MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Henry Single Shot Initial Impressions

Well that was a good long read......took me from 8.6.2018 until now, but I did it.
    As with any new firearm, I take it apart to clean any machine oil, shavings, etc.
    While it is apart I always polish everything I can with Flitz or equivalent before re-assembly.
    My last/latest Henry SSR is a H015-357 magnum/maximum, with a Bellm chamber extension.
    It likes 180gr and 200gr coated Penn, 180gr XTP, and Speer 180gr HotCor
    I really enjoy it, with a Red Dot or Leupold .....and a GrovTec hammer extension.
    If anyone still has any springs left [31# 38# 42#] I would like to try them just for gits and shiggles.
    Liberalism is an incurable disease

Boolit Mold
    I see this an old thread, had a great amount of info. I have a 30-30 SS inbound. I ordered the 31# spring from Grainger already.

Wanted to see if there was any updates on owners of the SS's?

I planned on dropping in the 31# with the small inner spring as a starter then go from there.

Boolit Buddy

I've had a 30-30 for 2 months. New gun trigger pull average of 10 pulls was 5.3#. Everything I've put through it has been handloads. The first 20 or so had a few failures to fire on the first strike, after that things settled down for the next 250. Then I put the hammer extension on and started getting ftf again. I had been using Winchester primers (known hard) so I switched to Federal and the last 50 have gone of on the first hammer fall. It has a long way to go before I would trust it to take my world record whitetail but so far it seems to be working just fine with the Federal primers. The good part is that after the second loading of the 300 rounds, I've almost gotten rid of all of my old 30 cal. cast boolits!
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Ford View Post
    I've had a 30-30 for 2 months. New gun trigger pull average of 10 pulls was 5.3#. Everything I've put through it has been handloads. The first 20 or so had a few failures to fire on the first strike, after that things settled down for the next 250. Then I put the hammer extension on and started getting ftf again. I had been using Winchester primers (known hard) so I switched to Federal and the last 50 have gone of on the first hammer fall. It has a long way to go before I would trust it to take my world record whitetail but so far it seems to be working just fine with the Federal primers. The good part is that after the second loading of the 300 rounds, I've almost gotten rid of all of my old 30 cal. cast boolits!
    That sounds good to hear. Im assuming with the FTF you have the 31# spring and no small spring?

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by dave19113 View Post
    That sounds good to hear. Im assuming with the FTF you have the 31# spring and no small spring?

Stock, out of the box with both springs.
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Ford View Post
    Stock, out of the box with both springs.
    Wow, FTF with stock springs? So do you think the FTF was due to the hammer spur installed?

Boolit Buddy

Wow, FTF with stock springs? So do you think the FTF was due to the hammer spur installed?
    Was the only thing different.

Boolit Grand Master

I see this an old thread, had a great amount of info. I have a 30-30 SS inbound. I ordered the 31# spring from Grainger already.

Wanted to see if there was any updates on owners of the SS's?

I planned on dropping in the 31# with the small inner spring as a starter then go from there.
    No real update. I'm very happy with my rifle after I gave it a trigger job and replaced the spring with the 42#. You can look back, but I believe the trigger pull was better with the stock large spring, and no inner spring, than with any other combo involving that inner spring. It really is bad, just throw that small spring away.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    No real update. I'm very happy with my rifle after I gave it a trigger job and replaced the spring with the 42#. You can look back, but I believe the trigger pull was better with the stock large spring, and no inner spring, than with any other combo involving that inner spring. It really is bad, just throw that small spring away.
    Ok, thanks for the info. I was going to give that combo a try also. As far as you remember though, no real issues with FTF with stock big spring and ditching the small spring?

Boolit Grand Master

Ok, thanks for the info. I was going to give that combo a try also. As far as you remember though, no real issues with FTF with stock big spring and ditching the small spring?
    None at all. If I remember correctly, the original large spring is something like 50#. No misfires at all with the 42#. Something like 1 in 100 ftf with the 38#. Many seem to get away with the 31#. I'm using a steel hammer extention, which does seem to make a difference. More mass means less hammer velocity.

Boolit Master
    Would the single shot's firing pin being made .003 to .005 longer longer fix ignition problems? A longer pin and lighter spring might work together without causing problems. Cajun Gunworks used this strategy with CZ pistols.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by lightload View Post
    Would the single shot's firing pin being made .003 to .005 longer longer fix ignition problems? A longer pin and lighter spring might work together without causing problems. Cajun Gunworks used this strategy with CZ pistols.
    I was actually thinking the same thing

Boolit Grand Master

I'm sure most of us have heard the news by now that Henry has recalled every model of the single shot due to a possible safety issue. I had my trigger tuned perfectly for me with a super crisp 3# pull, and I knew there was no way a factory could replicate this. Even though they promise a trigger upgrade, it doesn't take much to upgrade some of the 7-8 pound and gritty stuff they have been sending out. After some thought, I decided why not? Worst case, I do a trigger job again.

I just checked, and I received a shipping label on 8/26/20. I believe I shipped it the same day. I pulled the scope, but left the rifle whole. I did not ask about sending the action only, but being as shipping is free, they will even send you a box, why bother? It was back on my doorstep on 9/2/20. I'm not far from Rice Lake, WI, but that is outstanding!

The first thing I did was try the trigger, and was amazed to find it was still a super crisp 3# pull. Today I finally got to take it apart, and see what has been done. Right off the bat I noticed the black plastic spring spacer was replaced with a white one. I believe it is still plastic, but it seems like an extremely hard plastic. Inside the housing was only a single spring. I do not know if they replaced my 38# spring, or left it in there. Somewhere I should have left over springs that I could compare to, but I have no idea where I stashed them. Upon removing the trigger group, I didn't see anything. I removed the hammer, and that has clearly been replaced with a new one, as mine had some polishing done to it. For the actual safety upgrade, I'm not sure what exactly has been done. The second notch on the hammer is what stops it from hitting. Maybe it is larger than before? I wish I could see the old and new hammer side by side. The trigger appears to be the same, except finely polished. Everything was cleaned and greased.

Someone had said before the change, that if you pulled the hammer back most of the way, and released, you could feel the firing pin with your finger. I could not feel it with mine before. Now after the change, I still cant feel anything. The trigger return spring appears to be the same cone shaped spring as before. The only parts besides the spring plunger that was changed is the hammer, and possibly the trigger, so that must be where whatever safety change they made was. Maybe they changed the geometry of both to be safer, and a better trigger as well?

I would highly recommend everyone send their single shots into Henry. Mine came back with a 3# pull, another persons was 3.5#, and another just over 3#. That is phenomenal, and it's at no cost to you. I used to say Ruger had the best customer service in the business, but I think that's wrong. I think Henry has them beat. Once this gun shortage blows over, I am thinking of trying their 12 gauge single shot.

Last edited by megasupermagnum; 09-11-2020 at 02:28 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Got mine back day before yesterday, I only sent the action and the buttstock, trigger is definitely better than when it went. I only fired six rounds since it came back with no misfires, before it went I would occasionally get a misfire, more range time needed to see if that has improved. Hammer pull does not seem to be as hard as it once was, I’m happy with the results.

Boolit Buddy

I've decided to send my .44 back for the recall. The lady at Henry said it would return with a 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 lb. trigger pull. Hopefully this will be it's last trip to Rice Lake.

My question now is this....I'm wondering if the HO15's currently sitting in dealer racks would have the upgrade? It would seem logical that dealers would be aware of this recall. Maybe...just maybe... I'll get a .357 single yet. Have any of you handled or purchased a new Henry single shot recently??

A friend has one in his shop, awaiting his return email notice. So yes, they will get updated. hc18flyer

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I'm thinking about buying a single shot .45-70. Probably going with the brass frame as it has the straight wrist stock, which I prefer. Williams makes a nice barrel mounted peep sight for H&R's which I use on my muzzleloader and should do great on the Henry.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned

having had a pair of henry singles, .223 and .357, i would more than hesitate to buy another - for me it was a terrible trigger, even with the "trigger fix" that i accomplished for each.

i just took receipt of a CVA scout v2 in .45-70 and the trigger is just excellent and what the henry should have been. overall, just a better gun and value, IMHO.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing that. I just can't do tupperware on a .45-70, sorry. They come out with a wood stock option and I'll bite.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Thanks for sharing that. I just can't do tupperware on a .45-70, sorry. They come out with a wood stock option and I'll bite.
    neither can i ... boyd's sterling thumbhole butt and fore stocks order is just awaiting restocking, but the traditional stocks are available.

whether a scout v1 (blue) or v2 (stainless), the final price tag will be less or equal to a henry s/s, or maybe a tad more.
    Last edited by rfd; 11-03-2020 at 09:06 PM.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920 LastLast