, in your case, you did the spring swap to a gun that wasn't "factory stock", but after henry "worked on" its trigger in some manner not once but twice. that might just mean something, dunno for sure.
    My Henry was sent to Rice Lake Wis twice. The first trip resulted in a lawyer response and nothing done to the trigger. I e-mailed Anthony and promptly got a shipping label sent to me and a promise from service gal that she would personally follow up on the trigger issue. When it came back the "Internal Service Resolution" said "Replaced trigger guard assembly and checked trigger pull averaged 7 lbs." So I doubt they "worked on" the trigger but merely replaced the assembly, but, in any case, it broke clean and creep free. If it was at that point actually a 7 lb. trigger the original must have been more like 9 lb or so and catchy/creepy.
    Replacing the large spring with the 31 lb. spring from Megasupermagnum and leaving the small spring in resulted in a clean pull that was about 5 lbs. or so and I could finally enjoy shooting this critter. My RCBS gauge only goes to 4 1/2. When I tried it with taking out the inner spring the pull was just over 4 lb. and I had one light primer strike and misfire and it seemed like the lock time was a little more sluggish. I liked the lighter pull but would not trust the rifle for hunting so I put the inner spring back in.
    Even though the pull is a little heavier yet than I like it is for me manageable.

As a "for what it's worth" I counted the rifling lands on the muzzle lube star and the .44 mag has a 12 groove barrel!! And it shoots very well with big bullets (300 XTP and 320 LBT) so the 1-20" twist works good with everything from 200 grain bullets on up to 320 both jacketed or cast.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by doghawg View Post
    Even though the pull is a little heavier yet than I like it is for me manageable.
    and hopefully, over shooting time, it'll smooth out the pull a tad lighter for ya. either that, or perhaps work on polishing the sear.

i sent yet another email in to anthony about henryUSA shooting themselves in the foot by having a really good gun offering that has a serious flaw and explained how people in the know are forced to work on and at least somewhat fix their henry single shot trigger/hammer pulls. i also provided links to all the henry single shot posts here in CB and told him he should read what his customers are saying. he replied that his wisconsin GM would be contacting me. i doubt anything positive will come of all this, but i can hope ....

Boolit Master
    I picked up my 44 Mag yesterday. Bought is from an on-line retailer who shipped it from one of their distribution centers, so no pre-buy pictures were available.

Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but my first impressions are: Hammer pull is heavy but the trigger is not too bad and breaks cleanly, metal finish is nice. The wood finish is about what you would expect from a "modern" rifle but on one side you can see the wood pores. The pores have been filled with the finish and the stock is smooth, but you can see the pores in the wood if you look closely.

I am disappointed in the overall fit of the rifle. There is a gap between the forearm and frame, lots of light showing thru and two thicknesses of cardstock easily slip in. Both the upper and lower tang metal is above the wood on the buttstock. When looking from the top light is easily seen on the left side of the tang. I really question how well the overall fit of the buttstock is to the action. Last is the recoil pad. Some places the wood is proud to the pad and the bottom of the pad does not follow the contour of the buttstock. Not quite as bad as a bubba installed pad but certainly not the quality one would expect from a professional installer. Final gripe I guess, is that no hammer extension is provided.

As noted, I didn't see it before I bought it and I don't think the flaws are worth the hassle of a return (unless the stock cracks when I shoot it!), but had I a chance to look it over before hand I would have put this one back on the rack.

WMMV and hopefully will.

Banned

rusty - call henry and have them pick it up and fix or replace it. there's no excuse why you need to accept a production line lemon.

Banned

new cheaper source for henry h015 fix'em springs (thanx to quicktdoo @ graybeard) - $22.29/shipped for ten .....

https://www.ebay.com/i/273445557456?chn=ps

Boolit Master
    rusty - call henry and have them pick it up and fix or replace it. there's no excuse why you need to accept a production line lemon.
    Henry agreed to a warranty return and it is on it's way back. I know most of my issues were cosmetic, but if I wanted an ugly rifle I would have saved 100+ bucks and bought a CVA Hunter!! We'll see what Henry does.

