Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Henry Single Shot Initial Impressions

Boolit Master
    Is there a you tube video on disasembly of the Henry SS

Banned

just got the h015-223 from my FFL and the muzzle diameter is .572" ... clearly the barrels are different, and the muzzle diameter can be different for different cartridges. i wonder if the muzzle diameters for just the .243 and .308 are also .572"?

i installed the weaver 4082 base and weaver medium rings - the rings are too low and won't clear the hammer. what 1" scope rings are y'all using to clear the hammer?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    just got the h015-223 from my FFL and the muzzle diameter is .572" ... clearly the barrels are different, and the muzzle diameter can be different for different cartridges. i wonder if the muzzle diameters for just the .243 and .308 are also .572"?

i installed the weaver 4082 base and weaver medium rings - the rings are too low and won't clear the hammer. what 1" scope rings are y'all using to clear the hammer?
    My 308 winchester has a muzzle of .575", so pretty close. The scope you use will have a big impact on the rings you use. I'm running low rings with a leupold 4-12x, and I have plenty of room to spare. Mine is mounted so the hammer sits in the groove between the eyepiece and power ring.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    Is there a you tube video on disasembly of the Henry SS
    I'm not equipped to do a proper video, the best I did was the write up in this thread. It is about the easiest gun to dissemble you will find, you can't really mess it up. Nothing springs out unexpectedly. Just take it apart on a towel.

As for the trigger I am VERY HAPPY now. This was my first attempted what I would call a real trigger job. I've smoothed up surfaces and whatnot in the past, but this was the first one I actually put a stone to the sear. That doesn't mean it's the right way, but it worked out ok this time, and is safe. I found that working on the hammer was easier than the trigger. I smoothed out the notch, but the real key was to reduce the sear engagement. I slowly through trial and error got it down to where there is almost no visible creep. It feels crisp. I really pounded on it to check safety, pushed hard on the hammer, it seems 100% safe. On my Wheeler trigger pull gauge, it is one line above 3 pounds. So lets say 3 pounds 2 ounces. This is with the 31# hammer spring. I'll be busy hunting for the next month and a half, but I can't wait to shoot it again.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 10-26-2018 at 02:26 PM.

Banned

about to do the spring job on my henry .223 s/s ... does the barrel hinge pin actually push out or does it need to be tapped out, and if so from which side?

Boolit Grand Master

about to do the spring job on my henry .223 s/s ... does the barrel hinge pin actually push out or does it need to be tapped out, and if so from which side?
    It is only held in by a spring and detent in the center. My fingers are too fat to push it all the way out by hand, but can start it. I often use a pencil, or whatever is handy. The forend does NOT need to be removed, which is a very nice feature. Also, it's much easier with the action open to push the pin out. It is, or should be very hard to push the pin out with the gun closed.

You don't need to remove the barrel to change the spring though. All you need to do is take the stock off, and you can then unscrew the spring housing.

Banned

good scoop, thanx MSM!

Banned

just got through doing the "henry h015 spring mod" thanx to megasupermagnum. the results for trigger pull is nothing short of spectacular. i pulled out both the outer and inner spring and replaced both with the single large 31# spring. if you have a henry s/s in any caliber, get the spring kit NOW, i think there's a few left at the CB classifieds.

some notes on doing the mod ....

* removing the barrel is TOO easy, just unlatch the action to drop down the barrel, and then push out the pivot pin. the pin has a detent that catches a spring loaded bearing, it pushes out with no undue effort. this is NOT required to swap out springs!

* remove the butt pad (it's 2pc, hard spacer and foam pad) by pushing in a large phillips screwdriver into the tiny holes in the foam pad, unscrew and remove.

* removing the buttstock requires a loooong allen key. i have a complete brownells mag driver kit and the allen wrench in the long brownells handle was about 1/8" or so too short. i improvised by adding an extension, but if i didn't have the extension i'd just cut off a piece of the driver's handle to make room.

* you do not need to remove the trigger assembly or hammer in order to replace the trigger/hammer spring. just unscrew the tube that the butt stock was screwed into, and replace both the large and small springs with the 31# new spring.

* reassemble and enjoy.

these guns are very nicely built with excellent machining and fit of all parts, metal and wood. they sure ain't no H&R handi, and i've four of them. with the trigger mod, this gun is now worth the $356/shipped i paid.

what are ya waiting for? go get that henry s/s trigger mod kit!

Boolit Grand Master

I've got two sets of springs left, I don't intend on buying any more. Hopefully Wolff will make them in the future, or someone else will have to do the buy next time.

The allen wrench had not even occurred to me. I've been using the Grace gunsmith driver set, with allen bits. I didn't realize a standard L wrench wouldn't fit. What would work really well is a ball-hex screwdriver. I've got a set at work, and they come in handy all the time. I actually prefer them to a T handle.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    .... What would work really well is a ball-hex screwdriver. I've got a set at work, and they come in handy all the time. I actually prefer them to a T handle.
    can also drill thru the driver's handle and insert a drill bit or heavy music wire to make it into a t-handle.

I've got two sets of springs left, I don't intend on buying any more. Hopefully Wolff will make them in the future, or someone else will have to do the buy next time.

The allen wrench had not even occurred to me. I've been using the Grace gunsmith driver set, with allen bits. I didn't realize a standard L wrench wouldn't fit. What would work really well is a ball-hex screwdriver. I've got a set at work, and they come in handy all the time. I actually prefer them to a T handle.
    I will take a set if you still have them, I have been looking for a way to lighten up the trigger pull on mine.

Also I have the H015-4570 and I can measure the barrel dimensions if you guys are still interested in that, I can take pictures and post or ill just make a chart with where I took measurements.

Boolit Grand Master

Funigui has taken one set, I only have a single set left. After the last one is gone, you will have to buy a 10 pack from Grainger which runs $25-30 with shipping. That's assuming the 31# spring turns out to be the sweet spot in most guns.

Banned

Funigui has taken one set, I only have a single set left. After the last one is gone, you will have to buy a 10 pack from Grainger which runs $25-30 with shipping. That's assuming the 31# spring turns out to be the sweet spot in most guns.
    i'll take that last set! PM incoming ...

Boolit Grand Master

I just got the worst news about these single shot's. I emailed Henry, asking when extra barrels might be available. I didn't expect an exact date, but I didn't expect this...

"Thank you for your interest. As mentioned previously, there are no plans to offer spare bbls. While they would likely install with no issue, we would not be able to effectively control the headspace and be sure they are within a safe tolerance."

Best Regards,

Tom

Well, it looks like I'll be enjoying my 308 winchester, but that kind of derails the whole thing for Henry. It's already a tough sell being priced above cheap bolt actions. Now they won't even offer accessory barrels? It's a nice rifle, although it needs trigger work, and they won't offer extra barrels to go with the receiver that you just did trigger work on. Very disappointing. Henry can build a nice rifle, but this is a very dumb choice on their part. Hopefully we will all email Henry, and request the same things. A better trigger, and extra barrels.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 11-05-2018 at 03:58 PM.

Banned

already emailed anthony ....

Boolit Grand Master

already emailed anthony ....
    What is his email? I thought he used to have email and phone on the website, but I can't find it now.

Banned

Boolit Grand Master

I just sent him a message.

Boolit Bub
    Received my 30-30 today, a more beautiful butt stock I have ever owned. Put in the spring kit from megasupermagnum and felt the improvement right away!! Wish I would have gotten another one before they sold out!! Please come out with another kit, only include the 31# spring and I will gladly pay the same price!! Thanks again!!

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast