Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Henry Single Shot Initial Impressions

Boolit Mold
    I live in a touristy little town in Michigan, and actually relish the winter for the simple fact that right around Labor Day, everyone packs up and goes back downstate and one can shoot a cannon through town without much fuss. But alas, just a week or so ago, I really twisted my knee in a direction a knee shouldn't go, so now am going at something less than half speed. Feeling better each day though.

But with the rain predicted, a good time to play in the workshop reloading. I emailed Mr. Imperato regarding my situation, but have heard no word.

Boolit Mold
    Today, I get an email from Henry, showing an order for two hats, a keychain, and a coffee mug. All discounted to a cost of zero. While I appreciate the gesture, I don't need fluff...I need a serviceable rifle! I called them, they had no record of me in the system yet, and scheduled a return of the rifle. They seem to not want to hear that there is a problem with these triggers, they just considered my rifle as "light hammer strike" and that's what the problem is. I told them as much as I'd like to like the rifle, they really dropped the ball in the trigger/firing pin assembly. They don't want to hear it, and I suppose the rifle will be returned with the WAY too heavy hammer pull and trigger weight. If so, the gun is going on the block or see if they will refund me my purchase price, after buying dies, bullets, and other what not associated with a 30/30, as this was my first of that caliber.

I told them to cancel the order of hats, mugs, and keychains too. No free advertising from this one until they get the guns right.

Still not impressed.

Banned

i got the same treatment - cordial, friendly, the offer of free bling which i immediately refused, but no statement from henry about the hefty trigger pull condition. i didn't call to return the rifle as MSM's spring fix did the trick for me with both .223 and .357 versions, but to offer my suggestion that they fix the dang trigger ASAP.

Banned

FWIW, this is the email answer from henry's GM to my query about the hefty trigger pull ...

November 11, 2018

Thank you for owning a Henry. We appreciate your feedback and support. I agree with your assessment of the trigger/hammer on the H015 models. Please allow me to explain.

Henry is a member of the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute (SAAMI). SAAMI manages our industry standards for safety, interchangeability, reliability, and quality of firearms, ammunition and components. One of the final steps in developing a new model is testing of actual production parts to make sure that we meet or exceed SAAMI standards. There are specific tests defined by SAAMI that require specialized equipment and procedures.

We were forced to use a heavier spring in the H015 models to comply with these standards. We cannot endorse modifying the spring to a lighter force because it may not pass a drop test. I think it goes without saying that overall safe operation comes first and unfortunately trigger pull comes later. Some people may say that it is not a realistic test to drop a rifle in 6 different positions from 4 feet in the air onto a hard surface but that is the standard, and that heavier spring was only considered after unsuccessful tests with lighter springs.

We certainly understand the issue and intend to redesign in order to accomplish safety and better hammer/trigger performance. In the meantime, we cannot endorse modifying this spring. Thank you for writing us. Please feel free to reach out us any time.

Sincerely,

Andy Wickstrom, General Manager

Henry Repeating Arms
    107 W. Coleman St.
    Rice Lake, WI 54868

Office: 715.736.3030

Email: andy@henryusa.com

Web: www.henryusa.com

Boolit Mold
    Put a safety on it, and give it a good trigger. Charge whatever the difference is. They keep trying to beat this dead horse with attorney babble.

Banned

it already has a safety. it's called a "hammer". only a fool would carry that rifle, or ANY similar single shot such as a sharps or rolling block with the hammer cocked.

"The action has no external manual safety; it uses a rebounding hammer that can’t touch the firing pin unless the trigger’s deliberately pulled, and an interlock system that doesn’t allow the barrel to open if the hammer’s cocked, or the barrel to close if the hammer’s cocked while it’s open."

nothing that henry has said about the reasons they've created these rifles with heavy trigger pulls makes any common sense to anyone.

Boolit Master
    I got another H+R 38-357-357 maxi used to go with the 45-70 , I do the trigger and no creep/3lb when done and goes bang every time (accurate too) ! They are around/Ed

Quote Originally Posted by littlecmonkey View Post
    Today, I get an email from Henry, showing an order for two hats, a keychain, and a coffee mug. All discounted to a cost of zero. While I appreciate the gesture, I don't need fluff...I need a serviceable rifle! I called them, they had no record of me in the system yet, and scheduled a return of the rifle. They seem to not want to hear that there is a problem with these triggers, they just considered my rifle as "light hammer strike" and that's what the problem is. I told them as much as I'd like to like the rifle, they really dropped the ball in the trigger/firing pin assembly. They don't want to hear it, and I suppose the rifle will be returned with the WAY too heavy hammer pull and trigger weight. If so, the gun is going on the block or see if they will refund me my purchase price, after buying dies, bullets, and other what not associated with a 30/30, as this was my first of that caliber.

