Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: 22-45 Failure to feed - Help!

22-45 Failure to feed - Help!

My daughter has a Target Model MkIV that had multiple issues. I installed the Volquartzen accurizing kit and it completely solved the failure to fire, the stove-piping, and gave it a great trigger pull. It still had some failure to feed issues. I polished all the moving parts of the magazines and it has worked flawlessly for at least 1,000 rounds.

So since that worked so well, I volunteered to do the same treatment to a friend of hers gun. It is s MkIV in 22/45. All went well, (Big shout out to Volquartzen!)
    But it still has failure to feed issues:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22-45 feed issue 8-18.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	225092

All of the failures look like the one above. Other than go back and polish the magazine parts, what else should I do?

PS - I know Ruger should have made a gun that worked, but they didn't. I'm not trying to turn this into a Ruger Bash, I am just requesting what can be done. Thanks

BNE
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master

I had that problem also with my 22-45 Ruger.
    I got some 400 grit sandpaper and polished the inside lips of the magazine. Don't over do it, or remove too much metal, just polish it.
    From your picture, it looks like the rim of the cartridge is not lifting out of the magazine as the bolt is pushing it forward.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    I had that problem also with my 22-45 Ruger.
    I got some 400 grit sandpaper and polished the inside lips of the magazine. Don't over do it, or remove too much metal, just polish it.
    From your picture, it looks like the rim of the cartridge is not lifting out of the magazine as the bolt is pushing it forward.
    THAT'S what I forgot to do!!! Now that you said that, I remember doing that on my daughters magazines. Thanks Hickory, that's why I love this sight.

BNE
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    What ammo are you using? My 22-45 was terrible with some brands of plated hollow point ammo. After figuring out it was a ammo problem, I've had very little trouble with Federal auto match with round nose lead bullets. Now when I have a fail to feed problem it is always cured by a long overdue cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by jimlj View Post
    What ammo are you using? My 22-45 was terrible with some brands of plated hollow point ammo. After figuring out it was a ammo problem, I've had very little trouble with Federal auto match with round nose lead bullets. Now when I have a fail to feed problem it is always cured by a long overdue cleaning.

true.my 22-45 mklll refuses to feed winchester 333-555 plated HP ammo correctly.a combination of hardness and coal is the culprit.it feed any federal plated,either the cheap champion 525 or match.....in fact, my 22-45 cycle anything 100% except the winchester bulk and ultra cheap remington golden farts (which suffers from a very high rate of duds anyways ) .

Boolit Buddy
    plated ammo will do this all the time. Remington golden are the worst. Shoot CCI or any lead rn lubricated bullet and problem goes away until lube builds up on feed ramp. If you have polished feed ramp this will take 500 to 1000 rnds before problem starts again. Had the same problem on a Beretta Neos and switched to non plated bullets and didn't have any problems until carbon buildup was the culprit. Even my Walther P22 with suppressor functions reliably with lubed bullets compared to plated which fail to feed on a regular basis

Boolit Grand Master

Love the Mark 4 that Inhave but my favorite is a 5.5” Mk 3 hunter with the LCI delete and a slick up. Now it feeds and chugs through whatever I put through it and with the 5.5” barrel is my favorite balanced Mark series. I had a Mk2 I foolishly sold off so this Mk3 will always stay.

Try a new magazine. Rugers work. That's what they do. Something is wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Every time my mark iv does that, I need to bend the feed lips in on the magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Try a new magazine. Rugers work. That's what they do. Something is wrong.

don't know...mine works with every ammo i feed it with,except the winchester 333-555

The sorriest .22 ammo I've ever seen was this past year with Winchester and Browning labels. It would jam a single action even.

Boolit Master
    Mine likes the Remington Golden bullets, especially those that came in the plastic boxes. The Winchester Wildcats were always on sale at the LGS, and for good reason. About half of them would fail to fire, and a lot wouldn't feed.It didn't take me long to quit buying them, even for my sons plinking excursions.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

When I added the kit and polished the mags for my daughters Target MKIV, and added the Volquartzen fining pin, it ELIMINATED the problems with specific ammo. I have since tried all the major brands in it and it always works.

With the 22/45 I can’t find a brand that works. I tried polishing the lips on one magazine as suggested in post #2 last night and it still won’t feed reliably. I’m going to take it to a gun smith and see if they can help. Will keep you folks posted. Thanks for the info.

BNE.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    I had a 22/45 and it was the biggest *** .22 (I also had a Taurus PT22 that blew goats) I have ever had. I tried everything to get that thing to eat right. If I ran anything but CCI mini mags, I would have one FTE or FTF every mag. I like my .22s to eat anything. Granted, the older I get, the more I find myself buying mini mags......but, I think a 22 should eat.

I have two MKII target pistols. One is a 5.5 and the other is a 6 7/8. Both of those guns will feed and cycle anything----even the metal case "Rooster" brand from Russia. I think the 22/45 is the black sheep of the Ruger family.

Man, I think I had some anger issues about that gun now that I reread this post!

Boolit Master

I have a 22/45 and have the same issue. Mine started after I cleaned it. From what I have read they are very picky about reassembly. They are also a pain in the rear to reassemble. After tearing it down a couple of times and putting it back together it finally works again. Check over on Rimfire central, there is a lot of info on these over there. I also had to put locktite on the front sight screw to keep it from loosening up.