WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading Everything

Thread: Lyman 319295- what for?

Boolit Master

Lyman 319295- what for?

I ended up with this mould in a trade. What caliber is it good for? I don't think it will work in anything I have, don't have any 32 caliber guns except auto pistols. Nice mould, even has handles.

Boolit Buddy
    Early 8x57 that used the .318 bore?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
    Early 8x57 that used the .318 bore?
    Or some of the Schutzen cartridges but most likely, since it is a GC design, the 8x57 Mausers. They were not necessarily "early" though as the J bore (.323) was outlawed after WWI in Germany so many 8x57s were made with the .318 bore. These were mostly quallity made hunting rifles. Those rought back from WWII would have created a demand for that bullet.

Larry Gibson

Moderator Emeritus
    Yes, "I" bore Mausers, Steyrs and such like.

If you ever want to pass it on shoot me a PM see if we could come to an arrangement.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    Springfield:

#319295 was actually introduced in Ideal Handbook No. 17 of 1906, as one of the first gas check designs for the new "high power" smokeless loadings. It was also available with a separate tip mould for casting soft-nose bullets, the tip cast in pure lead and dropped into the main mould to be filled with a harder alloy (a harder alloy could also be used with a softer body, to avoid nose slumping and insure "bump-up" in the body with BP loads). Ideal's description is interesting:

"319295 For .32-40 High Power Rifles. Should be made of No. 2 bullet metal; will weigh about 174 grains. The soft point bullet weighs a few grains more. Hunters with two moulds can make their own hard and soft point bullets. The proper charge is 22 to 23 grains' weight of the Hercules "Lightning" powder, or 23 grains weight Du Pont Military No. 21. The Marlin Fire Arms Co. state that they found this ammunition equal to the regular factory high power cartridges, and recommend it to users of their arms, if the loading is done in accordance with their instructions. They also state that, in their opinion, rifle barrels will last much longer if this bullet is used than they will with metal jacketed bullets. No. 3 special tool with double adjustable chamber [ancestor of the present 310 tool] must be used: price, [*sob*] $3.00. Muzzle of shell should be slightly crimped in the front groove.

"Price of single mould............................................. ..Special List, $1.50
    "Price of single mould for soft tip..............................Special List, 1.50
    "Price of .32-40 Caliber Gas Checks per thousand.....Special List, 1.10 [*gasp*]"

Although the tip moulds were dropped after a few years, the main mould was offered until 1978, the last few years as a special order item from Lyman.

Floodgate
    Last edited by floodgate; 09-21-2008 at 05:48 PM.
    NOV SHMOZ KA POP?

Boolit Grand Master

32-40 eh! Makes sense to me.

Thanks floodgate.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range

tight bored 32 W.Sp. ??

That boolit might also prove useful to those owning one of the .318 +/- barreled Marlin #'s in 32 Win Spec..(aka 32 high power).. Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Can't use gas checks in Schuetzen.
    Morgan

Boolit Buddy
    South Texas but sometimes it feels like Northern Mexico
    I have a .318 bore rifle. If Dromia doesn't want it send me a P, M.
    Thanks .

Super Moderator

..................Lets see, $3 in 1906?

Purchasing Power of Money in the United States from 1774 to 2007.

Current data is only available till 2007. $71.33 in the year 2007 has the same "purchase power" as $3 in the year 1906.

The above data from: http://www.measuringworth.com/ppowerus/result.php#

HA! The key here is "Purchase Power". You cannot Purchase anything with what you do not have. That $71 is AFTER TAXES people, we're being HOSED by taxes. Understand that the $3 in 1906 is MUCH closer to $100 in today's money PRE TAX then $71.

In 1906 the federal government didn't know you were alive. At most you would have possibly a property tax or some such from the county, and maybe if living in a town or city some other kind of fee or tax(es). If you made $3 a day, you put $3 in your pocket and went home. No fed or state income taxes, no SDI, no SS, no nothing came out of your paycheck.

...................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Banned
    GWB took his trusty DeLorean back in time and started all this tax nonsense...it has been and always will be GWB's fault.

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ..................Lets see, $3 in 1906?

Purchasing Power of Money in the United States from 1774 to 2007.

Current data is only available till 2007. $71.33 in the year 2007 has the same "purchase power" as $3 in the year 1906.

The above data from: http://www.measuringworth.com/ppowerus/result.php#

HA! The key here is "Purchase Power". You cannot Purchase anything with what you do not have. That $71 is AFTER TAXES people, we're being HOSED by taxes. Understand that the $3 in 1906 is MUCH closer to $100 in today's money PRE TAX then $71.

In 1906 the federal government didn't know you were alive. At most you would have possibly a property tax or some such from the county, and maybe if living in a town or city some other kind of fee or tax(es). If you made $3 a day, you put $3 in your pocket and went home. No fed or state income taxes, no SDI, no SS, no nothing came out of your paycheck.

...................Buckshot
    Buck- Do I detect the beginnings of a political rant? About time! I was wondering if you ever got wound up about anything!

Boolit Master

So my mould is worth 71.33? Sounds good to me!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    Buck- Do I detect the beginnings of a political rant? About time! I was wondering if you ever got wound up about anything!
    ..............Oh yes, I have my buttons

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance