Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data Wideners
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Henry Single Shot Initial Impressions

Boolit Grand Master

I'm an android man, but apple shouldn't be too different. If you upload pictures to an image hosting site, it should be fairly simple. Photobucket sometimes works, I think it is currently free. Tinypic might be a better site. From there you can copy and paste the "Image" link into your post on this forum. If you can't find that, just copy and paste the web address of the image on the image hosting site, and add [IMG] before, and [/IMG] after the link. There are size restrictions, so you may have to shrink an image for it to show up.

Banned

you can either post images direct from yer phone (ask the phone manufacturer how to do this if need be) ...

... or use the free and easy online image archive www.imgur.com

Finally got back to MN (on Thursday) and my Henry Single Shot rifle. Today I messed with the spring(s) and the bolt that attaches the stock to the gun via the "spring tube". I counted nearly 18 turns of the stock bolt to get the stock free of the action. Almost an inch of travel. That means the bolt can and will impinge on that smaller spring which is inserted into the large spring.....which would provide a variable situation. Kinda complicated......and I did not waste much time on this....but it does deserve more consideration.

I do not own a lathe anymore.....or I would make a couple of varied length plastic bushings that ride up against that spring and the trigger "transfer bar." Seems to me that shortening this affair would be the same as cutting a coil or two from the spring....in order to releive tension. This appears to be made from delrin plastic and measures .420" in diameter. It would not be too difficult to make these in a somewhat shorter version....which would take at least 1 lb of trigger pull from the gun.....according to my quick jerry rigging (I left the spring tube unscrewed about 3/16" and used a trigger pull gauge to check the trigger pull).

I put the factory large diameter spring back into my gun but did not put the small spring back into the gun. I also installed a good hammer extension. The trigger can now be pulled back at about 10 lbs effort and the trigger breaks at 5 lbs pull. The stock bolt will go inside the larger spring and not affect it. This trigger pull is not ideal....but it's good enough to do some load testing and likely for deer huninting......though I dont think a 5 lb trigger is too good as a varmint gun.

When I bought this gun....I also bought a new (low priced) Luepold scope....which appears to be defective. I mounted a tried and true scope to the gun.....and want to see how it groups before wasting much more time on the trigger.

Feels like I can live with this situation until a better plan comes about.
    Last edited by Foggy1111; 05-11-2019 at 09:19 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Considering they came out about a year ago, I'm not sure anyone has that much experience with them. To do a trigger job "right" would require a stoning jig, and I don't believe it will work on the single shot due to the trigger design. I could be wrong. I took a stone to my trigger, and it does make a significant improvement. Springs are just a tool in the tool box, and the Henry SS is definitely benefited by a lighter spring. Remove the small inner spring at the very least.

Please post pictures of exactly how you are cleaning up the Henry trigger.
    I know it's a older thread but My single shoot Henry,will be delivered on 6/1/19,just so happens that is the same day I expect my new ruger NMB Beasley in 32 Mag. to arrive.I went with the 243 on my Henry.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

rprny, old duffer, you would be so luck to make it that long. Ron

Boolit Master

Who makes a scope base for these single shot Henrys ?

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Buddy

Why no love for that one-piece tally mount and rings? Talley makes good stuff.

Warne made an excellent one too. Discontinued, but still 'around. hc18flyer

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy1111 View Post
    Why no love for that one-piece tally mount and rings? Talley makes good stuff.
    I've never tried Tally mounts myself, but I do not like one piece mounts for their lack of adjustability. Just a personal thing. I'm sure there are some tip top end products for the long range crowd, but for the average joe, Warne scope rings have blown me away with their quality. I use their standard steel rings mostly, but they have one of the best quick detach rings available. Many share that opinion too, with proof to back it up.

Since I use Warne rings, I use Warne bases. No other reason. Solid American products.

I haven't read all the messages to this thread but I did the trigger modification and have 9 extra trigger springs for the single shot. I had to buy 10 and they were back-ordered for quite awhile. I will be happy to sell them for $4.00 each plus shipping if anyone is interested. I 'll have to find out what the actual shipping cost is and I'll let you know if you PM me. Prefer to use PayPal. Dennis
    Last edited by lessismore; 06-04-2019 at 12:26 AM.

Boolit Master

I went with the fail mount,because that was what my dealer had on hand,but I did order the Tally from henrypride.com after getting home.I 've got a 357mag on order to make into a 357 maximum,I had a chance to see one when I picked up the 243.

Boolit Master

I went with the rail mount,because that was what my dealer had on hand,but I did order the Tally from henrypride.com after getting home.I 've got a 357mag on order to make into a 357 maximum,I had a chance to see one when I picked up the 243.

I did the spring mod on my 357 last night and shot it today. What an improvement. I was not very happy with my Henry until after the spring exchange. That said, before and after the mod I have some trigger creep I would like to eliminate. I don't know if this is a common problem, or I just got lucky.
    Last edited by lessismore; 06-06-2019 at 12:11 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Nope, common problem. The cheap way is cock the hammer , and push forward with your thumb and pull the trigger. Repeat until smooth enough. The more risky way is to stone the surfaces. Chances are you will have to get more involved to get a crisp trigger. I had to do quite a bit of work to mine.

I have the original large spring in my single shot....but removed the small spring. After replacing a defective scope....I fired the gun to sight it in yesterday. Five shots fired.....one FTF with a dented primer. Rotated the round 180 degrees and it fired the second time I pulled the trigger.

The gun seemed accurate enough.....but I did not shoot it more as I had other work to do. With about a 12 lb hammer cock.....and a five lb trigger pull....the gun operates OK. But I fear the FTF events will only worsen with colder weather.....thus not making this gun unsuitable for hunting as it is now. Not sure of the next steps.......but I think a sale or trade may be in order.....unless a good fix comes about PDQ.

Boolit Master
    Put the original springs back in it, after you polish the trigger and hammer, about 30 minute job. I had some ftf's in one of mine, stopped being lazy and did the trigger, about #3, crisp now, with the factory spring installed. I think we make a big deal about this simple fix on these guns, too much drama on this thread to suit me.

After the spring exchange fired 10 factory 38's and 50 hand load 357's with no problems. No light primer strikes. Excellent accuracy with the hand load 357's, not so much with the 38's. When I get more motivated I'll work on the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    Put the original springs back in it, after you polish the trigger and hammer, about 30 minute job. I had some ftf's in one of mine, stopped being lazy and did the trigger, about #3, crisp now, with the factory spring installed. I think we make a big deal about this simple fix on these guns, too much drama on this thread to suit me.
    If I put the original springs back in the gun....there are not many of our youth and few women that can cock that hammer without allot of effort....I don't care how slick you make that trigger and hammer. The rifle primers will need more of a strike than the pistol primers due to the somewhat thicker metal. My gun is ridiculous with the factory springs.

Too much drama? Many think not. Your experience might vary. Some people don't know this....but it is possible to read something on the internet you don't agree with and simply move on with your life. .

Boolit Grand Master

Drama? Maybe snobby attitudes, Henry rifles screwed up after all. It seems like most of us have found a way to work the trigger to our satisfaction, as they do not come at an acceptable level.

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920 LastLast