RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Henry Single Shot Initial Impressions

Boolit Buddy
    My H015-308 rifle came from factory with 3 lb or less (did not measure) of trigger pull and I had issues with light strike on military 7.62x51 ammo. It would light strike 4 out of 10 rounds. I've got some advice from Quickdto of tightening the stock (which just happened to be slightly loose) and it improved some but still light strike the military ammo. Commercial primers are OK.
    Now that I hear about the trigger pull to be 7 lbs+, I noticed that my 44 mag rifle is heavier than the 308 rifle by a noticeable margin, I bet that is the reason for the light strike on my 308 W rifle.

In another note:
    I sent my 308 rifle barrel to Jes Reboring to converted to 358 Win and I purchased an 0H15-3030 rifle (30-30 win) and I will hold off for a 357 mag for later. My 308 win had a muzzle outside diameter of 0.56" and Jess said that it would work (although he has not done any Henry ss rifle yet. I will let you know how that went when it's done.

Ohiopatriot: I like to get 3 of those 31# springs. Let me know how much it would be.

Thanks,
    Camba

Boolit Bub
    Ohiopatriot, will take 2 of the springs, thanks, Frank, will be out in tomorrows mail

Boolit Master
    In post #168 (I think) I posted about some cosmetic and fitment issues I had with my new Henry and you guys talked me into sending it back to Henry.

Rifle arrived today and to my surprise they did not repair it but simply replaced it with a different rifle. Finish on the buttstock is as it should be on this one but the fit between wood and metal is not much better and the gap between the forend an frame on this one seems to be larger than on the one I sent in. Just going to have to shoot this one and forget about it I guess. I won't buy another one sight unseen as I did this one. Took them about 7 working days to decide to replace it and it was a week each way with UPS so about 3 weeks or so all together to get a replacement.

Henry did not hesitate to take it back under warranty so that is certainly a positive.

As of today i have one spring remaining, if you'd like it PM me.

Boolit Master
    To Ohiopatriot et.al.:

First, Ohiopatriot, my $$ are in the mail (see PM).

Second, I got my .357 today. Nicely done, very nice walnut.
    However, it does take 2 men & a boy to pull the hammer back !!!
    Looking forward to the spring fix.

It will be fun getting it where I want it and working
    up loads for it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FredBuddy View Post
    To Ohiopatriot et.al.:

First, Ohiopatriot, my $$ are in the mail (see PM).

Second, I got my .357 today. Nicely done, very nice walnut.
    However, it does take 2 men & a boy to pull the hammer back !!!
    Looking forward to the spring fix.

It will be fun getting it where I want it and working
    up loads for it.
    i had the same reaction with both my H015 .223 & .357 guns.

yer gonna *LOVE* that new and far lighter spring, guaranteed.

it's like having a totally new gun, and in a really good manner.

All springs sold pending funds.

Boolit Buddy
    I am kicking around picking one up in 45-70.
    Time to scour some gun stores and see if anyone has any in stock.

Camba- Let us know how you rebore progress'? I have be considering opening up a 357 to Max, but .358 Win would be ideal! Thanks, hc18flyer

Boolit Buddy
    Hc18flyer,
    It’s been a full week since the barrel arrived at Jes Reboring. I have not received a call from Jes so that means to me that he will be reboring it. I can’t wait to have it done and back to me. Definitely i will let you know how it went.
    Camba

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just ordered some of the Grainger springs and will have some for sale when I receive them. I will post again when I have them. I took my 357 to the range yesterday and I can now bench press 100lbs with my right thumb
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

Received springs Saturday (will ship out the sold ones Monday).

Installed one this afternoon in my .308. The before pull was right at 6lbs. The new spring is 3.75lb with a nice smooth pull. Very pleased. This is a worth while upgrade.

I bought a 31# spring from RFD in Mid November. (THANKS RFD!) Was unable to install the spring until today as I have been gone. Here are a few observations on my spring install.

1. The inner spring is of small enough diameter to cause an affect (increase) in tension when you re-install the bolt that holds the stock in place.

a. Prior to installing the stock bolt.....my trigger pull was 3.5# with both the small factory spring and the 31# spring purchased from RFD.
    b. After installing the stock bolt the pressure to pull the hammer back was magnified by nearly double (from 7 to 14 lbs) and the trigger pull went from 3.5 to over 5 lbs.
    c. Removing the small factory spring put the hammer and trigger pull back to 7 lbs hammer and 3.5 lbs trigger respectively.
    d. I tried some live primers and the hammer strike seems adequate for the task.
    e. After range testing.....I may either shorten the small factory spring or find a replacement - depending upon further research.

It's unclear to me why the factory would allow a wooden stock and the bolt that retains the stock (both variables) to have an effect on the trigger and hammer pull weights - which it does as the bolt pushes on the small center spring via the tube which contains the spring.....and also allows the attachment of the stock bolt with excess threads going thru the tube and against that smaller spring. Why? Makes no sense to me.

I won't be able to work on this gun until May or so.....as I will be pretty much gone for the winter....but I will post some other results when I find the time. BUT.....this center spring and stock bolt arrangement may shed some light on another guy willing to tinker a bit. I think this is a bit bogus.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	henry springs.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	232339

The above pic shows the relationship of the bolt that holds the stock on.....and the springs that apply force to the hammer and trigger. The bolt will fit in the center of the larger spring....but pushes against the smaller spring and may be somewhat variable depending on several factors. My bolt was quite loose....as was the stock when I took it apart. I imagine a 1/2 turn could apply significant force to the smaller spring(?) and the springs may have an effect on one another depending how the coils line up as pressure is applied or let off (?) <---my theory anyway. Makes me wonder about the Henry techs a bit as a good gunsmith could resolve these issues.....IMO.
    Last edited by Foggy1111; 12-19-2018 at 07:54 PM.

Another thing that has me bewildered....is the Hammer Extension as sold by Henry and made for Henry by Calson Choke tubes. The first one I purchased bent when I tightened it up.....and would work loose as I test fired the gun. I wrote to Henry about the issue and sent them a picture much like the below. They acknowledged the issue and had a new one sent to me by Carlson. Put it on today when I installed the spring.

The new one is the same deal. When you tighten the set screw the hammer extension will work forward when you drop the hammer. When it is all the way forward it will then work loose and will fly off after about 3 hammer drops. When you re-tighten it will simply stretch the aluminum and work loose yet again. Repeat until it flys off again and again and is now bent beyond use.

Folks....the aluminum simply lacks the tensile strength to allow it to do its job. I realize its cheaper to make out of aluminum and may to some extent lessen the effects of a heavy weight hammer.....but this product is not ready for prime time....and sending me another one will only serve to further piss me off and increase my doubts regarding the testing of the Henry H015 product.

I installed an old T/C Contender hammer extension I have.....and that extension stays put and does not stretch.....all-though it does hurt my thumb due to it's shape...especially before the spring replacement. I will likely buy a STEEL Grove-Tec hammer extension when time permits....it's round like the Henry and should be tough enough to withstand tightening a small screw. I really get cheesed about little stuff like this....as I expect these Brand-Name products to be of good quality and made to do the job. This Henry hammer extension is not. I like the design and the ambidextrous ability of the extension....but the material is simply not up to the task.

Henry....if your reading this.....I spent many years working for an aluminum company....and I "assume" this is 6061 T6 alloy or something close. It needs more tensile strength or perhaps more temper......or most likely it needs to be 7000 alloy or titanium or steel....or made from something stiffer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hammer extension.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	232340
    Last edited by Foggy1111; 12-19-2018 at 07:50 PM.

OH....after all my ranting about these issues.....I forgot to report that when these things are resolved.....the gun operates very nicely now. Nice trigger pull and very crisp trigger....like I had expected it would before I purchased the gun. (I had ordered the gun without trial). An easy fix....thanks to the guys above solving this issue.

Also....a HUGE factor to me....is that I can now pull the hammer back without causing injury to my thumb. Pulling back the hammer previous to this spring change was very hard on my thumb. It's now a piece of cake.

I'm sure a spring kit will become standard on someones shelves in time to come. Too bad the early buyers need to experiment to make it work right.....but the gun now will become a nice piece and could be used by a kid or woman. Previous to the spring change I doubt many women or kids could pull the hammer back.
    Last edited by Foggy1111; 12-19-2018 at 07:16 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

That sounds about right Foggy, and I still think ditching the small spring is the best route. The 31# spring alone seems to be working for a number of people, but some not as much, I'm one. I am now trying a 38# spring, which only adds a bit more to the trigger pull, not even half of what the small spring does, yet provides more force to the hammer. Hammer velocity is ultimately what we are after, and as you noted, there are variables. Some guns have more friction between the hammer and frame, some might have a little more mass. One is the hammer extension, and where it is mounted. A heavy steel hammer extension, mounted high can reduce hammer velocity, while a skeletonized hammer will be much faster all else equal. I'm running a Grovtec GTHM-283 (steel), the best hammer extension IMO, and I have it mounted as low as possible to reduce it's effects. Still I found the 31# spring only inadequate in my rifle. It was about 98% reliable for me, so I'm thinking the 38# will be perfect. One thing to note is that these rifles will be 100% reliable no matter what with only the big factory spring, about 50#. With the 31# spring and small factory spring, the hammer pull is only slightly less than with the 50# big spring only, yet I would bet the 50# spring only will provide more hammer velocity. I'm no expert, but the reason being the larger spring has more potential energy stored throughout the swing, while the small spring is only providing a big boost for a shorter part of the hammer swing. A spring's force is directly related to how it is compressed. As you have noted, the small spring is only compressed maybe 1/3rd of what the big spring is.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 12-19-2018 at 07:51 PM.

Banned

i have carlson hammer spurs on both henry h015's and have hundreds of rounds through each with no problem. maybe it's a problem waiting to happen for me. if so, i'll take the time (that i don't have, nor want to use) to make some steel hammer spurs.

i took pull readings on both my h015's before swapping springs. then took pull weights with the new spring and the stock off, and then with the stock on - no differences were recorded on my easton digital scale.

i doubt there'll ever be a "standardized" set of h015 springs because of the slight differences in each gun, but as with most handguns there could be a set of springs that someone could offer (please, wolff!) that would allow custom tailoring good trigger and hammer pull weights. i'm quite satisfied with the 31# spring on the .223 but the 31# spring alone in the .357 gave me a great sub 3# trigger but far too many primer FTFs, and had to add back the small stock spring.

Before I put this spring issue to rest.....I'm going to speculate a bit on how this dual spring arrangement came to be.

I suspect that the "original" design had a single spring and a reasonable hammer pull and good trigger pull. Then the gun was trialed by a 3rd party and they could make the hammer fall by a drop test on the gun upon occasion(s).

Henry likely had allot of springs on hand.....so they just added a smaller diameter spring to the center of the "original" spring and the gun passed the drop test. Someone cried "Bingo" and they went to production without further ado.

Nobody recognized that the smaller spring could be affected by the bolt that attaches the stock to the spring tube housing. BUT IT DOES. It's a variable and will make erratic behavior to the hammer pull and trigger pull in these guns.....IMO.

If I had the time.....I would like to re-install the original large spring (without the center spring) and see how that performs. I'd be willing to bet that the original large spring (sans the smaller spring) will perform very nicely for the vast majority of users. Someone else have time to tinker a bit ?

Edit for the response by RFD : I'd bet that your small diameter spring is not being compressed as much by the stock bolt as it is in my gun.....or perhaps your other gun. This variable is going to be an issue for many....if not most....of us. Henry needs to do away with the dual spring situation......or go to a shorter stock bolt or some other plan so as to eliminate these variables. Not that hard to do....IMO.
    Last edited by Foggy1111; 12-19-2018 at 08:55 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy1111 View Post
    Before I put this spring issue to rest.....I'm going to speculate a bit on how this dual spring arrangement came to be.

I suspect that the "original" design had a single spring and a reasonable hammer pull and good trigger pull. Then the gun was trialed by a 3rd party and they could make the hammer fall by a drop test on the gun upon occasion(s).

Henry likely had allot of springs on hand.....so they just added a smaller diameter spring to the center of the "original" spring and the gun passed the drop test. Someone cried "Bingo" and they went to production without further ado.

Nobody recognized that the smaller spring could be affected by the bolt that attaches the stock to the spring tube housing. BUT IT DOES. It's a variable and will make erratic behavior to the hammer pull and trigger pull in these guns.....IMO.

If I had the time.....I would like to re-install the original large spring (without the center spring) and see how that performs. Someone else?
    I think you are dead on. Run the 31# spring first though. If it works for you, then stick with it.

rdf, didn't I sell you a spring kit? Try the 38# spring, and see if it is reliable.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    rfd, didn't I sell you a spring kit? Try the 38# spring, and see if it is reliable.
    definitely thought about that before i slipped the small spring into the 31# and afterwards it worked so well that i just didn't pursue the 38#. might give it a try, though.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast