Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Henry Single Shot Initial Impressions

It sounds like it might be a keeper. Good shooting there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    Thanks for the review! I've been looking for a .308 and have pretty much settled on getting one of the Henry single shots. I have a Handi in .357 that is fun to play with - both smokeless and BP. I already load 30-30 so have a selection of molds that throw a variety of weights. I wish the Henry was available in 30-30 - would even like one in 32 H & R - but I understand that to offer them in every caliber to please all is not a good business decision. As time goes on, perhaps they will add other calibers.
    why not get a lesser caliber and get the barrel and chambered rebored? that's how i went from .40-65 to .45-70 and got a better chamber and rifling to boot (better cartridge, too!). ain't expensive at all. go call bobby hoyt in PA!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    why not get a lesser caliber and get the barrel and chambered rebored? that's how i went from .40-65 to .45-70 and got a better chamber and rifling to boot (better cartridge, too!). ain't expensive at all. go call bobby hoyt in PA!
    At that point you might as well have just got a TC encore. Unless that guy could do a rebore under $200?

Banned

it really all comes down to what rifle is wanted ... or needed.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the review. The trigger pull will probably lighten up after a few hundred firings. I've been interested in the 45-70 chambering, but you can't hardly find them anywhere. I'm hoping that the Henry can grab enough of the market to bring their price down a little and that they'll offer a bunch of different chamberings. Wildcatting one of these things would probably be pretty trivial. I would happily settle for some plainer wood if the gun was $300 or less. Maybe offer the nice wood as the deluxe model?

Banned

again, it all depends on yer requirement for such a gun/cartridge.

if it's range plinking or hunting, they're all more than capable of getting the job done (the henry s/s and the cva hunter s/s, both in .45-70).

if it's competitive steel or paper targets at any distance, nope, not gonna happen. like the H&R buff classic, not even close and a waste of money and time.

Boolit Buddy

My steel .44 Henry Single is going to require some action work before I even think about taking it hunting. I can imagine the buck of a lifetime giving a 3 second window of opportunity at 50 yards while I'm struggling with the last few pounds of this ridiculous trigger pull. It's a beautiful little rifle, well made and feels good in my hands but I can't understand what Henry was thinking when they put such heavy springs in them. This would make a good deer rifle with reduced loads for a young hunter (or an old man) but I doubt most kids would have the hand strength to cock the hammer.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by doghawg View Post
    My steel .44 Henry Single is going to require some action work before I even think about taking it hunting. I can imagine the buck of a lifetime giving a 3 second window of opportunity at 50 yards while I'm struggling with the last few pounds of this ridiculous trigger pull. It's a beautiful little rifle, well made and feels good in my hands but I can't understand what Henry was thinking when they put such heavy springs in them. This would make a good deer rifle with reduced loads for a young hunter (or an old man) but I doubt most kids would have the hand strength to cock the hammer.
    I still have not called Henry, but it really is heavy. I wish I had a gauge. I'm not too worried about it, I have stronger than normal fingers, but this is not a good kids gun as they come.

Banned

the trigger is at the heart of the action, and taking the shot. it's the achilles heel of the henry s/s (and sadly too many other guns). other than simply not giving a cr@p, and being more concerned over price point and thinking that nice wood is better for marketing, it makes no sense to offer an otherwise good gun with a 7 to 10 pound trigger pull. far cheaper rifles (i.e. savage axis II and ruger american rimfire) come with Great triggers that are even adjustable. geez.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I still have not called Henry, but it really is heavy. I wish I had a gauge. I'm not too worried about it, I have stronger than normal fingers, but this is not a good kids gun as they come.
    I haven't measured the trigger pull either nor called Henry yet. I have an RCBS pull gauge that goes up to 4 1/2lbs and getting the trigger to break calls for a lot more pull on the gauge than 4 1/2. I believe a realistic guess would be 8 lbs. and it's not creep free either. Was trying some offhand shooting at a 50 yd swinger (old eyes and iron sights) and it requires every bit of concentration I can muster up to get a shot off.

I'll check with Wolff today to see if they make springs for it and will call Henry on Monday. Henry has an excellent reputation for good customer service and I know they are getting other complaints on this issue. Maybe they have a fix in the works.

Edit to add...Just called Wolff and they do not currently have anything for the Henry but the man on the phone said they'd be looking in to it.
    Last edited by doghawg; 08-17-2018 at 12:42 PM. Reason: additional info

Boolit Buddy

Megasupermagnum

I'm not in the least intending to hijack your thread but as an update....Henry H015-44 is on a brown truck somewhere between here and Rice Lake Wis. After another range trip with the trigger pull that I decided is intolerable I noticed the buttstock is loose on the receiver. Called the Henry lady and a minute later had a UPS shipping label in e.mail.
    If you want me to start my own thread I'll do so or I can post updates on this one. Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by doghawg View Post
    Megasupermagnum

I'm not in the least intending to hijack your thread but as an update....Henry H015-44 is on a brown truck somewhere between here and Rice Lake Wis. After another range trip with the trigger pull that I decided is intolerable I noticed the buttstock is loose on the receiver. Called the Henry lady and a minute later had a UPS shipping label in e.mail.
    If you want me to start my own thread I'll do so or I can post updates on this one. Thanks
    I'm not paying rent on the thing. Keep us updated.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    doghawg - I'm assuming that when you had Henry on the phone, you asked about the heavy trigger pull? What was their response?

There is one thing about it . . . it's a new product for them and if they don't hear from those that have them about the heavy trigger pull, they can't address it. I'm still interested in getting one and will wait and see what and where this leads to if enough people call them about it.

Personally, I'm old . . . and I remember when gunmakers used to put good walnut stocks on their products not to mention high quality metalwork. I applaud Henry for paying attention to such details . . . at least they are an American company who is doing it unlike the direction others have taken with cutting costs and everything being plastic or junk wood stocks sprayed with toner to imitate walnut. I can remember when you bought a Remington that was a "Remington" and a Winchester that was a "Winchester" . . . and before all of the lawyer add ons that took away from the firearm.

Keep us posted on how your 44 trip to the factory goes and if anything is done about the heavy trigger pull. Inquiring minds want to know . . . . .

Boolit Buddy

bedbugbilly

The lady on the phone made no comment on the trigger pull and she was very polite. She told me there was no need to enclose a letter detailing the problems with the gun but I did anyway. I told the smith or technician to shoulder the gun and imagine trying to get an accurate shot off with what amounts to a three stage trigger.

I received an e-mail that it's at the factory and logged in for repairs. I really want to like this gun cause it's such a pretty and handy little rascal but I also am old....too old to pretend to be a gunsmith and fix this thing myself. My biggest fear is that they'll simply tighten down the stock bolt and send it back as is. We'll see.

Edit to add: I've only handled two other Henry singles and they had heavy pulls but not quite as bad as this one. That's the problem with buying on-line. I don't want to give the impression that mine is representative of all Henry SS's because I don't know. I've read a couple of tests of guns with 5 lb pulls....which I could probably learn to live with.
    Last edited by doghawg; 08-25-2018 at 02:08 PM.

It will be interesting to see what they do on it and I hope they pay attention to what you said and take a good look at the trigger pull. I have a Henry 22 - made with the Brooklyn barrel address so it's older - and I have never had an issue with it and love it - just don'[t shoot it though since the 22 cartridge shortage a few years back.

They look really nice and I've handled a number of their center fire lever guns as well at gun shops and like them for the most part. I can usually adjust myself to trigger pulls but like you, I'm older and would like to not have to fool with a gun that should be acceptable as far as trigger pull from the get go. Hopefully, they'll listen.

I'm going to e-mail them and ask if they are going to make the single shot in 30-30. I realize their marketing and sales in regards to what they produce - I figure if enough people ask over time though they will possibly add it. After all, if they make it in .308, seems to me that they could chamber the barrel in 30-30 with very little trouble. But they are in charge of what they make so time will tell.

Thanks for getting back on what they said. They are good folks and as far as I'm concerned, make a good product . . . sometimes when something new comes out, it takes some tweaking and they aren't the only gunmakers who have had to tweet . . . they have always seemed to be concerned with good customer service and providing a produc that will make repeat customers.

Boolit Master
    ive been wanting to see one of these henry's or see someone do a honest review about one,im a handi rifle fan and have owned a few 223,243 and my trusty 308 but keep thinking about a henry

Boolit Bub
    I drove 100 miles 2 days ago to Cabelas to pick up a 223 I had ordered on line. $359, beautiful dark wood and nicer lines than my handis. Interstate up and 2 lane back roads home so I could stop and shoot. OK with iorn sights, but not good enough (old eyes). Very heavy hammer and trigger. There was a very rough spot (burr) at the start then heavy but smooth pull. Putting heavy forward thumb pressure on the hammer I dry fired 6 times. Felt like I wiped 80% of the burr away and pull lighten some. I'm unsure about dry firing this henry, but thats been my first step to smooth and lighten pulls. After 30 live rounds and 50 dry, pull still has the burr, then a very slight and light movement then a relative smooth 6 lbs (est) to fire. Scoped accuracy is less than 2 inches. Thin barrel heats up very quickly. It was about a inch too long to fit in the box on the wheeler, but rather shorten the henry, as in the past with other rifles, I saw that I could cut through the inside wall of the box with a hole saw and make it fit. The rest of the time it leams against the wall in front of my recliner. It's purdy.

Boolit Grand Master

I decided to email Henry, and got a response the next day. The following is the reply...

"Thank you for owning a Henry rifle.

The normal trigger-pull weight range for our centerfire rifles is 5-6 lbs.

If your gun’s trigger pull weight is outside the normal range, please send the rifle back under warranty for our gunsmith to inspect and repair.

To do this, you can go to our web site and file a warranty claim by following the instructions here:

https://www.henryusa.com/henry-warranty/

A UPS return-shipping label will be generated and sent to you to cover the cost of shipping the rifle, which includes insurance. When it arrives, we will get this issue resolved for you."

I shot about 50 rounds Monday, and I was starting to shake from trying to pull the trigger. I thought I could live with it, but it's just too much. Without any aftermarket springs, it looks like I'll have to send it in.

Boolit Master
    I was really jonesin for one of these when they were first announced and have been waiting for them to make it to my local gunshows, but I think you guys have talked me out of it!!

So - maybe a stupid question but I'll ask anyway.

Scenario - you have a Henry that you want to send back to the factory for warranty work - you go to their site and file a claim and they send you a shipping label. Can you use their label and ship the rifle directly to them - possibly across state lines . . . or does it have to go from a FFL to the factory and then back to the FFL? I'm curious more than anything else as I'm sure it occurs on a regular basis with all gun mfg. when warranty work is required.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast