Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 99 250/3000

99 250/3000

Just picked up a nice Savage 99EG in 250/3000 this AM. Hi condition but has scope
    on it. Shot it a couple times and quit wasting ammo it was hitting 6" at 10 o'clock
    with old Rem factory. I really wanted a 99 carbine model in 250/3000 but any 99 is
    hard to come buy in my area that is not 300 or 303sav. Book says 1950 by serial.
    I'm going to load up a box and put a K10 on it to see how it shoots. If Ikeep it the
    scope will come off and tang sight will go on. Working the action on these old 99s
    is slick compared to new levers. I have several 25 molds but the only ones I use
    much are for 25/20. Going to try one designed for 25/35.

Cool. Send a progress report.

If it's marked .250-3000 it probably has a 14" twist and won't shoot 100 gr or heavier pointy bullets well. No biggy the 87 gr Speer drops deer like lightning. Newton nailed it with this one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Nice pickup on the old quarter-bore.....I am sure you will make some ammo she likes. Back in my young days, I poo-poo’d guys that put scopes on lever guns. Those old guys have been found. They are me.
    Greg in West Mitten

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot a Ruger 250 and have had good luck with the following moulds under 100 grains;
    NOE 260-80 grain Ranch Dog
    Lyman 257464 90 grain
    Arsenal 257388 89 grain SP

Boolit Master
    That rife was the very first centerfire I shot. First round out of it dropped an Arizona javelina back in '62. It had one of the Marble aperture tang sights. Found out the Army did, too, and I have favored that type of sight ever since. I did my best to get it from the school bud that I borrowed it from, but no luck there. Best of luck finding a load for your treasure. GF

Shot the 250 today. No loads yet but my bro had box of factory Rem 100gr PSP. We used 5 of
    cartridges that came with the gun to get close to bull at 100yds, we didn't try to sight in just
    shoot for group. Out of 4/5 shot groups we got a 11/4", 15/8" and 2 rubbing 2". This was off
    bench with 10x.

I bought this rifle because of nice condition and it being 250/3000. I use to have a carbine model
    that I really liked for woods dear rifle. To tell the truth I'm not crazy about long barrel and pistol
    grip stock. Straight stock rifles seem to be better natural pointers for irons. The only woods rifles
    I have that are comfortable to me with irons are Rem 14 & 141. These and 99s are also the right
    contour for Tangs, which I have. The Wins & Marlins I have reciever sights on. Tangs are ok on
    them for targets but to me not good for shooting running deer in the thick stuff, where most of
    my deer are shot.

A nice post reticle Weaver K2.5 would serve you well in the brush and wouldn't look out of place on that rifle.

Boolit Master
    That it is a pistol grip is a bummer, but have you looked in swapping and selling, there is a parts gun that I think has a straight stock in good condition, don’t know about fitting it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    That it is a pistol grip is a bummer, but have you looked in swapping and selling, there is a parts gun that I think has a straight stock in good condition, don’t know about fitting it.
    The tangs are curved as is the lever. You'd have to do some serious work on it to convert to a straight grip. best option would be to trade it for what you want.

My 99EG is in .300, most common variant and most common caliber. I love it and it's a good cast shooter.

Boolit Master
    My observation on more than a dozen 99's I have here is that the action tangs are the same for all the straight and pistol grip models, with the lever curving after the tang ends. There are two tang lengths, basically before and after the 308, or short magazine 2.6 and long magazine 2.8 models. A straight stock and a straight lever will convert most. Fitting a straight stock is a job requiring care and skill, fitting a different lever is job requiring a gunsmith knowledgeable in Savage 99 mechanics. Accurizing the Factory Rifle by M L Mcpherson would help as he does discuss the 99.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    If it's marked .250-3000 it probably has a 14" twist and won't shoot 100 gr or heavier pointy bullets well. No biggy the 87 gr Speer drops deer like lightning. Newton nailed it with this one.

This is absolutely true you will quickly as you will have oblong holes in your together and accuracy will be minute barn.

Boolit Master
    My 99 was marked 250-3000 and had a 1-10” twist. It was made in 1954. Todd/3leg

I had a beat up 1899 takedown that had been made non take down. 250-3000 caliber; Weaver J2.5 in Stith mounts. It was too mangled to restore with gouges in wood and metal but the old thing would put 3 Sierra 75 gr hp in 1"@ 100 yds all day. I killed a doe at 75 yards with a brain shot with that old junker. I too prefer the straight grip on most lever actions.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 1953 99R in 250-3000, factory drilled and tapped for a scope. This one really likes the 87 gr Speer Hot Core bullet and it's taken several whitetails for me. It will shoot Speer 100 Hot Cores into 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards, best of any 100 gr bullets I've tried. The Speer is shorter and a bit more blunt than the Hornady or Nosler varieties so it stabilizes better in the 14" twist.
    One of these days I need to try cast in this one and my Ruger Tang Safe M77 250-3000. I cast several different bullets for my 25-20 WCF, but the biggest is a plain base version of the 257283 at about 89 gr.