WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Henry Single Shot Initial Impressions

Boolit Grand Master

Unfortunately I have bad news. I shot 50 rounds today, and had two FTF with the 38# spring. Now I'm not going to write this off as weak springs just yet. I'm using 7.62x51 brass from a machine gun, all I shot today were full length sized. It's possible the head space was excessive. Along with that, the primers look awfully deep inside the pocket. I am swagging the primer pockets due to the military crimp. On the next loading I'll neck size only, and I'll measure the primer depth. Firing pin dent's do not look shallow though. I am only using Federal large rifle primers, and these work well in other rifles, they are not defective.

I will say that I shot a couple averages, five-5 shot groups of the Lee 309-170-F with Bluedot. 16 grains was what I have been shooting mostly, and it was again the best today with an average of 2.45" at 100 yards.

Boolit Grand Master

More bad news, Comparing fired brass, my full length sizing dies only bump the shoulder back .003". All primers are .004-.005" below flush. It seems odd that the hammer does not seem sluggish at all. On the few guns I've put too light of hammer springs in, I knew by dry firing that it would be iffy. With even the 31# spring, the hammer on this Henry is quick. I am going to put the original spring in without the smaller inner spring. If I still get FTF's with that, I know there is some other problem.

^^^.....and the variables continue. Do you have a hammer extension?....whom's weight will affect the hammer strike on that firing pin? Does the stock attaching bolt impinge on your springs?.....either with or without that center spring? Do you have a 31#? ....or a 38#?.... or a 51# spring? Then we have primer pocket and brass sizing variables......

I do wish I had my gun here in AZ with me....and I could determine the effects of that spring tube and stock bolt attachment - with or without that center spring.....which nobody has yet taken time to address.

Simply lots of variables here.....and folks get jumping to "solutions"......just saying.

I continue to think that the smaller diameter center spring (and the bolt that attaches the stock) is the cause of most of the problems with this hammer and trigger pull.
    Last edited by Foggy1111; 01-15-2019 at 12:27 AM.

I can throw one more in here. Since I ordered a bag of 31 pound springs and had some extras I decided to play a little to. I noticed in my gun anyway that the 31 pound spring was slightly longer than the stock 51 pound spring. So I decided to experiment and take out the 31 pound spring and cut one of the coils off. I simple went straight across or 180 from where the spring ends and cut the coil with a cutoff wheel from my dermel. I put the cut off end of the spring in the tube leaving the flat end to mate up with the plastic piece from the hammer spur. Just cutting off that piece of coil made quite a difference in my hammer pull. Took it out this weekend and shot at least 100 rounds thru it. No failures at all. Yes I have both the small and the 31 pound spring in. Al
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

Banned

i've lost count of the hundreds of rounds i've fired off, resized, fired off over and over, using starline brass exclusively in both guns (223 & 357), remington or cci standard primers, varget and w231 powders, sierra MKHP and BBI hi-tecs, with no FTFs and excellent accuracy. the 223 has just the 31# spring, the 357 has the 31# spring and the small stock spring. FTFs of any number dictate a ghost in the gun that must be exorcised. maybe better brass would do the trick.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy1111 View Post
    ^^^.....and the variables continue. Do you have a hammer extension?....whom's weight will affect the hammer strike on that firing pin? Does the stock attaching bolt impinge on your springs?.....either with or without that center spring? Do you have a 31#? ....or a 38#?.... or a 51# spring? Then we have primer pocket and brass sizing variables......

I do wish I had my gun here in AZ with me....and I could determine the effects of that spring tube and stock bolt attachment - with or without that center spring.....which nobody has yet taken time to address.

Simply lots of variables here.....and folks get jumping to "solutions"......just saying.

I continue to think that the smaller diameter center spring (and the bolt that attaches the stock) is the cause of most of the problems with this hammer and trigger pull.
    I do have a hammer extension, I've had it on the whole time, so not a variable. You know the stock bolt could be binding up the hammer spring, but I have no reason to look at that right now. I have the whole spectrum of hammer springs, and have been working my way from lightest to heaviest. The primer pocket variables, turned out to be nothing. I confirmed one by one, that every primer was and is seated to the same, correct depth.

I know the smaller spring is a problem with the stock bolt. That's why I ditched it ASAP. I don't have any reason to suspect it now. What I can do is use some paint on the bolt, and see how far it is engaging, then cut off the excess.

Before all that I'm going to shoot with the heaviest spring. If that don't work, I know the problem is either a binding hammer spring, binding hammer, or firing pin protrusion.

Boolit Mold
    Very new here. Wanted to say thanks for all the great info. I'll be looking for this 31# Spring. If there's anyone, that has a couple for sale. Message me. Thanks again for all information that was posted.

Boolit Grand Master
    Just wanted to add kudos for everyone working to make this rifle work better. I was looking at buying one when they were announced but my plans changed, and wound up buying two T/C rifles for a bit more than the Henry.

I do a lot of shooting off a bench and break open guns are less than ideal for that. Having owned the Browning 78 and Ruger #1, I got spoiled I guess. But the Henry offers a great value and it seems its heavy trigger can be addressed by anyone if they follow the advice here. Waiting to hear how the .38/55 rebarrel pans out.

