MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Graf & SonsLee PrecisionStainLess Steel Media

Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 6000 USD, Received: 4840 USD (81%)
We have reached our goal! Thanks to all who donated! I will be updating the donation bar in the next few days!
Our Annual server fund drive is going on now! This donation drive helps fund Cast Boolits for an entire year, and helps support our 2nd amendment rights! You can donate by Paypal by clicking the DONATE button. Or by Cash / Check / MO to the address below:

Willy Snyder
PO Box 2732
Pocatello, ID 83206
****Due to overwhelming e-mails, I will be very slow in updating this list. Please bear with me!****

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Henry Single Shot Initial Impressions

It sounds like it might be a keeper. Good shooting there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    Thanks for the review! I've been looking for a .308 and have pretty much settled on getting one of the Henry single shots. I have a Handi in .357 that is fun to play with - both smokeless and BP. I already load 30-30 so have a selection of molds that throw a variety of weights. I wish the Henry was available in 30-30 - would even like one in 32 H & R - but I understand that to offer them in every caliber to please all is not a good business decision. As time goes on, perhaps they will add other calibers.
    why not get a lesser caliber and get the barrel and chambered rebored? that's how i went from .40-65 to .45-70 and got a better chamber and rifling to boot (better cartridge, too!). ain't expensive at all. go call bobby hoyt in PA!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    why not get a lesser caliber and get the barrel and chambered rebored? that's how i went from .40-65 to .45-70 and got a better chamber and rifling to boot (better cartridge, too!). ain't expensive at all. go call bobby hoyt in PA!
    At that point you might as well have just got a TC encore. Unless that guy could do a rebore under $200?

Boolit Master

it really all comes down to what rifle is wanted ... or needed.

Thanks for the review. The trigger pull will probably lighten up after a few hundred firings. I've been interested in the 45-70 chambering, but you can't hardly find them anywhere. I'm hoping that the Henry can grab enough of the market to bring their price down a little and that they'll offer a bunch of different chamberings. Wildcatting one of these things would probably be pretty trivial. I would happily settle for some plainer wood if the gun was $300 or less. Maybe offer the nice wood as the deluxe model?

Boolit Master

again, it all depends on yer requirement for such a gun/cartridge.

if it's range plinking or hunting, they're all more than capable of getting the job done (the henry s/s and the cva hunter s/s, both in .45-70).

if it's competitive steel or paper targets at any distance, nope, not gonna happen. like the H&R buff classic, not even close and a waste of money and time.

Boolit Master

My steel .44 Henry Single is going to require some action work before I even think about taking it hunting. I can imagine the buck of a lifetime giving a 3 second window of opportunity at 50 yards while I'm struggling with the last few pounds of this ridiculous trigger pull. It's a beautiful little rifle, well made and feels good in my hands but I can't understand what Henry was thinking when they put such heavy springs in them. This would make a good deer rifle with reduced loads for a young hunter (or an old man) but I doubt most kids would have the hand strength to cock the hammer.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by doghawg View Post
    My steel .44 Henry Single is going to require some action work before I even think about taking it hunting. I can imagine the buck of a lifetime giving a 3 second window of opportunity at 50 yards while I'm struggling with the last few pounds of this ridiculous trigger pull. It's a beautiful little rifle, well made and feels good in my hands but I can't understand what Henry was thinking when they put such heavy springs in them. This would make a good deer rifle with reduced loads for a young hunter (or an old man) but I doubt most kids would have the hand strength to cock the hammer.
    I still have not called Henry, but it really is heavy. I wish I had a gauge. I'm not too worried about it, I have stronger than normal fingers, but this is not a good kids gun as they come.

Boolit Master

the trigger is at the heart of the action, and taking the shot. it's the achilles heel of the henry s/s (and sadly too many other guns). other than simply not giving a cr@p, and being more concerned over price point and thinking that nice wood is better for marketing, it makes no sense to offer an otherwise good gun with a 7 to 10 pound trigger pull. far cheaper rifles (i.e. savage axis II and ruger american rimfire) come with Great triggers that are even adjustable. geez.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I still have not called Henry, but it really is heavy. I wish I had a gauge. I'm not too worried about it, I have stronger than normal fingers, but this is not a good kids gun as they come.
    I haven't measured the trigger pull either nor called Henry yet. I have an RCBS pull gauge that goes up to 4 1/2lbs and getting the trigger to break calls for a lot more pull on the gauge than 4 1/2. I believe a realistic guess would be 8 lbs. and it's not creep free either. Was trying some offhand shooting at a 50 yd swinger (old eyes and iron sights) and it requires every bit of concentration I can muster up to get a shot off.

I'll check with Wolff today to see if they make springs for it and will call Henry on Monday. Henry has an excellent reputation for good customer service and I know they are getting other complaints on this issue. Maybe they have a fix in the works.

Edit to add...Just called Wolff and they do not currently have anything for the Henry but the man on the phone said they'd be looking in to it.
    Last edited by doghawg; 08-17-2018 at 12:42 PM. Reason: additional info

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12