I told them to cancel the order of hats, mugs, and keychains too. No free advertising from this one until they get the guns right.

Still not impressed.
    They will refund your money if you ask them to . Sounds to me like thats what you need to do. I dont think you will be happy with the gun after they send it back.
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

Boolit Mold
    I'd be content if it fires every time, and if it does not, that will be the next step. I'll apply the money toward a Number 1.

Boolit Master
    Having the hammer cocked has zero to do with a drop test. Sounds to me like Henry is listening and trying to get it right they need to juggle some balls in the air with safety requirements and of course the threat of civil litigation by some over greedy siren chaser. So try to walk in their shoes and work with them. We all tinker and do not tell. The gesture to send bling is more than you would get with any Company you deal with so it seems a little harsh to get on them for that. I bought a very expensive Rubicon 4 door Jeep the dealer would not even throw in a hat for crying out loud.

Boolit Mold
    I am doing just that. Like I said, the gesture was nice, but I really don't want that stuff. I'd like to think I did Henry a favor by them being able to send it to someone who does want it or outright sell it in their "Henry Pride" store.

However, a reliable rifle I don't think is too much to ask for, and it should have been that way leaving their company.

I'm guessing your Jeep at least drove off the lot.
    Last edited by littlecmonkey; 04-25-2019 at 09:56 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Got the rifle back from Henry...with a note that the trigger pull has to be excessive for the gun to fire. About eight pounds, with tons of creep. It did fire reliably, though stellar accuracy can never be had with a trigger like that. I tried the #31 spring and again had misfires. The same dented primers ignited with the super heavy Henry spring.

Henry states right in their instruction manual that refunds will not be given, so reluctantly I'll keep this rifle. First opportunity and it's gone. Henry had such an open market to provide a quality single shot, but in my estimation failed miserably, and I don't think by the sound of any correspondence that they're looking to change things. I'd never buy another.

Anyone needs one of the #31 springs, let me know.

This gun does not belong in my stable.

Banned

are you using federal primers? if not, try them along with the 31# spring and the stock small spring.

Boolit Mold
    Tried that combo...had misfires. Henry ought to be ashamed.

I have owned a hundred or more guns. I don't think I have ever owned a gun with as heavy of a hammer pull and trigger pull as this Henry Single Shot. Mine is awful. In a few weeks I will see if there is a way to correct it....as I go south for the winter and my rifle is back north. I do have a few ideas I want to try. But.....It doesn't sound promising.

Boolit Master
    Littlecmonkey, I sent you a pm!

Boolit Buddy
    I know this post may be a little late, but I have been doing trigger jobs on the Henry single shot rifles for a while now, and have no problem adjusting the pull weight down to 3 pounds. Mine is 2 lbs. 10 oz. and feels great!

I "don't" replace the springs, as that is not the proper way of doing a trigger job on these guns! I remove the internal components of the receiver, and hone and stone them until I get the desired weight of pull. It's like most things in life, either do it right or don't do it at all!

I have seen receivers that just had the springs replaced, and it nearly always resulted in a gun that had more failure to fire issues than anything else.

So, if anyone interested in a proper trigger job on their Henry single shot, send me a pm.
    Last edited by ASSASSIN; 05-06-2019 at 05:03 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ASSASSIN View Post
    I know this post may be a little late, but I have been doing trigger jobs on the Henry single shot rifles for a while now, and have no problem adjusting the pull weight down to 3 pounds. Mine is 2 lbs. 10 oz. and feels great!

I "don't" replace the springs, as that is not the proper way of doing a trigger job on these guns! I remove the internal components of the receiver, and hone and stone them until I get the desired weight of pull. It's like most things in life, either do it right or don't do it at all!

I have seen receivers that just had the springs replaced, and it nearly always resulted in a gun that had more failure to fire issues than anything else.

So, if anyone interested in a proper trigger job on their Henry single shot, send me a pm.
    Considering they came out about a year ago, I'm not sure anyone has that much experience with them. To do a trigger job "right" would require a stoning jig, and I don't believe it will work on the single shot due to the trigger design. I could be wrong. I took a stone to my trigger, and it does make a significant improvement. Springs are just a tool in the tool box, and the Henry SS is definitely benefited by a lighter spring. Remove the small inner spring at the very least.

Please post pictures of exactly how you are cleaning up the Henry trigger.

Boolit Buddy
    Tell me how to post pictures from my iPhone. My computer is on the blink, and until I can it fixed, I'm stuck with posting pictures with my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by ASSASSIN View Post
    Tell me how to post pictures from my iPhone. My computer is on the blink, and until I can it fixed, I'm stuck with posting pictures with my phone.
    I'm not going here.

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920 LastLast