It was a good and interesting read.

Again nice job...especially to MSM!
    Don Verna

I've owned a Browning Single Shot in 22-250 since the late 90's. Been fun to shoot....mostly at prairie dogs. I like the Single Shot rifles for their simplicity, safety, affordability and style. That Browning trigger is light to pull and smooth to operate.....only thing is.....it's near impossible to put a hammer extension on that gun.....due to the hammer being buried in the action when it's cocked. Been an issue for me....but I do live with it as the trigger operates easily and cleanly.

The one thing the Henry SS model is lacking is an acceptable trigger and hammer pull weight. I'm in AZ for the winter and my Henry is in MN. As a result of this thread.....I feel I could make my Henry rifle trigger and hammer into an acceptable gun.

Right now....everyone is experiencing a ruff winter....and I cannot blame anyone for staying indoors until this weather passes. I'd like to think the "perfect solution" for the Henry H015 rifles will surface in the months to come. I still believe that bolt that attaches the stock to the action is making a stinky on those springs.....especially if using that small spring in your gun. Also....checking that bolt length would seem to be a worthwhile thing to me. When May rolls around......I plan to experiment more with my rifle....and I would bet 10 to 1 that the bolt that attaches the stock to the action is the culprit for most of us.

Boolit Master
    Finally had a chance to shoot my 44 Mag. The hammer is hard to cock but I found the trigger pull to be fine. I bought the springs off someone on here a while ago so will probably swap them out just for giggles. First 20 rounds suggests it doesn't like the lee 200 or 310, but will try them again after I put a scope on it.

Boolit Buddy
    Lots to learn from this thread! I’ve been hankering fir a single shot rifle for a while, good to get back to basics sometimes. I was looking at the henry 357 single shot, wondering if I could have it reamed to 357 MAXimum. That would be a great deer/walking gun in my area. Additional 5k of pressure has me wondering.

Banned

i so no reason why the henry .357mag can't be reamed out to .357max, should be an easy task as all that's happening is removing forward chamber metal. i've thought of going from mag to max with my henry but so far the mag does what i require.

Boolit Buddy
    Just got my Henry barrel back from David White today,Chambered from 357 Mag to 357 Maximum and barrel chopped to 20". Have not had time to shoot it yet, Anyone have a 31# hammer spring they would be willing to sell?

^ IMO.....before you opt for that 31# spring.......try just removing that smaller diameter spring which is contained by the 50# (guess on my part) original equipment spring. You just may find you get the desired result by doing so.....and it won't cost a thing. My .02 cents.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the suggestion ,I already did that and according to my scale I still have a 5# trigger. I am going to go ahead and get another spring and see if there is an improvement, W/O any undesirable effects on operation of the gun such as misfires.

I believe There is one already on the way.

Banned

with the two henrys i bought i found that one (the .223) worked flawlessly with just the 31# spring and the other (the .357) required both the 31# spring and the smaller original hammer spring. experiment!

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone ever thought of making a brass bushing for in the spring tower to replace the plastic one that is in there? Anyone foresee any problem that might cause? I'm thinking it might ride smoother inside the tower than the plastic if it was polished mirror smooth, maybe even make it out of stainless steel. Would be a piece of cake for me to make one.

Could even be made in different lengths to tweak spring pressure. Say a bit longer maybe for a #31 spring and maybe a bit shorter for the original spring. I'm just having a brain storm.
    Last edited by crappie-hunter; 02-15-2019 at 09:13 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Sounds like a plan crappie hunter! I thought about an extra washer on the stock bolt but haven't pursued that. Kind of primitive compared to what you're talking about. I can't believe that the Wolff spring company appears to be sound asleep on these Henry SS's. They're sure missing out on a lot of business.

As an aside....I see Henry is now making a youth model SS. If they have a hammer pull as heavy as my H015-44 was prior to the spring change it would take a pretty robust kid to manage it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by crappie-hunter View Post
    Anyone ever thought of making a brass bushing for in the spring tower to replace the plastic one that is in there? Anyone foresee any problem that might cause? I'm thinking it might ride smoother inside the tower than the plastic if it was polished mirror smooth, maybe even make it out of stainless steel. Would be a piece of cake for me to make one.

Could even be made in different lengths to tweak spring pressure. Say a bit longer maybe for a #31 spring and maybe a bit shorter for the original spring. I'm just having a brain storm.
    I have had that idea, but I'm thinking aluminum may be better. Plenty tough, and the less mass, the better. I wouldn't change the length, but I would make it larger diameter.

I do have some good news though, as mine is finally 100% reliable. I had to go to the 42# spring. I've shot 150 rounds now with no problems. There is no problem with my gun, and there is certainly variations between each, so the 31# may work with some. Mine did not, but works with with the 42#. My trigger is now a crisp 3 pounds, 6 ounces. I can't complain about that. I've got a couple loads worked up, and and am happy with it. At this point I don't think I will change anything more, and will continue to shoot it.

Boolit Buddy
    Where to get a 42# spring?, Ohiopatriot was going to send me a 31#, but have not heard from him in a while,

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920 LastLast