Boolit Grand Master

I got a chance to get out shooting yesterday. I shot 25 rounds with only the 31# spring, and one shot required a second strike to go off. So that's one misfire in about 45 shots. I know the primer was seated well. I'm going to put the smaller spring back in like doghawg did, and see how that goes.

Banned

be good to hear how the added small spring works for ya, MSM. with the .223/31# spring and my varget/sierra 60 tmk/rem 6-1/2 hand loads i went 55 straight rounds in a row with no misfires. in a few hours i'll see how the 357/31# spring works with my w231/bbi 160 gr/cci 500 hand loads work.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    .... I shot 25 rounds with only the 31# spring, and one shot required a second strike to go off. So that's one misfire in about 45 shots. I know the primer was seated well. ....
    what brand and model primer? what powder?

Banned

back from the range and baptizing the .357 henry s/s. unlike the .223, this gun required me adding back the small hammer spring as 8 out of 10 shots were lite strikes to cci 500 primers with just the 31# trigger spring. easy fix right at the range, took less than 10 minutes and the next 30 rounds were all on the money. haven't checked the increase to the trigger yet, but if anything it didn't add much to the 3# i was getting with just the 31# spring alone.

Boolit Grand Master

what brand and model primer? what powder?
    The load was a Federal #210 large rifle primer, Bluedot powder, with a Lee 309-170-F bullet 2.720" OAL, and runs 1750 fps. Brass was neck sized, so minimal headspace. I did notice my gun strikes primers just off center. I've got a number of 100% reliable guns that don't strike exact center, so I doubt it has any effect. It was only 8 degrees F when I was shooting Sunday. I didn't notice very much increase in the trigger pull from adding the smaller spring.

^ Thanks for your excellent info on this topic (both Mega and RFD have had great info on this issue). The trigger on my Henry H015 breaks cleanly at about 7 lbs......and I could live with a hard trigger like that....but prefer about 1/2 the pull.

What is a big issue to me is the effort required to cock that hammer. I tried to measure it on a scale....but dont have a trigger pull scale that will measure over 12 lbs. My guess is that it requires about 15 to 18 lbs to pull that hammer back on my gun. There is no way that this is safe or even do-able for a young kid or many women to do. Really a sad situation in view of the other qualities of this gun....and other Henry guns I own. I don't want to send it back......I just want to find the solutions. I'm hoping a change in spring(s) and some polishing on the trigger will help for me as it has for others. Thanks for the timely info by the others that have the same issues. I hope Henry can set this issue straight in the future.

new cheaper source for henry h015 fix'em springs (thanx to quicktdoo @ graybeard) - $22.29/shipped for ten .....

https://www.ebay.com/i/273445557456?chn=ps
    I ordered these on Ebay.

If anyone needs one (I am keeping 2 springs), I will start a thread in the classifieds.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy1111 View Post
    ... I hope Henry can set this issue straight in the future.
    not gonna happen. i've had correspondence with the henryUSA president and GM and they will not lighten either the trigger or hammer pull weights. this makes little to no sense for a single action hammer gun, where the gun will be perfectly safe from an accidental firing because it will only be in battery seconds before the trigger is pulled.

fortunately, thanx to MSM, we have a proper fix that will make these guns into what they should be when they leave the factory.

the range of trigger/hammer pull weights will vary and most folks are finding the stock pulls are in the 7 # to 8# range. unacceptable. replacing both stock springs with the one 31# spring and do a half dozen or so primer-only fires. if you get light strikes, add in the small hammer spring inside the larger 31# spring. that's about it.

Boolit Grand Master

I just did a bit of tinkering with the trigger. It looks like my trigger work has had a profound effect across the board. With only the 31# spring, my trigger smoothed out to about 2lb 12oz after a bunch of dry firing. With both the 31# and small factory spring installed, it brought it up to about 3lb 6oz. Here is where it gets interesting. With only the 38# spring, I get an even 3lb, and with 38#/SS I get 3lb 8oz. With only the factory big spring, I get just over that, maybe 3lb 10oz. With both factory springs, it jumps way up to about 4lb 8oz. I didn't try the 41# spring. After all that, I remembered why I tossed the small spring in the first place. It is under so much preload, it stacks heavily at full cock, plus I hear the springs scraping together when cocking the hammer. I now have only the 38# spring installed, and will give that a workout.

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast